Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about how you store your clothes......

(11 Posts)
MakemineaGandT Sun 13-Sep-09 22:30:12

I need a new wardrobe. I currently have bits and bobs spread through various cupboards in childrens' bedrooms, on hooks on backs of doors etc. I dream about an organised wardrobe - if you have one tell me about it! I dug out all my handbags today (all stuffed into the bottom of DH's wardrobe). Needless to say there were several I had forgotten about. There were 21 in total blush and I'm sure if I could see them all organised on a shelf I would use them more. I need to get myself a lovely new wardrobe but don't want to get it "wrong" and end up with a hulking piece of furniture that is still not going to do the job properly. I love those fancy armoire styles, but are they actually good for keeping stuff in a practical way? Do I need to go down the built-in route?

cyanarasamba Sun 13-Sep-09 22:33:15

Watching with interest. Currently have a large built-in wardrobe (not well organised but big enough to make up for this) but will be moving shortly to a place with no built-in wardrobes so I will need to start being a bit more clever!

MakemineaGandT Mon 14-Sep-09 13:16:20

anyone?

BonsoirAnna Mon 14-Sep-09 13:17:43

In a built-in wardrobe, on hangers. Shelves above for handbags and scarves. Racks under for shoes. And a very large walk-in wardrobe for longer term storage (clothes not of this season).

BonsoirAnna Mon 14-Sep-09 13:18:21

I wouldn't buy an armoire as my only wardrobe. I do think that proper built-in/walk-in wardrobes are more practical.

traceybath Mon 14-Sep-09 13:20:57

I have one double wardrobe with all hanging stuff in. And I must confess items are grouped into type, eg, skirts and then colours within that blush. Shoes are stored underneath.

All jumpers/underwear etc are stored in draws.

I also sort my wardrobe twice a year and put stuff thats the wrong season into plastic storage boxes which are then hidden away.

I also de-clutter my clothes regularly and get rid of stuff i no longer wear.

allaboutme Mon 14-Sep-09 13:25:17

Big built in wardrobe with everything hanging up apart from vest tops and leggings and underwear which are in drawers.
Big plastic storage box in bottom of wardrobe for belts and bags
Shoe rack for shoes
Shelf on top of wardrobe is used for things like small suitcases and over night bags

I also have big clear under bed storage boxes that I put away out of season clothes in when not in use

BerylCole Mon 14-Sep-09 13:59:23

I have one chest of drawers with three drawers - one for knickers and bras; one for socks, tights and leggings; one for PJs and other bits of underwear (negligees, camis, swimming cossie etc).

In my wardrobe I hang jeans, trousers, dresses, jackets and anything that has been dry cleaned and needs to hang. I then have an Elfa storage unit with 5 drawers (you can get cheaper version from Ikea). One drawer for scarves, one for belts, one for vests/little teeshirts, one for other tops, one for cardis & jumpers.

I store out of season clothes and shoes in big plastic crates under my bed. Coats and substantial jackets hung up in the hallway downstairs.

My main problem is shoes/boots. I own a lot of boots and havent got the space to store them all neatly....

Mimi1977 Mon 14-Sep-09 14:07:35

I have this problem - not enough space. I do however have several of the storage bags from The White Company which go under beds and they are a godsend.

Would love walk in Wardrobe!

happilyeverafter Mon 14-Sep-09 15:42:40

I have a chest of drawers which I keep nightwear, knitwear, underwear, swimwear, scarves, vests and leggings folded in.

I have built in wardrobes. Shelves along the top for shoes (kept in boxes), Hanging up I have those multi hangers that hold 5 pairs of trousers, one for smart trousers, one for bootcut, one for skinnies etc.

Then skirts and dresses hanging.

Then tops sorted by style and colour.

Then coats and jackets in a separate wardrobe.

Deep drawers in the bottom of the wardrobe hold bed linens atm, handbags all stored in the dustbags all in a huge canvas tote.

Will be getting a new bed soon that has storage underneath for bed linens so will regain lots of wardrobe space.

Big Ikea wardrobe, they are fab for loads of storagey bits and chest of drawers.

In wardrobe from top to bottom I have....

Shelf of folded knitwear.

Hanging rail of skirts, long sleeve tops, short sleeved tops, vests in that order and in each section sorted into colour.

Pull out wire basket drawer of jeans and bags.

Another drawer the same with everyones hats scarves gloves etc also housed my ponchos (oh yes) and wraps.

Another drawer for clothes I don't use much, fiimsy summer stuff, clothes to paint in, oddments really.

I the chest of drawers (all drawers are sectioned with dividers, clever Ikea)

Top drawer, Perfumes and jewellery bits and pieces, folded bras, rolled up knickers, socks, flimsy scarves ie not knitted.

Next drawer, swimwear, folded tee-shirts and vests, belts, little camisoley vests rolled up, tights.

The next drawer belongs to dd.

Bottom drawer sleepwear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now