Talk

Advanced search

Is your wardrobe full of things you don't wear?

(59 Posts)
Feelingoptimistic Sun 13-Sep-09 21:33:27

I was doing bit of a wardrobe declutter today, trying to get rid of things I don't wear. I try to do this fairly often.

Anyway I always find that I even after doing this, I think I only wear about one third of the things I own. Because there are always things I don't wear, but can't bear to get rid of because they are still nice or fairly new, but I just don't want to wear them for some reason...

Is it just me or is this fairly normal?

LetThemEatCake Sun 13-Sep-09 21:36:33

I think it's normal to own lots of stuff you don't wear, for whatever reason. I am one of those wankiferous people who think of items of clothings as 'pieces' and have them just because they are beautiful, not because I wear them much.

I also refer to shoes/ boots in the singular - as in "i found a really nice black stiletto today"

<<tosser emocion>> And proud of it!!

lupo Sun 13-Sep-09 21:54:50

Yep, have had a major declutter also, determined to only keep things I will def wear and buy things I really love and not just for the sake of it...just want less but nicer items that I love instead if lots of so so stuff

lupo Sun 13-Sep-09 21:57:30

though wish I had LTEC budget for clothes (envy)

used2bthin Sun 13-Sep-09 22:00:21

I defiantely have far too much stuff! Some of it I would like to sell but not sure I can be bothered with ebay. Also when I do have a big clear out I sometimes regret it.

cookielove Sun 13-Sep-09 22:00:24

i need to have a declutter but can't bare to, my beautiful clothes sad smile i also ahve a thin and fat wardrobe

fishie Sun 13-Sep-09 22:02:25

so long as they are actually nice clothes and stored properly it is good. bunch of scrumpled up new look / primark crap is not ok.

Feelingoptimistic Sun 13-Sep-09 22:04:50

Lupo - I agree - I always promise myself that I will buy less stuff, but only things I really love. And keep breaking my own rule !

purplepeony Sun 13-Sep-09 22:05:27

no sold it all on Ebay- have a good clear out every season- I don't buy many clothes but after a couple of years I ditch what I am not wearing.

recently made almost £200- go on- give it a whirl!

cookielove Sun 13-Sep-09 22:06:03

i cannoot afford any clohes at the moment so really throwing out what i already have would be shameful no? grin

StrumpetMajor Sun 13-Sep-09 22:07:14

I have a wardrobe full of clothes that are too small for me. I promise myself that I will slim down and fit in them again.

One day hmm

Flamesparrow Sun 13-Sep-09 22:07:30

I have loads of stuff I don't wear. Tried to declutter it over the weekend, but where I'm pregnant there was the whole "but I might if I wasn't lumpy" thing blush

I did charity shop the dress that I got when I was 18, that my norks won't have fitted in for at least 7 years...

MakemineaGandT Sun 13-Sep-09 22:10:32

yes but I feel really guilty getting rid of stuff (even to a charity shop) and feel guilty with every single thing I buy (even though can afford it...). Why?!!!!

Feelingoptimistic Sun 13-Sep-09 22:16:29

Me too GandT !
On the one hand, I love fashion and get a lot of pleasure out of owning/wearing nice things... But on the other hand, I do kind of think it's probably a waste of money (particularly when you make fashion mistakes or buy things which are similar to things you already own - this happens to me all the time...)

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Sun 13-Sep-09 22:19:57

Oh I would love someone to come round and declutter my wardrobe. I wear very little of what I have, but there is so much that I think there are probably lots of things I would wear if I ever saw them IYSWIM.

Evidenced by the fact that today I am wearing a lovely drapey mohair cardigan bought from Jigasaw about three years ago, that I can remember wearing only two or three times before. Accessorised with a brooch that I'd forgotten I had, until I admired my friend's the other day, and she reminded me I'd bought it for her & that I had one of my own!

Can't really afford to buy anything new at the moment either, so I am badly in need of help.

I am envy about having a wardrobe full of 'pieces' though.

But speaking of shoes as a 'stilleto' is a crime comparable to referring to 'a trouser' in my book grin

LetThemEatCake Sun 13-Sep-09 22:20:00

is there anyone out there who actually thinks they could do the Gok capsule thing? i love the idea of it but know I would get bored.

SixtyFootDoll Sun 13-Sep-09 22:20:33

I have a wardrobe full of mainly cheap tat
The advantage to that is I feel no guilt when i throw it away!

LetThemEatCake Sun 13-Sep-09 22:24:12

don't get me wrong, many of my so-called 'pieces' are either inexpensive things that I just happen to love or designer things bought heavily, heavily discounted (or in charity shops in moneyed areas)

grin re the shoe thing ... it's worse actually, I refer to "a pair of black trousers" (for example) as "a black pant"

"So we're going to team this cashmere cardigan with a black wool pant and a fabulous metallic boot...." ROFL

MakemineaGandT Sun 13-Sep-09 22:24:40

But SixtyFootDoll - if it is tat, what about the guilt relating to the poor child who sat stitching it in dreadful conditions/the landfill it is creating etc etc? I feel guilty about those things too. Perhaps I should worry less....

used2bthin Sun 13-Sep-09 22:29:25

LTEC I bought only coordinating stuff tis year. I am so bored of my colours now and am probably missing clothes that would look ok as I am only looking at the stuff I have allowed myself to! I also make mistakes all the time and feel bad at the money I waste when I know I can't afford to.

SixtyFootDoll Sun 13-Sep-09 22:32:18

G and T I blank it from my mind
I send my tat to be recycled - in fairness there is not that much as i dont buy lots of clothes anyway

TheMoistWorldOfSeptimusQuench Sun 13-Sep-09 22:33:57

"a black pant"?? Dear God, woman shock

Are you Trinny Woodall? grin

pyjamalama Sun 13-Sep-09 22:36:18

"is there anyone out there who actually thinks they could do the Gok capsule thing? i love the idea of it but know I would get bored."

No way. When we relocated back from overseas I tried it with one suitcase of clothes for 8 weeks while we waited for our container - a few pairs of trousers, jeans, skirts, one dress, one coat, sweaters, a couple of pairs of shoes. In theory they all went brilliantly together and provided lots of 'looks'. In reality I was SO fed up by week four that I had to go shopping

LetThemEatCake Sun 13-Sep-09 22:38:34

"Are you Trinny Woodall?"

Yes, I am she.

Elemental Sun 13-Sep-09 22:44:20

I think this, despite regular clearouts my wardrobe is still bulging (with cheapy stuff on the whole). Is even worse now cos have been on a bit of a spending spree as am 6 months post childbirth and feel a desperate need to look as nice as poss, even though I am on stat maternity pay and not exactly with a red hot social life.

And now I have a whole new type of wardrobe that I never had before - clothes for future pregnancies, clothes for immediately after birth, clothes for gradually-getting-thinner-body, it will never end!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now