Talk

Advanced search

Can you turn up jeans yourself?

(15 Posts)
HelenaBonhamCarter Sun 13-Sep-09 20:41:55

Bought two nice pairs of levis in TKM today, both £19.99 which was great. However one pair is a 32 and the other a 34 leg - I need a 30.

Can I do this myself somehow without it looking crap, or do I have to fork out for a professional to do it - and will they cut off the bottom bit if they do? I can't imagine it looking decent however you do it iyswim.

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Sun 13-Sep-09 20:44:02

Just pin them first before you cut the bottoms, just fold them underneith until you have the right legnth if this makes sense.

HelenaBonhamCarter Sun 13-Sep-09 20:47:02

Thankyou...sewing machine then? I'll have to fork out for one of those first as my old hand model doesn't work. I think you're right, hand sewing a hem would look dreadful wouldn't it.

Thanks btw

courtneylovescox Sun 13-Sep-09 20:48:43

just roll them up, 80s fashion is in

HelenaBonhamCarter Sun 13-Sep-09 20:51:05

I would but they are flared types!

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Sun 13-Sep-09 20:52:41

You can get stuff that you just iron on and it sticks the hem up for you. Fab stuff!

HelenaBonhamCarter Sun 13-Sep-09 20:54:11

I have got some wonderweb stuff but again witht he flare, i think it might not line up right.

I'll go and ask in tailors and see what they charge for it.

Thankyou smile

CHOOGIRL Sun 13-Sep-09 20:54:16

My dry cleaner does mine £8.50 and they look great

mermaidspurse Sun 13-Sep-09 20:54:47

hi, wash them first though cos they will shrink maybe a bit.
I am a vertically challenged person not having 34 legs eitherenvy
A shop owner told me that one of the jeans reps had given her this tip. Rub the new hem with a kitchen pad/brillo type thing to give it that aged, rougher edge that a lot of jeans have.

nancy75 Sun 13-Sep-09 20:55:30

dont take up jeans by hand, and dont , whatever you do use wonderwebb or anything like it - it looks bloody awful!
a dry cleaners will do them for about£5-£7 a pair and will do a proper job.

HelenaBonhamCarter Sun 13-Sep-09 20:57:16

Good tip, about the washing. Choogirl do they use yellow thread the same as the other seams?

HelenaBonhamCarter Sun 13-Sep-09 20:58:50

Thanks Nancy.

I guess seeing as they were a bargain it'll be worth it.

Bit depondent that I have gone up from a 30 to a 31 though...hmm waist wise I mean.

That can't be right!

nancy75 Sun 13-Sep-09 21:02:32

agree with washing them, jeans tend to shrink between 1/2 and 11/2 inches on the first wash.
dry cleaner will use the same colour thread as the other stitching.

HelenaBonhamCarter Sun 13-Sep-09 21:07:07

Ah then my 32s might be Ok after a wash.

Thankyou v much smile

blithedance Sun 13-Sep-09 22:44:40

Thanks for the brillo pad tip!

I shorten every pair of trousers I buy, but have learnt to wear/wash jeans a few times to get the length right. If you don't have a sewing machine it will look better professionally done and it isn't a big job.

I have been known to unpick thread from an inner seam to get the right tan colour for the new hem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now