Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

If I'm only going to own one lipstick, what should it be?

(19 Posts)
MaMight Sat 12-Sep-09 13:04:05

Something currently fashionable? And that would be.....?

A classic red?

Something that suits me, regardless of fashion? How do I find out what suits me?

Something muted?

Something vampish?

How much should I spend? What is a good brand?

I only wear make-up when I go out which is not terribly often.

BitOfFun Sat 12-Sep-09 13:10:48

Number 10 is my favourite.

Unobtrusive, but defines the lips and moisturisers. Close enough to real lips that you can apply it without a mirror.

frakkinpannikin Sat 12-Sep-09 18:17:18

Estee Lauder Crystal Baby - my new fave. I'm wearing it all the time and it has fabulous staying power.

bodeniites Sat 12-Sep-09 18:32:31

Estee Lauder bought from Ebay!!

purplepeony Sat 12-Sep-09 19:20:21

I've had Crystal Baby too.

Now on my millionth time with Clinique Adore u-

www.clinique.co.uk/templates/products/sp_shaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT1014&PRODUCT_ID=PROD65263

It's a sft shade and very glossy.

fishie Sat 12-Sep-09 19:23:19

you'll have to get your colours done. i can now swank around in teal eyeliner and pink lipstick and be confident it suits me. i'd never have had the nerve before.

purplepeony Sat 12-Sep-09 19:29:28

Best advice is to go to the beauty counters and be done"- recommend Bobbi Brown, Clinique and Estee Lauder- and also Prescriptives.

Price wise depends what you can afford.

Rimmel etc are cheap if you want to experiment with colour.

Don't rule out glosses either- they look younger imo and more casual. Clinique has won some awards for one of theirs- it does stay more than others I've had.

CybilLiberty Sat 12-Sep-09 19:31:50

Wear what suits, regardles of fashion.

It's only by trial and error that you will find this.

I am dark haired,' Irish' colouring and CHIC by no 7 is my favourite. But my Iranian friend tried it and looked like death.

MaMight Sat 12-Sep-09 19:39:08

What exactly does "get my colours done" mean?

And I am too scared to go near the nice ladies on the makeup counters. They wear SO MUCH SLAP. They cannot possibly be a good judge of what looks nice.

YouLukaSimplyAmazing Sat 12-Sep-09 19:49:48

Go to Bobbi Brown or Mac and get them to match a lipstick to your exact lip colour, or as close as damn it. It's amazing how flattering it is. Very friendly and helpful on the counters generally

purplepeony Sat 12-Sep-09 19:54:39

2nd that about B Brown- their look is to look "not made up"- and they are helpful.

Sidge Sat 12-Sep-09 19:58:28

I wear this in Nude Pink it lasts all day and you can slick the gloss over it to refresh it.

Elemental Sat 12-Sep-09 22:55:26

I am wearing that No7 in no 25 today.

My new lovely lipstik is MAC slimshine in Assertive, nice gold-y kinda nude for autumn.

Champagnesupernova Sat 12-Sep-09 22:58:44

Clinique Almost lipstick Black HOney Not quite gloss, not quite lipstick|Very lovely

janeite Sat 12-Sep-09 23:02:45

Black Honey is yummy. It's the only lipstick I possess that I don't eat or rub of within seconds of putting it on.

janeite Sat 12-Sep-09 23:03:50

off

Elemental Sat 12-Sep-09 23:08:44

Yes, Black Honey is very versatile. I don't know if it was just the one I had though, but the lip never stayed on it so it was hard to take it anywhere without it smearing on things.

sleeplessinsuburbia Sun 13-Sep-09 02:58:04

Black honey again!

jabberwocky Sun 13-Sep-09 03:02:09

Christian Dior Indian Red

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: