Talk

Advanced search

Outfit (size 16) for first 'proper' night out in ages

(8 Posts)
silver28 Fri 11-Sep-09 14:02:10

Please help. I have two events coming up and i need an outfit. The first is a ladies networking event that i'm going to for work (dresscode: 'dress to impress' - great, thanks) and the following night i'm going to Birmingham with a couple of old school friends for a night out (meal and drinks,don't think we'll stretch to a club!).

My DS is 18mo and i haven't had a night out where i've had to dress up since i was pregnant. Unfortunately i'm fatter now than i've ever been before so i have to buy a new outfit - normally something i'd enjoy doing but i'm bigger than i want to be (so feel like crap in everything) and i have no idea what suits me.

I'm about 5'10'' and a size 16. My boobs aren't huge and my tummy has a that post-baby flab thing going on. (God, i sound delightful don't i?!)

Ideal length for a dress or skirt would be just below the knee - my legs are big but i don't mind showing my calves. And I've already worked out that i look fatter if i wear something too high necked.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any suggestions. I'm going to the trafford centre on monday so should hopefully have access to a wide range of shops there, or can buy online.

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Fri 11-Sep-09 15:00:09

What about this Phase Eight dress? I reckon that it is smart enough for the networking, yet stylish enough for the meal and drinks.
Also the detail on the front should be very forgiving on your tum and the waist detail will be very flattering.

You could wear with heels for the networking and knee-length boots for the meal out.

Marian trim dress

According to Phase Eight's site, Debenhams at the Trafford Centre stock their range as do John Lewis.

silver28 Fri 11-Sep-09 15:03:40

Thanks Florence, that does look nice. It's got arms in it which is a big plus! It's a bit more drapey than i'd normally have gone for, but i have to remember that my body has changed and i look bloody awful in the sort of stuff i used to wear! i know they sell phase eight in john lewis so will look for it there.

BunnyLebowski Fri 11-Sep-09 15:36:46

Love that one Florence - you're taste is so similar to mine!

Silver28 - What about either of these? With some good underwear they would both be very flattering.

lovely

also fab

silver28 Fri 11-Sep-09 15:53:26

Wow Bunny - you are spot on! Those are the two dresses i have had my eye on since i started searching (i've not had chance to try them on yet, was plannign to when i go shopping next week). I especially like the blue one, as i love the red one but thought the neck line might be unflattering for me.

i was worried that the shape might not suit me now - it is the sort of thing i def would have bought when i was slimmer - but, as you say, the right underwear could help.

BunnyLebowski Fri 11-Sep-09 15:59:49

Oh goody grin

Yep the red one might be a bit too fussy around the neckline.

The blue however would give you a lovely subtle cleavage and would look stunning!

They must have a monsoon in the Trafford Centre - get thee there and try on!

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Fri 11-Sep-09 16:14:51

I vote for the blue one. smile

pasturesnew Fri 11-Sep-09 19:00:13

I like this Red Amaya dress from Coast for the networking but I think that the other ones suggested above are really nice too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now