Talk

Advanced search

Uggs - why ?

(34 Posts)
MaryAnnSingleton Thu 10-Sep-09 16:44:59

that's it really..they look stupid and worse are pretend uggs..and worse than that even,the horrid knitted slippery looking things...

muggglewump Thu 10-Sep-09 16:46:25

I've only had pretend ones, and I will buy more because they are comfy and warm.
So there. <pokes out tongue>grin

roomforthree Thu 10-Sep-09 16:46:50

in a word - comfy.

MaryAnnSingleton Thu 10-Sep-09 16:55:53

comfy but ridiculous looking !

smackapacka Thu 10-Sep-09 16:57:22

smelly

Fimbo Thu 10-Sep-09 16:57:58

I detest them for the fact some people walk inwardly on them but having said that I supervise at lunchtime in a school and would imagine them to be superb for standing around in cold weather in the winter.

PersonalClown Thu 10-Sep-09 17:00:26

I only wear the cheapy fake pair I've got when 2 pairs of sock, tights and chunky boots ain't just gonna cut it!
I swear I'm cold blooded!!grin

slyandgobbo Thu 10-Sep-09 17:02:05

So comfy and warm if you have fat cold feet. Like walking in little footbeds. I don't care how stupid they look.

Ponders Thu 10-Sep-09 17:02:30

Comfy & warm & not at all smelly, I love mine, mmmmmm.

(I wear them under jeans though so you can only see the tops)

slyandgobbo Thu 10-Sep-09 17:05:18

Feet are lovingly cradled by the smelly sheepskin. Like wlaking on individual clouds.

Fimbo Thu 10-Sep-09 17:09:28

Can you wear them in wet weather?

MaryAnnSingleton Thu 10-Sep-09 17:13:43

it's the way they get trodden down (walking inwardly as Fimbo suggests) that looks so horrid...mind you I loathe Crocs too and I have a dislike of those silly plimsolly things teenagers wear (but love Converse - now those have style)

Ponders Thu 10-Sep-09 17:43:03

I spray mine with suede waterproofing stuff, Fimbo. Need to keep doing it though.

Fimbo Fri 11-Sep-09 11:27:48

I want something like them for my job (which involves standing outside) for winter, it is the soles that worry me.

Ponders Fri 11-Sep-09 11:28:53

Oh the soles are 100% waterproof & quite thick too - hang on, will go & measure them.

Ponders Fri 11-Sep-09 11:31:56

15mm at the front, 20mm at the heel. They would be perfect for standing around on wet days (just avoid deep puddles smile)

Mine are the flat soles - although they do have a good tread pattern - but they also make them with thicker chunkier soles.

HolyGuacamole Fri 11-Sep-09 11:32:06

I have the fake ones. OK, they are not the most gorgeous things in the world and I only wear them when messing around outside....but they are so cosy and warm. I bought another fake pair the other day to use as slippers in the house.

Fimbo Fri 11-Sep-09 11:34:32

Oh thanks for that Ponders, just realised I mentioned about my job further down the thread (I am going loopy I think). Just need to get my head round the price of the fugly things now! grin

gorionine Fri 11-Sep-09 11:37:15

I can understand them in the winter, they look very warm but it hmmme when I see people wearing them in this nice weather!

I never let my dcs buy any because whenever I walk behind a child wearing them I notice they walk all funny and the uggs are all mishaped, surely it cannot be good?

Ponders Fri 11-Sep-09 11:40:16

The "Official" Uggs are actually made in China hmm

There are proper Australian Uggs for half the price which I have not tried yet but plan to - eg here and here

BerylCole Fri 11-Sep-09 11:44:09

Not since the dreaded Croc has there been such a 'Marmite' item of footwear! grin

Love 'em. Comfy, warm, practical and I think they look great with skinnies or leggings/thick tights and a dress or long top. As I've said on other threads, my personal 'Urgh!' boot is the Fly London-style ones. make even the daintiest of wearer look like a honking great club footed oaf.

Fimbo Fri 11-Sep-09 14:00:17

These would be ideal for me but they don't have my size <<wail>>

Tidey Fri 11-Sep-09 14:05:09

I had two pairs of fake ones last winter but they had soles that may as well have been made out of Oasis. If it rained whilst I had them on my socks were absolutely soaked. If I get any more this winter they will have to be the kind that cost more than £8 I think.

Ponders

Try also here, I have Jumbo uggs, they are 3 years old and still going strong.

Also Celtic Sheepskin make in the UK, my kids have these, they will replace soles and panels etc so they will basically last for life.

happilyeverafter Fri 11-Sep-09 14:16:41

The genuine Uggs (meaning Decker/Ugg Australia) don't have the inwards rolling thing - that's the cheapie ones.

I have four pairs of Uggs and they are perfect winter footwear for me. I like having jeans tucked in so the bottoms don't get wet and yukky. I like the way they look. My feet have never gotten wet even in rain. They clean up nicely if I get stuck in a muddy field. They are lovely and warm but never hot. I'm a sucker for sheepskin between my toes.

So that's why for me. Although I do love boots in general and have lots of other pairs/styles too but these are my staples

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now