Talk

Advanced search

Where to buy clothes for the very elderly?

(20 Posts)
gagamama Thu 10-Sep-09 15:54:38

I realise this is probably totally the wrong place to post this, but there doesn't seem to be an 'elderly' section!

It's my nan's 95th birthday in a few weeks and we're throwing her a tea party at her care home to celebrate. She doesn't really want anything in the way of presents, but would love a new frock to wear on the day, and probably needs new day-to-day clothes too (she probably hasn't been clothes shopping for about 15 years and isn't, erm, completely continent, sorry if TMI, so really could do with some new things!)

I can't think of anywhere at all that would sell the kind of things she wears - very heavy polyester dresses with some kind of print and buttons (usually) all down the front. This is the closest I can find to what she already has, but they're a bit garish for my old nan. She prefers pale pastels.

Does anyone have any idea where I would obtain such a garment? I know there are places that do them because I'm forever throwing away pamphlets for them that fall out the Sunday paper. Thanks!

Disenchanted3 Thu 10-Sep-09 15:56:44

Bon March? or is it Marsh?

CybilLiberty Thu 10-Sep-09 15:57:03

Oh that website is so sweet. They all look like my Nana. Have you tried Littlewoods/Debenhams or Bhs?

smackapacka Thu 10-Sep-09 15:58:00

M&S?

Edinburgh Woollen Mill?

I work with elderly people but they just seem to look afetr stuff so well it lasts for years and they never update anything.

I think you could go down the high street and see stuff that you'd never even noticed before with different 'eyes'.

CybilLiberty Thu 10-Sep-09 15:58:05

look at him with his expand a band trousers

MrFlibble Thu 10-Sep-09 15:58:14

My Gran is 86 and loves things from the Co-op, BHS and M&S classic section. Not sure whether you would find any of those dresses there though sorry!
Theres a thought... Where DO they buy them from?!

smackapacka Thu 10-Sep-09 15:58:21

Bon Marche!

gagamama Thu 10-Sep-09 16:05:02

I did think of Bon Marche, but it's not quite elderly enough, IYSWIM! Same with M&S and BHS. My gran who died this year at 85 loved clothes from their classic ranges, but this is a whole other realm of old ladyishness!

I'm sure there must be shops that cater for this... I know my uncle got her a new dress for my cousins wedding about 6 years ago, which was probably the last new outfit she had, aside from nightwear.

Maybe I should try M&S ect first though.

alypaly Thu 10-Sep-09 16:06:15

bon marche or debenhams have some nice things

gagamama Thu 10-Sep-09 16:06:24

Cybil, I know! Aren't they sweet? grin

alypaly Thu 10-Sep-09 16:07:38

Go to a really good dress agency if she is incontinent, you can gets lots of things there and most of them look brand new. You can just throw away if they get too solied and replace them quite cheaply.

bodeniites Thu 10-Sep-09 16:10:15

Boden apparently

CMOTdibbler Thu 10-Sep-09 17:03:21

I'm thinking you want Daxon

colditz Thu 10-Sep-09 17:06:02

We have a bloke on the market who sells heavy polyester dresses with a floral print.He has about 100 of them on a rack, all slightly different, all about £15. He also sells very short leg, stretch waist trousers, tarten skirts, and odd 'silky' stretchy tops.

bigTillyMint Thu 10-Sep-09 17:06:16

So that's where they all buy their clothes grin

At least they have models who reflect their customer base - unlike all the high street shops, grrr!!!

dexter73 Thu 10-Sep-09 17:38:02

Damart was a favourite of my granny - she would have loved this dress.

PortBlacksandResident Thu 10-Sep-09 17:38:41

Another vote for Edinburgh Woollen mill here - we got some lovely soft knits for my grandmas from there.

Eve4Walle Fri 11-Sep-09 09:20:03

This is where my Nan (aged 89) gets all her stuff. We take the laptop over and she chooses what she wants. smile

Damart

PippiL Fri 11-Sep-09 15:43:32

My gran (89) buys things out of special old people catalogues.

Generally you can find adverts for these kind of places on magazines such as Good Housekeeping! No really.

She likes them cos they have details like elasticated waist bands. Gotta think comfort.

geordieminx Fri 11-Sep-09 16:10:56

Charity shop/ebay?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now