Talk

Advanced search

help.. I need a fancy pancy dress!

(18 Posts)
akhems Thu 10-Sep-09 10:38:57

been invited to a posh do in a couple of weeks and I'm going to have to wear a proper dress which is not something I usually do.

I'm five foot and about a size 20/22 depending on shop/cut. Pics are on my profile - I'm about 3 stone lighter than those but same shape (apple??)

been looking at this one

but I'm not sure if I'd look like a brick cos of being such a shortarse.

Help please O wise mumsnetters

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Thu 10-Sep-09 12:58:49

I quite like it, but I am not completely convinced that it is the best shape for you -I think that it might look too sacklike. I am short too and I can be easily overhwelmed. You are looking great by the way!

I am happy to find some other possibilities. Are you happy with having your arms out? How are your legs? What is your price range?

geordieminx Thu 10-Sep-09 13:01:58

I think chiffon will cling and highlight every bump and lump - also not a good length for height (I'm 5"1) - you need something fitted, structured - whats your budget?

geordieminx Thu 10-Sep-09 13:05:13

You are looking great btw.

Did you know Monsoon do a size 22 - anything take your fancy here? Are you ok with sleeveless?

BunnyLebowski Thu 10-Sep-09 13:06:18

No not that dress. It won't flatter you AT ALL.

As geordieminx says the chiffon will cling to everything and the length of the dress is all wrong for someone your height.

What colours do you look best in?

What body bits do you want to show off/hide?

Budget? What about shoes - can you wear heels?

Oh and congratulations on the weight loss - 3 stone is fantastic!

BunnyLebowski Thu 10-Sep-09 13:07:26

this is available in a 20 and is gorgeous

MichKit Thu 10-Sep-09 13:07:54

You'd look lovely in a romantic fitted style dress with all that lovely hair...!! I'd go for a slightly shorter length too.

BunnyLebowski Thu 10-Sep-09 13:09:23

have linked to this one before. It's stunning, so unusual and would look fab with your dark hair

BunnyLebowski Thu 10-Sep-09 13:12:47

this is very pretty and half the original price so a bargain!

from the same site - very va va voom!

akhems Thu 10-Sep-09 15:29:28

ooh thanks everyone

I'm not used to wearing dresses - normally in jeans or trews and my legs are still pretty fat and cankle-like, with the added decoration of beautiful hmm varicose veins on the left one, lol

Budget probably up to about £100 if it's something I'd be able to wear again, I'm not great at heels so could probably manage about 2-2.5 inches, size 5.

My arms are very wrinkly and uber bingo winged but I'm happy to wear a shawl or shrug or something.

Going to look at the links now, thanks again!

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Thu 10-Sep-09 15:48:15

Bunny, all of those are great. I think that Curvety site is a real find - the clothes look like they would actually flatter curves rather than just bag them!

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Thu 10-Sep-09 15:48:15

Bunny, all of those are great. I think that Curvety site is a real find - the clothes look like they would actually flatter curves rather than just bag them!

akhems Thu 10-Sep-09 15:59:29

They're all lovely.. could I really get away with wearing something so short? I love the kimono dress and the boudoir lace one on the curvety site.. and this one on the monsoon site but that's uber ££ for something I'll probably only wear once. I just never envisaged myself wearing anything so lovely before

I have very saggy boobs but an E cup so it would need to be able to accomodate/support those I think. If I'm honest everything's gone saggy but I've lost nearly 12 stone so that's the payback for it I spose, I do have some pretty good squash it in and stop it wobbling garments blush

geordieminx Thu 10-Sep-09 16:07:33

Wow congrats on loosing 12 stone!!

If you bought the monsoon dress as long as you looked after it you could sell it on ebay and get most of the cost back?

Saw this on ebay and thought you would look lovely in it - alternatively get something uber £££ off ebay for a fraction of the price>?

akhems Thu 10-Sep-09 16:11:36

Thank you geordieminx.. I love that one!!!!

akhems Mon 14-Sep-09 10:07:36

Just to let you know I've ordered the kimono dress from Evans, will see what it's like when it arrives.. was thinking to wear it with black opaque tights and I've got some mid-heel mary janes, would that work?

BunnyLebowski Mon 14-Sep-09 13:15:25

Oh fab! Black opaques and mary janes sound great!

Give us an update when it arrives!!

akhems Tue 15-Sep-09 06:07:25

will do!!!

I've been dreading this party but now I'm actually starting to look forward to it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now