Talk

Advanced search

Help - lost my fashion mojo

(9 Posts)
MissHairspray Thu 10-Sep-09 07:11:41

Morning ladies, after a year and a half in the fashion wilderness that is pregnancy and post-natal i'm now going back to work and ready to try and make a bit of an effort again. Trouble is although i'm almost back to my old size the stuff I used to wear now feels too young, girly and muttony (lots of 60s style pinafores and minidresses) and my usual shops (topshop, h&m) just don't seem to do it for me anymore. So what should I go for and where should I shop? Luckily my office isn't that formal but I do want to look smart and a bit fashionable. I'm 27, size 10 on a good day, 5'6, legs are probably my best feature and newly acquired mum tum definitely the worst. Help!
(ps - don't say Cos, banana republic or gap - live in the NE and don't have any of these near by).

nickschick Thu 10-Sep-09 07:24:12

Cant you recycle any of your stuff and wear them over skinny jeans or black trousers?

pleasechange Thu 10-Sep-09 07:35:58

zara has some nice work-type dresses in (not sure if there would be one near you though). Also don't laugh, but m&s has some good work dresses in also

DrEvil Thu 10-Sep-09 07:38:25

I am currently working wool dresses and cord skirts with thick rights, black and coloured with either ballet flats or biker boots or riding boots. I think it looks ok! I'm 31 and a size 12. Maybe some of your old minis could work that way too?

Maybe try Uniqlo online, I also buy a lot of stuff from Gap (sorry), stuff from Boden (mainly in the sale), Crew Clothing, White Stuff, my friend said M&S had some nice wool minis ATM but I haven't checked them out yet.

Will come back if I think of any more

Jewelsandgems Thu 10-Sep-09 08:55:27

Can't you wear your old minidresses over leggings, and layered over a long sleeved T? At 27, you can still totally get away with that look (unless your mum tum is meaning those dresses are not looking as flattering around that area as they once did?) In which case, tea dresses are good for disguising tummy area, and a print hides lumps and bumps and also foodstains grin blush)

MissHairspray Sat 12-Sep-09 08:59:42

Thanks for the ideas, unfortunately I got rid of most of my old clothes about 5 months ago in a 'i'm never going to get in to any of this ever again' moment so i'm starting from scratch. I do love wearing boots and thick tights so might get some biker boots and try with leggings as well for the weekend, and then maybe some smarter knee highs for work. I think really I probably look absolutely fine but am just in the middle of an identity crisis.
PS - we don't even have a zara here (Newcastle) anymore - grrr.

FrameyMcFrame Sat 12-Sep-09 09:32:36

Hi MissHairspray, I am having the same problem but I am 35... I also live in Newcastle and having problems shopping. I'm going to check out Warehouse this morning as I need something to wear back to work next week.

Mimi1977 Sat 12-Sep-09 09:55:19

White stuff have some great tunics and dresses to wear over jeans and leggings which are great for being loose around your tummy.

Pre-baby I used to get loads of stuff from Jigsaw but they seem to have really put their prices up but besides that stuff doesn't really go in the washer which you need as a new mum!

Now I get lots of stuff online from White Stuff, Kew and Boden as my DD has just turned one and feel tight dragging her round a load of shops and changing rooms as she gets bored. Much easier to do online and try in the comfort of your own home.

happilyeverafter Sat 12-Sep-09 10:09:36

I started back to work this year after 3 years away.

My old work suits were too formal for my new role, I didn't want to spend a fortune but needed to look nice.

I bought some good black trousers from Principals and Oasis (high waisted and smart) a dark plain knee length bubble hemmed skirt from Primark and then bought some plain tops (M&S) and gradually have acquired some nice knitwear to work with everything.

I got some cardis from Next but they lost its shape quickly, lots from Boden in the sale (and a few that weren't) two from French Connection that I would wear out or to work on a smarter day and one from Jigsaw.

I bought a couple of statement necklaces too which I wore with just the plain tops and linen trousers in summer.

I think to start off I invested in two pairs of trousers/skirt/three plain tops/two cardis and the rest has been added gradually since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now