Talk

Advanced search

Going red from blonde highlights. Madness or shall I do it?

(14 Posts)
Jewelsandgems Wed 09-Sep-09 21:21:53

I currently have full head highlights but we are starting our own business at the moment and just don't have any spare money for my highlights. I have been red before and it looked great.

I would be doing this myself with a home kit. Was thinking of clairol perfect 10. Would it even work?? Pure madness to even attempt it? Or, have tint at Hairdressers first, then carry on with home maintainance?

Anyone with anyone experience please help!

Also, my roots are going to be lighter than the colour, so I will be doing my roots very often - will this damage hair/lead to overload of colour (you know, when you see that dyed dull hair)

The other option is a light warmish ash brown (that sounds suspiciolusly like my 'mousy' natural colour)

Which is easiest to wear? Have pale skin, blue eyes.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 09-Sep-09 21:25:46

I will say this emphatically.

YOUR HAIR WILL GO PINK

A work colleague had hightlights, died her hair at home with an auburn colour. The highlights went pink. Proper Barbie pink.

Bless her, she endured the laughter and walked round work collecting a pound from everyone who laughed and took the piss, and donated it to Breast Cancer research.

She had to go to hairdresser and have it died mid brown at huge cost.

Don't try the brown either as the bleached bits will go a khaki colour.

For drastic colour changes you really need to go to a hairdresser - try some local ones and see if they have model nights. Aint work risking it at home!

Jewelsandgems Wed 09-Sep-09 21:36:40

Oh no definately don't want pink hair. Or khaki. blush

Well then, that is my answer. Will have to have a mixture of high and lowlights next time and hope this bridges the gap between that and a home colour.

harleyd Wed 09-Sep-09 21:43:52

yep..deffo pink
its pretty funky tho

JRocks Wed 09-Sep-09 21:45:34

Definitely go to a hairdresser, and then eventually you may be able to get a base from which you can do it yourself.

Jewelsandgems Thu 10-Sep-09 08:51:11

ok well how about instead of going to have highlights, uding a perfect 10 in a blond colour? Really am trying to avoid the spending on £££ as you can tell.

JRocks Thu 10-Sep-09 09:01:39

I do know how you feel, I did it myself last year, went from blonde highlights to dark brown in one hit. DP was a bit shocked! The thing is, I used professional Wella colour to do it (am freelance stylist) and even then I gave it two goes. And then got bored of it quickly.

I do think it would be worth seeing a hairdresser at least the first time, to even out the colour can be really tricky and home dye kits can react to salon colour sometimes (and vice versa). Then maybe you could keep up the colour with colour baths/shine rinses/semi permanents.

I just don't want to say go for it when I've seen things go really wrong IYSWIM?

southeastastra Thu 10-Sep-09 09:04:23

ive dyed my hightlighted hair auburn, it didn't go pink, went um auburn though used semi perm

PutDown Thu 10-Sep-09 11:43:33

I have used Perfect 10 in an ash blonde shade over highlights and worked fine.
The next time I used a browner shade in order to return to my brunette roots,and it was equally fine.

Jewelsandgems Thu 10-Sep-09 19:09:14

putdown that gives me a ray of hope I may try that then, and each time go a little darker. What condition did it leave your hair in?

PutDown Thu 10-Sep-09 19:12:47

No problem with condition at all,but to be on sfe side I used an intensive conditioner a few times a week afterwards.
I used dark ash blonde or something first,which slightly darkened my hair,then next time a light brown.

Jewelsandgems Thu 10-Sep-09 20:09:51

putdown an important question; are you glad to be no longer blonde? I mean, I hear it all the time that a darker colour will suit my colourng better and i know that. But I have been blonde for a long time and feel that it is kinda part of me. I enjoyed being red though, it was lots of fun....

HarryB Thu 10-Sep-09 20:57:53

Jewelsandgems, I went from blonde highlights to auburn but I got a hairdresser to do the first attempt. As many have said, you can't put red over blonde without it going pink so my hairdresser put a darker colour over it then an auburn tint. I have since been putting Clairol Nice & easy on once a month. I get the 24 shampoos one as I'm too pussy to go permanent colour.

PutDown Thu 10-Sep-09 22:26:20

Jewels,actually yes.I felt I had got into the 'highlighted forties' rut.ifyswim.
Darker hair suits me better really,and is much easier (and cheaper) to maintain,plus I love the glossiness of it.
I t isn't too dark,just a milk chococlate colour.
I may go lighter in the summer,but am loving it now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now