Talk

Advanced search

I need something for a funeral

(11 Posts)
Marvin Tue 08-Sep-09 14:43:19

Is this an OK place to ask for clothing recommendations?

I only own informal colourful clothes - I can muster something for a wedding, but nothing suitable for a funeral. DHs family are traditional and mindful of etiquette. So I need to find something that is black / grey, stylish and will make me look passably well-groomed. I am short, size 10-12, nearer 40 than 30 and only ever shop online.

Could anyone please, please help, as I have many, many other things I need to spend my time on.

missmelly Tue 08-Sep-09 15:57:11

something like this??

do you have a budget in mind?

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 08-Sep-09 16:02:15

Hi Marvin

I faced a similar problem recently.

I went for all black with grey pashmina thing on top. People were dressed much more informally than I had anticipated.

There are lots of grey knitted dresses available in the shops at the moment (some more appropriate than others):

www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/fashion/Dresses/Viv-Print-wrap-dress/200788152?colour=grey

larger selection of dresses here

Any good?

bishboschone Tue 08-Sep-09 16:04:03

I know you said online but i am going to a funeral on friday and I have no use for smart clothes so don't own any. I biught a lovely fitted black dress from Tesco for "£20. It is a work dress but plain and lovely detailed make it look smart . I will wear with black shoes. Job done.

Marvin Tue 08-Sep-09 16:16:31

wow - personal shoppers and so fast - thanks!

Missmelly - that's the sort of budget - I think dress plus wrap would be a better combo for me, than a suit. And I don't think my arms bare baring these days!

Counting: I think your outfit sounds great. I think black and grey would be required given the family and the age of the deceased relative, but not suit / hat etc. I do like the phase eight dress: is there any way to tell whether it's washable??

bishboschone: tesco is a shop I do go in, but the nearest two don't stock clothes sad otherwise your dress sounds just the ticket

Any others?

missmelly Tue 08-Sep-09 17:32:54

I like that Phase eight dress too - but they dont give much information do they, not even what the fabric is

Marvin Tue 08-Sep-09 20:40:31

bump please

and where can I look for shoes / boots?

thanks....

KristinaM Tue 08-Sep-09 22:19:36

if you only wear bright informal clothes then dont spend £80 on a dress you will never wear again. there are lots of plainish black/grey dresses or tops/skirts out there, just get soemthing cheap.Don't you have a single top that would do? In grey, dark brown, navy, dark purple? then just get smart black trousres or skirt to go with it

borrow something from a conservative friend? Esp a good jacket or coat that will smarten up a dark t shirt

fin42 Tue 08-Sep-09 22:44:29

I agree with kristinam, basically, unless you wear something very flamboyant nobody really notices what you wear. Think 'fading into the background'. Borrowing from a friend is a good idea, dark trousers and jacket to match with a top in white, cream or grey.

Countingthegreyhairs Wed 09-Sep-09 13:14:28

Hi again Marvin

At office so jsut dropping in to say have e-mailed Phase Eight about their dress and asked for more details. Agree that this info. should already be listed on their website.

Awaiting reply!! Will get back to you!

Countingthegreyhairs Wed 09-Sep-09 13:17:53

Btw, meant to say - agree - as long as you have obviously made a bit of an effort and look, neat, clean, presentable - then all will be fine.

Just one thing though - went to an Irish (Catholic) funeral not long ago - older generation - and was quite taken aback by how glamorous/dressed up people were. You will still be fine in darkish coat/suit/shoes but just thought I would mention my recent experience!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now