Talk

Advanced search

SOS!! SOS!!

(35 Posts)
MrsGokWantstogocampingagain Tue 08-Sep-09 09:54:35

Heeeeelp!!!

Don't know if any one remembers my post about getting a dress for my SIL's wedding but we decided on the Wallis dress, the petite, greek style in purple.

Well I went to order it and they didn't have my size. So while we were on holiday I looked for one, which was very stressful with 3 boys and DH. Tried so many dresses on that I lost count. At one point in Fraser's I stood in the changing room while DH just bought me dress after dress. Nothing is fitting me properly. I am such an odd shape at the moment. In the end I asked an assistant in a shop to help me find a dress and one was chosen, DH said it was ok. I don't really like it and don't feel comfortable in it. Think it is too short and not really weddingey, if you know what I mean. But felt I had to get something.

Was faffing around on the computer last Monday and saw the Wallis dress was on the site in my size so Ordered it, it came Friday. I tried it on and thought it was OK (we don't have a floor length mirror. Finally managed to get DH to look at me in it last night and he says that it does me no favours.

So please can you help me find another dress. I am 4ft 11, apple shape and look 3 months pregnant (I'm not blush ) or can you help me find the right accessories for this dress
Republic dress

What shoes do I wear with it? what tights? bag? jewellry? cardigan/jacket?

I already have this shrug
wallis shrug

And a New Look one, the same but in grey with silver through it.

Sorry for the long post, but I am desperate and only have until Saturday to sort it.

I have this

princessmel Tue 08-Sep-09 09:57:17

The republic one looks a bit clubby rather than weddingy to me.

Jewelsandgems Tue 08-Sep-09 10:04:03

what about this?

would look vert flattering

I don't like the republic one sorry.

Jewelsandgems Tue 08-Sep-09 10:05:25

Or this is love,y and you can add shape too

www.tedbaker.com/shop.do?cID=596&pID=6361

thehairybabysmum Tue 08-Sep-09 10:16:44

I tried that ted baker one on the other day...it is v lovely. Im taller than you, 5 ft 4 but a very definite apple, size 14 and also look 4-6 months cheggars and this dress was v. flattering.

MrsGokWantstogocampingagain Tue 08-Sep-09 10:16:51

Thanks for that, completely agree about the Republic one. But now I have spent out on 2 dresses and I am skint completely so if I go for a new dress I am afraid I have to go as cheap as possible. So those to are a bit out of my price range, THAT WAS MY BAD THOUGH NOT SPECIFYING A PRICE (eek! sorry caps!)

missmelly Tue 08-Sep-09 10:17:39

You didnt say what size you were?

blue empire line

silk

very

very again

missmelly Tue 08-Sep-09 10:20:34

ack my links arent right

MrsGokWantstogocampingagain Tue 08-Sep-09 10:29:05

Thanks Mis Melly. I'm a 16, sometimes 18.

Right I have just tried the Republic dress on again and I have found that those gathered pieces are created by little ties under the dress and when untied the dress becomes calf length and floaty and doesn't look to bad at all, yaaaay!!

So what exccessories would you put with that colour? The colour of the dress is a smokey, soft purply, grey.

Sorry to be a pain.

Buda Tue 08-Sep-09 10:29:14

Can you return the ones you already bought? Or Ebay them?

MrsTittleMouse Tue 08-Sep-09 10:31:02

I'd do silver accessories. Black would look very harsh.

Cadelaide Tue 08-Sep-09 10:34:29

I like the republic one, and without the gathers I'll bet it's lovely. Perfect for an apple shape too (I'm one, I should know!).

Now then, accessories....

MrsGokWantstogocampingagain Tue 08-Sep-09 10:38:28

Buda, yes I am going to return the Wallis one.

Mrs Tittlmouse thanks, will look for silver.

Cadelade, yes now the gathers are out it sort of floats.

So what shoes and bag.

Cadelaide Tue 08-Sep-09 10:39:12

Agree not black, too grungy.

Silver good. Your purple shrug is too purple, a sort of prune might be better, or how about a soft pale dove grey?

Cadelaide Tue 08-Sep-09 10:40:56

I'll bet you could pick up a lovely (and cheap!) silver shoe at New Look

Cadelaide Tue 08-Sep-09 10:43:03

actually this isn't bad

MrsGokWantstogocampingagain Tue 08-Sep-09 10:43:25

We have New Look in town so I will go and check. Could I get away with soft grey shoes and handbag?

Cadelaide Tue 08-Sep-09 10:47:17

Yes, I think so, although a little sparkle wouldn't go amiss

On reflection, i think those new look shoes in my last link are too purple. They do have loads of shoes though, take a look at their web site.

I think some sort of soft, soft grey shrug-type thing, and then the shoes could be silver?

Cadelaide Tue 08-Sep-09 10:48:33

You know you could slip in a bit of rosy dusty pink in the handbag. Accessorize maybe?

KnickersandVests Tue 08-Sep-09 10:50:29

I don't mind the republic one either.

There's this in your size, on sale too. Good for apples. I'd wear it with your Wallis shrug and get fab purple shoes and a matching clutch.

You'd need a tan.

MrsGokWantstogocampingagain Tue 08-Sep-09 10:56:05

Right then will pop into New Look tomorrow after looking at their website for shoes, bag andshrug. Will take silvery shrug back to them.

We have a Claires in town so will look in their for accesories in silver.

Will make sure I take my dress with me.

Unfortunatly Knickers I have no tan but thanks for the link.

Cadelaide Tue 08-Sep-09 10:57:14

Good Luck Mrs Gok, I think it's a lovely dress smile

MrsGokWantstogocampingagain Tue 08-Sep-09 11:06:28

Cheers Cade.

Ooohh! what about tights? naturel? grey?

Cadelaide Tue 08-Sep-09 11:13:22

natural

MrsGokWantstogocampingagain Tue 08-Sep-09 11:16:27

Thanks Cade, will update tomorrow evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now