Talk

Advanced search

For the first time I have got to wear a suit to work every day. HELP!!!

(6 Posts)
Lotstodo Tue 08-Sep-09 08:26:55

I am a complete novice but only want to spend minimum amount to look stylish and professional. Have stalked websites and shops but being a complete novice I am clueless. Think I'd go for a skirt suit and I am a short, chunky size 14.

nickschick Tue 08-Sep-09 08:29:21

Tesco have suits in for £15 skirt/trouser and jacket combos.

I think Id buy one of each and some nicer tops and funky jewellry and good quality shoes - accesorise it with the jewellry and perhaps funky tights?

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 08-Sep-09 08:39:19

What kind of job is it?

TBH I work in a very conservative environment, however I do not actually have to wear a suit. I am sure you will be able to wear dresses, trousers with smart tops/cardigans. Just as long as you look smart, I am sure you will be fine.

I would buy a suit which has a plain jacket which you can wear with other trousres and skirts, rather than waste money on different suits. Also, you can get trousers, skirts, jackets and waistcoats made of the same fabric, so you can mix and match.

Adsa do cheap work clothes, and some of them are good quality, foir instance I have some of their shirts and they wash really well. They are also very stylish at the moment - some George at Asda dresses have been mentiond in fashion magazines.

Also, if you have a Next discount outlet near you they can be good for basics, and are a lot cheaper than the actual shops.

Also Dorothy Perkins for cheap basics, or Linea at House of Fraser if you would like to spend a little more. Also Zara and Mexx.

Ceebee74 Tue 08-Sep-09 08:44:34

Depends on how much you want to spend.

I tend to get my suits from Next - have just got a lovely dark grey trouser suit for £70 - plus they do a skirt as well so you can get 2 suits iyswim.

I have also just got a skirt suit from M&S - they had a good range of basic ones.

I also have to dress smart for work but not a suit every day - only for certain meetings/interviews etc. Other days I just wear some plain black trousers with smart tops/shoes, or a patterned skirt with a plain top etc.

CMOTdibbler Tue 08-Sep-09 08:45:54

Ebay is great for suits - people buy them for interviews, wear them a couple of times and then sell them. Have had some really fab bargains on there.

Next is reliable in terms of sizing and fit, and many of their suits are machine washable which is a real bonus.

I try to get the mix and match thing going on, so a jacket has a dress, skirt and trousers to go with it which makes things more interesting

Lotstodo Tue 08-Sep-09 09:26:48

Thanks for help so far. I am going to have a look at Asda, Tesco, Next and ebay --and mumsnet at the same time--

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now