Talk

Advanced search

French Sole ballet Pumps

(18 Posts)
cahu Mon 07-Sep-09 19:23:38

Has anyone had French Sole Ballet Pumps? If so, are they worth the money? I like the Harriets........

sleepwhenidie Mon 07-Sep-09 19:40:53

yes and I'm not convinced they are. I have one pair but they are still fairly new so I can't really comment on quality etc. They look very pretty but the fittings are all over the place. Make sure you read the notes re sizing before you order as different styles come up differently and you have to pay for returns (a pet hate of mine with mail order and something I didn't realise when I ordered some). They also took ages to refund after demanding return within 7 days. I have to say I don't think I will be rushing back for any more....

If you can get to the shop, i think it is new or about to open, that may be best way to decide.

wingandprayer Mon 07-Sep-09 19:45:49

I bought some last year and I don't think they are worth it. After finally finding a pair that didn't make me look like Princess Di, within six months of not intensive wear they had lost their shape and looked really shabby and I am not someone who usually trashes shoes. In comparison the marks and spencers ones I had previously lasted three years, so I went back to those this summer.

tulpe Mon 07-Sep-09 19:46:17

French Sole are also stocked in House of Fraser and possibly other department stores (in case you can't get to the French Sole store).

I bought a pair 2 years ago - in the wider fitting with a square toe. I wish I had gone for a regular fit as the ones I have have a small heel (approx 1cm) and I would have preferred them flatter.

The leather is beautiful though - very supple.

I also have Repetto. Not sure they are worth the money either, tbh. Lovely shoes but incredibly expensive for what they are.

cahu Mon 07-Sep-09 19:57:10

Saw Repetto in Italy in Summer. Beautiful, dd1 tried to persuade me to buy her some, as if. Very, very expensive.

EldonAve Mon 07-Sep-09 20:04:10

I have 2 pairs
They used to be much cheaper more like £55 quid and they are pretty flimsy for the price

Sizing is also tricky so you do need to try them on

cahu Mon 07-Sep-09 20:09:50

EldonAve, flimsy but worth it or not?

EldonAve Mon 07-Sep-09 20:26:40

given you can get ballet pumps in most high st shops now I think they aren't worth the premium - unless you are going for a funky colour that nowhere else stocks

I got black leather (upper and lining) pumps from New Look for £20

MeAndMyMonkey Mon 07-Sep-09 20:37:42

Ooh, I am a ballet pump addict and adore French Sole - for some reason they are the most flattering on the foot (something to do with very low 'toe cleavage' - really!).

Plus the leather is lovely and they do last - I have had one pair for 3 years. Also come in lovely materials like satin, grosgrain (sp?) etc, with lovely trims.

But, they are tiny - probably would get a size bigger than usual. I had to give one pair away after I was pregnant as my feet must have slightly expanded and they pinched my toes after that.
Also have one Repetto pair which look gorgeous but are bloody uncomfortable, so I do prefer French Sole on balance. They are worth it, trust me - I have been wearing ballet pumps for the best part of 25 years!

cahu Mon 07-Sep-09 20:54:15

I know EldonAve, but I love the shallow toe and the colours and prints..........

Thank you MAMM, did you buy from the website of from a shop?

EldonAve Mon 07-Sep-09 21:06:02

the toe cleavage is better I agree

I would really recommend going to a shop though as the sizes do vary in each style

MeAndMyMonkey Mon 07-Sep-09 21:28:43

I got them in the shop - Sloane Square (didn't know they sold them elsewhere! ponce emoticon)
But since then I got a pair as a pressie (from my lovely sis) and they were fine - just try them on for size first.

sweethoney Mon 07-Sep-09 21:58:26

I've had a few pairs, the styles are great (I've had the Harriet style before), and they look brilliant when new, but to be honest, they don't stay looking great for that long.
My advice would be to buy some, but save them for nights out etc rather then for day to day wear.

crawk Mon 07-Sep-09 22:03:38

Have you looked at Pretty Ballerina?

www.prettyballerinas.com/

I've bought a few pairs from them and found them to be good quality and hard wearing.

cahu Mon 07-Sep-09 22:10:27

Sweethoney, you have burst my bubble! Just Want them........

Thanks Crawk, they are lovely too but even more money.......

noddyholder Tue 08-Sep-09 08:52:20

You def need to try them on.I was in the shop and the leather ones and the cloth ones in the same size weren't iyswim.they do look great though and really last.

cahu Tue 08-Sep-09 16:54:08

Are they, Noddy? The general consensus here is "lovely but flimsy".

noddyholder Wed 09-Sep-09 09:10:32

Well I don't wear them every day so maybe if they were for work or something they may wear out quicker.They look lovely though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now