Talk

Advanced search

How much of your wardrobe is everyday and how much going out/smarter?

(6 Posts)
Mimi1977 Mon 07-Sep-09 09:40:44

I have so many jeans/jumpers etc for every day but have such a shortage of going out stuff. I never know what to wear when I'm going out (other than the predictable black trousers) I really need to boost my dressy wardrobe. What do you all wear for smarter (pub lunches, dinner, drinks with friends etc) Really need weaning out of my jeans!

AMumInScotland Tue 08-Sep-09 09:47:34

If you find it hard to make yourself wear "dressy" clothes, how about getting one or two skirts which go with some of your existing tops and shoes/boots? That way you can get used to it without feeling too weird.

I'd live in my jeans when I'm not at work, but I've now got a brown cord skirt and a denim skirt (both long) which makes a bit of a change!

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 08-Sep-09 10:04:38

no 'going out' clothes at all here so I'm interested too.

millenniumfalcon Tue 08-Sep-09 10:10:01

i have a disproportionate amount of going out clothes, considering how often i actually go out hmm

as a consequence i tend to dress more "dressily" on a daily basis than strictly required for a sahm and i wear much the same when i go out. in the summer i mostly wear dresses, in the winter skirts/boots or dresses over wide trousers or leggings.

cord/denim/wool are my usual choices for winter, and i tend to have a "look" i work on getting bits and pieces for each year. so i base it around one expensive purchase, seems to be boots usually, last year it was mix of military and russian - double breasted jacket, knee length wool skirt, boots with lots of buttons and a big fur hat this year i'm going for a more urban version of a traditional country look - lace up boots, thick tights, above knee skirts (tweed, denim), bodywarmer and long armwarmers. i wouldn't necessarily wear all bits together all the time, but it gives a kind of coherence when i wear the main bits (jacket, boots etc.)

lol it sounds faintly ridiculous written down -and not exactly what you were asking either - but i love buying clothes and that's the kind of process i go through, if it helps at all

MrsBarbaraKingstanding Tue 08-Sep-09 10:21:09

When I shop I am drawn towards the dressy, going out, smart clothes,and can summon up little enthusiasm for the actual jeans and jumepsr I in reality need.

So I have disprportionately more going out clothes and nothing towear on a daily basis.

A couple of winters ago i resolved to try not to wear jeans at all, so that made me buy skirts (for every day) tigts nice boots ets and made me wear them without automatically putting on jeans. It did work, and 2 years later I'm still wearing teh same stuff, it helped make a shift in my casual clothes.

Kind of stuff I have for every day: lime green above the knee gathered skirt (I also resolved to never buy balck or brown, and now have lots of colour), couple 'tweedy' style short skirts, numerous knitted dresses, jersry dresses that i wear long sleve T under when cold.

Going out: Skinny jeans with heels, jersey style dresses but shorter than daytime ones and with heels, chiffony style tops, also fitted shirts with plunge bra and lots of cleavgeblush

Jewelsandgems Tue 08-Sep-09 10:25:08

millenium love that country look And I do wear much the same going out as at home too, albeit at home I layer a dress over a long sleeved t, to go out wear dress alone.

Mimi I would advise buying some good boots, and then you may fancy wearing skirts more anyway to show them off. Or, even some knee length skirts, some thick tights and some mary jane shoes (these items can be teamed with basic fitted tops and necklace/beads for finishing touches)

I would buy cheap first to find a style that works for you I.E no point in spending £75 on a skirt and then deciding the length is not flattering for you. Maybe supermarkets/matalan/primark for basic long sleeved Ts, topshop/oasis/warehouse/newlook even for some experimental items and then buy the nicest boots you can afford (like jones, next even etc)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now