Talk

Advanced search

Can you wear leggings to a wedding?

(15 Posts)
smurfette72 Sun 06-Sep-09 15:25:56

I'm due to go to a wedding in October and have a dress that I'd like to wear although it is above the knee. It's a green colour and could also pass as a tunic top. Do you think I could wear black leggings and black wedges with it? I'm 5ft 1 and 36 so don't want to make a fool of myself!!

Bibithree Sun 06-Sep-09 15:27:01

My initial reacion would be no. How far above the knee is it?

cookielove Sun 06-Sep-09 15:27:18

i think that would look nice, do you have a nice long necklace and maybe a cute pashmina or cardi to go with?

EyeballsintheSky Sun 06-Sep-09 15:27:47

Depends on your relationship to the wedding party. If it's a distant cousin then fine. If it's your sister then I think it's a touch too casual. But then I'm no style guru

Haylstones Sun 06-Sep-09 15:34:09

Could you wear really thick opaque tights and killer heels instead? I wouldn't/ couldn't wear leggings personally.
Is it the whole day or reception only?

KristinaM Sun 06-Sep-09 15:54:35

i agree with haylstones

you can get away with more casual/funky if its evening only or you are under 20 or its a very informal wedding

where is it being held? i mean large country house/local pub?

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 06-Sep-09 15:55:39

TBH, it sounds a little too informal for a wedding - but as others have said, depends entirely on the relationship you have with those getting married and what kind of wedding it it.

catinthehat2 Sun 06-Sep-09 16:03:30

Also depends if you are going to be on the photos. You may look quite normal now, but a few years down the line people may find frocks 'n' leggings laughable.

MrsBadger Sun 06-Sep-09 16:03:49

depends on style of wedding

if everyone else will be in linen suits and big hats then no

if more casual / modern then possibly

I agree opques and wedges woul dbe good

MayorNaze Sun 06-Sep-09 16:12:19

i think it depends on your normal style. if you are usually a bit funky/glamourous/out there then you oculd probably pull it off...

smurfette72 Sun 06-Sep-09 16:42:44

Thanks for all the replies and here are some answers to your q's. It's a friend's wedding (same age)and we are invited to the whole thing and it's being held in a church/country house type place. The dress is about 3 inches above the knee and a dark/bottle green colour. It sounds a bit garish but it's quite nice. I've got a black pashmina that I could wear with it but not sure what accessories? My usual style is quite safe and plain to be honest although I do like quite quirky stuff but probs need a bit more confidence. Am no good in killer heels, hence the wedges!!

MrsBadger Sun 06-Sep-09 16:49:14

[business with tape measure]

I htink 3" above knees would be fine with opaques and would look a lot smarter than with leggings so long as it has sleeves of some description

NoahFence Sun 06-Sep-09 16:49:53

who woudl care?
i cant see any prob

Haylstones Sun 06-Sep-09 18:29:05

Wedges would be fine with opaque tights! Outfit sounds lovely- go for it.

BerylCole Sun 06-Sep-09 18:34:36

Nice thick, good quality black footless tights - fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now