Talk

Advanced search

Another thread about Uggs - yes or no? And if not, then what??

(27 Posts)
Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 05-Sep-09 12:58:49

I have never owned a pair before, couldn't justify spending so much on something I couldn't wear for work.

However my new job as SAHM calls for a different wardrobe, and I've decided that I'm going to wear mostly dresses this autumn/winter. In my mind's eye, a pair of Uggs with casual dresses looks like a comfy and practical option, but I don't want to be a total style disaster!

So, are they in or out? I am not wanting to be uber-fashionable, that just isn't me. But I don't want to make an enormous style blunder.

Please help me oh wise and stylish MNers!! grin

missmelly Sat 05-Sep-09 13:31:16

going by the number of threads on Uggs in here I'd say they're very much 'in'.

Rollmops Sat 05-Sep-09 19:25:10

Ugliest things that trashy fashion has spat out in a long time.

AnyFucker Sat 05-Sep-09 19:27:05

look at this thread

moondog Sat 05-Sep-09 19:28:05

Noooooo
Or rather, go ahead if you want to look as if you have two club feet.

BerylCole Sat 05-Sep-09 19:29:43

Love them. They're warm, comfy and practical. I lived in them the last three winters - when a SAHM / pregnant etc. What's the alternative? What's as warm and cosy and bloody snuggly? What are people who hate Uggs wearing?

moondog Sat 05-Sep-09 19:36:00

Er..regular shoes and boots.
If you are going warm and comfy route we might as well just stay in baby gros for ever.

masonicpixiesreadthedailymail Sat 05-Sep-09 19:36:25

I don't like them. Don't think they look attractive or flattering. Why would you intentionally affect cankles?

Sure they are comfy and warm. But I think if that's yr priority in clothes, yr not likely to fork out all them coins for ughs

They have a sunday magazine supplement air about them

BerylCole Sat 05-Sep-09 19:38:22

What are 'regular' shoes and boots, though?

I find those clumpy Duo/Doc Marten / Fly London-type boots that lots of women love on MN hideous. I also think grown women in Converse look like tramps. And black boots under bootcut jeans - the M&S Mumsy look - is just so awful.

We all have our viewpoints, I suppose...wink

masonicpixiesreadthedailymail Sat 05-Sep-09 19:39:31

slippers and staying in for me BerylCole

Or if I was going to somewhere desperately cold I would buy some cheaper alternatives. And only be photograsphed from the knee up

moondog Sat 05-Sep-09 19:40:34

I'm with you on most of those.
A low pair of tough brown boots are good and comfy.
Also Chelsea boot or desrt boot affairs.

Boots with a thick heel or a wedge look stylish and comfy.

PrincessToadstool Sat 05-Sep-09 19:42:02

I am in my new job as a SAHM too and this is why I bought a pair... I love them, so comfy. And I have Converse and Fly shoes and Duo boots... not under bootcuts though wink

AnyFucker Sat 05-Sep-09 19:44:18

beryl, and your viewpoint is paticularly, errmm, fixed, isn't it ? wink

what do you wear then ?

< feels a bit huffy 'cos regularly wears two of the "hideous no-nos" on Berl's "list" >

scoutandjem Sat 05-Sep-09 19:44:40

Adore my uggs, don't mind if you don't. Buying celtics this year, just as good but almost 2/3 of price smile

moondog Sat 05-Sep-09 19:45:29

Fucker, it's not the M&S jeans and boots is it? grin
With a fleece?

TheCrackFox Sat 05-Sep-09 19:45:55

Desert boot affairs? shock

AnyFucker Sat 05-Sep-09 19:46:16

nope moon, keep guessin' smile

moondog Sat 05-Sep-09 19:46:30

Wine ot???

moondog Sat 05-Sep-09 19:47:05

You is Fly and Converse look, Fucker.

masonicpixiesreadthedailymail Sat 05-Sep-09 19:47:14

are you more a tramp AF? ;)

AnyFucker Sat 05-Sep-09 19:47:50

yes moon, and proud of it

err, what does "wine ot" mean ??

moondog Sat 05-Sep-09 19:48:48

Why not.
Just amusing myslef.

BerylCole Sat 05-Sep-09 19:50:01

lol!@AF

I loved my Uggs when a SAHM. It was part of the uniform, along with saggy-arsed trackie bottoms wink.

Seriously, though, I have a few styles of boots - Cowboy-ish ones, riding boots, Uggs. I just dont understand why people are so repelled by Uggs when they are 6so^ bloody cosy, so I was making a point harshly, I guess. I do wear a version of PJs in the winter really - love my big cosy padded jacket and thick jumpers. Uggs no different.

AnyFucker Sat 05-Sep-09 19:53:30

msonic, do you know me in RL ? wink

crankytwanky Sat 05-Sep-09 20:45:17

I think I want some too. I had some non-ugg ugg-type boots about 4/5 winters ago and I loved them. They fell apart within the year though.

moondog, I know many, many, many women who work that "look".
Not me though.
I'm a tramp. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now