Talk

Advanced search

how do I get a "really good haircut"???

(16 Posts)
bethdivine Fri 04-Sep-09 20:30:42

You know the sort that you can apparently just shake your head whilst blow-drying and the style falls into place?

I got my hair cut from one-length shoulder (long bob grown out) style at the end of my pregnancy to what I thought was a cross between a crop and a bob - but has ended up looking like a naff 90s graduated bob. - not a good one at that, and even worse now it's growing out. It's grown out somewhat, but the layers are still shorter than my hair line, but how do I get a good cut??? my hairdresser says it goes this way because I have a kink in my hair, but it's never done this before and I'm wondering if it's a bad cut. I've been going to the same place since I had DS 2 yrs ago as it's local and not too expensive.

I have fairly thick hair (fine, but lots of it) and whether I blow-dry it or straighten it, it still looks ridiculous, any suggestions to getting a better cut next time? TIA.

Ewe Fri 04-Sep-09 20:31:59

To get a really good haircut you need to pay for a really good stylist.

bethdivine Fri 04-Sep-09 20:40:26

yes, I'm starting to realise - to be honest, she's been brilliant up until the last 3 cuts or so - was giving her the benefit of the doubt at first thinking it might be the pregnancy causing changes in my hair, but am guessing I need to start paying more, as even if I can't afford to go as often the cut should be good enough to grow well, yes?

thing is, I've been to more expensive places and still not always ended up with an easy to manage style - even if I'm not able to spend a lot of time doing it, surely there are styles that can accomodate that? I always read in magazines that a really good cut will just fall into place, I just haven't had one myself yet! I always tell the hairdresser I don't have a lot of time with 2DCs to get ready.

Do hairdressers really exist who will just say "This style will suit your face and is low maintenance"?

joliejolie Fri 04-Sep-09 20:44:43

If you find out, please let me know.
I think I have had two good haircuts my entire life. That's why I keep my hair long.

SixtyFootDoll Fri 04-Sep-09 20:46:00

Do you know someone who has a good hair cut?
Ask them where thye get theirs done.
Or even aask someon in thw street if you like their hair.

bethdivine Fri 04-Sep-09 20:58:00

thanks, yes will try that - I like the haircut that the manageress in our local next store has, I was even thinking of asking if I could take a pic of the back of it on my mobile, do you think that would sound too stalker-ish blush? - in the least I can ask her where she gets it done.

in the meantime I think i'll succumb to growing it (again). trouble is, I keep doing this, I get a not great cut, grow it out and end up with one-length over long bob style that doesn't really do much for my face (just oval shape) but I feel I have a long forehead so look better with a fringe - but always seem to end up with school girl looking fringe - not a good look at 37 grin

millenniumfalcon Fri 04-Sep-09 21:04:20

yep second asking someone with a good haircut.

Katisha Fri 04-Sep-09 21:08:39

What you need is a stylist who will actually look at your face and suggest something - I think it's a mistake to decide in advance what cut you want.
I changed hairdressers because my usual local one had got so used to seeing me that he just did the usual cut, but sometimes would get carried away and go too short and I just got fed up with it.
So I now go to a more expensive (much more sadly) in London when I am work and am much happier. Although its taking a while for the hair to grow to the style we have in mind.

maize Fri 04-Sep-09 21:08:57

Def def find a good hairdresser. Mine is amazing (and not too expensive) always gives me amazing cuts that suit me and I can style myself.

If you are in E.Yorks I can recommend.

pickyvic Fri 04-Sep-09 21:11:39

im in E yorks and i go to the Mark Hill Salon just outside of hull - in Kirk Ella. ive been there for a while - i tried somewhere else, ended up paying the same and got a naff cut to boot, so i always end up going back. i could really tell the difference. its not that expensive either.

bethdivine Fri 04-Sep-09 21:25:36

the other thing is I know this hairdresser quite well - she lives in the same village as my mum, so I would feel embarrassed not going back now, and it's in the village where I live, so I walk passed loads in the week - ridiculous isn't it?

Katisha Fri 04-Sep-09 21:26:58

Well this was my problem - my hairdresser was the dad of one of DSs friends who I saw a lot outside school.
But the bullet had to be bitten.

poorbuthappy Fri 04-Sep-09 21:35:55

How un pregnant are you? Or have I read your post totally wrong??

Reason I ask is because after my first pregnancy it took 6 months before my hair was even half way decent...

This time, (the twins are 9 months now), it has been horrendous. I lost so much hair around my forehead in the last month I honestly thought I was going bald. But, nothing prepared me for how bad it is growing back...I essentially have the same hairdo as my twins. All new hair sticking straight upwards!

My last but 1 hair cut was about 12 weeks ago...cut and colour...£110.
My last cut and blow dry was 5 weeks ago and cost me £70 at vidal sasson.
My hair is still like straw, is growing like no ones business and looks like shit.

Basically sometimes you can not fight it, just cope, leave it a bit then find a good hairdresser, before you spend a fortune like wot I did, for nothing...

Sorry - grin can you tell this has been really pissing me off for the last 9 months??????????

bethdivine Fri 04-Sep-09 21:44:33

well, yes I did wonder, DD is 5mo next week, so was giving the hairdresser benefit of the doubt, incase it was my hair and hormones, plus am still BF so not sure if that affects it too. But, I do think it's prob a combination of post-preg hair AND not best hairdresser.

Ok, so I guess I will have to admit to you all now, I do only pay £20 for a cut and blow-dry - it's one of those old fash places where you still pay £1.50 if you have hairspray or styling product...

middymo Fri 04-Sep-09 23:53:50

Ask someone with a great haircut, but make sure you ask the name of who cuts it as well as the salon name.

I found my fantastic hairdresser this way by approaching someone in Sainsburys, I hope they were flattered and didn't feel stalked!!

JRocks Sat 05-Sep-09 10:09:49

It's not always about what you pay, as there are some fantastic stylists even freelance. The only way is to find a recommendation, be it from someone you know with a good cut, or stopping someone in the street and asking. It's not a weird thing to do, they should be flattered!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now