Talk

Advanced search

Need to perfect a yummy mummy look now been made redundant - help!!

(7 Posts)
mummy2isla Fri 04-Sep-09 20:30:04

Hi all

I've been made redundant and finished work today. My dd is 15 months old. When I was on maternity leave I always felt really slobby as I reverted to studenty days and wore baggy jeans, trainers, t-shirts etc and felt quite grotty at mum&baby groups. Now I'm out of work I'm planning on going to loads of playgroups etc and want to look the part (YES I know this is really silly etc but hey it'll make me feel better!!)

Have bought some martha jeans from topshop today after reading through posts yesterday. Which reinforced my thinking that MN is great for any situation (also got advice on my redundancy off here!) Got some nice brown leather boots and a couple of tops for layering. Any good suggestions? I want to look smart and chic but not over-dressed. I'm size 14 and 5'8" with E cups (and slightly very saggy after bf..sad)

Thanks ...smile

joliejolie Fri 04-Sep-09 20:35:36

First of all, there is nothing wrong with jeans and trainers, the trick is to get the right jeans. Martha are the best jeans you can buy, so that is a good start!

I would suggest Gap t-shirts for layering as they are cheap and okay quality.
Invest in some nice cardigans too and an amazing coat.

sushistar Fri 04-Sep-09 20:38:39

Accessorise asscessorise (that's the verb, not the shop!!) - anything too fashion led just looks a bit 'trying too hard' at baby groups. Go for good cuts for jeans / casual skirts (not too short), block colours and shapes that suit you for tops. Then... since you have been made redundant I am assuming you are not wanting to spend a fortune, so hit Primark, Peacocks, Sainsbury's and charity shops for LOTS of funky chunky jewellery, bags, scarves for winter. If money is not an issue, insert shops of choice in above list.

mummy2isla Fri 04-Sep-09 20:38:43

Yeah my other jeans were really old and badly fitted - I seem to have lived in work clothes for the past 5 years and spent no time thinking about what to wear out of work!

Right so martha jeans done, off to gap on monday, do they do nice cardigans? What kind of coat? This sounds ridiculous, I am 29 years old but have only ever concentrated since uni on looking good at work. Or going on nights out. If anyone wants advice on suits or smart-formal clothes for work I'm their woman.

Trainers - have got some pink puma ones which seem quite cool.

Thanks!!

chaosisawayoflife Fri 04-Sep-09 20:39:56

Hi mummy2isla

I'm going through a similar reinvention at the moment and bought some martha jeans today! I have to ask, what boots did you get? I'm after some too but lacking inspiration!

mummy2isla Fri 04-Sep-09 20:47:21

Ha ha chaos, good stuff. I found them quite hard to get on but they looked really nice when on!! I got some knee high brown leather ones from kurt geiger, with buckles and a small heel. Will see if can find them on website ...

mummy2isla Fri 04-Sep-09 20:49:27

These ones: www.kurtgeiger.com/online-shop/119895-kg-viper

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now