Talk

Advanced search

How much do you spend on your moisturiser and is it worth it?

(65 Posts)
ilikeyoursleeves Fri 04-Sep-09 20:02:13

I almost treated myself to a new posh moisturiser by Lancome today, it smelled lovely and the salesgirl was convincing me until she said it was £47!!!!! shock

I currently use an Olay moisturiser but after having 2 dc's and nearing 34 I thought I should maybe venture into using a 'better' moisturiser. But does more money = better results or is it a rip off do you think?

I got a sample of the Lancome stuff so I'll give it a shot but I'm still not convinced (although the free gift from Boots is swaying me a bit!).

NellieTheEllie Fri 04-Sep-09 20:12:34

i've tried lots of different moisturisers over the years at various prices (probably top price of £30) and I can honestly say that Aldi Siana day cream is the best i've used.

I've actually had people comment on my skin recently, and as someone that usually suffers from greasy skin and regular spots, it's a great confidence boost smile

I'm pretty sure that if you Google it, you'll find it has won various awards, beating the expensive competition too.

cocolepew Fri 04-Sep-09 20:14:45

There was a survey by which? that said the cheap ones were better. I did a thread on it but it's gone now.

stitchtime Fri 04-Sep-09 20:15:46

i used olay for a few years, until i decided it was time to go back to a proper skin routine. i love clinique three step system, plus the eye cream and they cream with spf25 in it. cozts a lot of money, but imo is worth every penny.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Fri 04-Sep-09 20:16:13

People often comment on my skin also (I'm 46 fwiw), and I've used Aqueous Cream for at least 12 years, both as a wash-off cleanser and moisturizer.
Costs less than £2 for a huge tub.

LadyoftheBathtub Fri 04-Sep-09 20:19:09

I use Origins "have a nice day" moisturizer and it's about £27, which is eye-watering really. Every so often I try something cheaper to save money - recently I tried a Simple one, which smells nice and I like the feel of it, but as ever, my spots are now back. The Origins one is the only one that keeps the spots at bay.

LadyoftheBathtub Fri 04-Sep-09 20:20:17

But Nellie I'll try that Aldi one next...!

janeite Fri 04-Sep-09 20:28:50

I use Olay Regenerist (used to use Have A Nice Day) and it is always on special offer somewhere. I use the serum and the eye-stuff too. With a discount, it's usually around 14 pounds each for the moisturiser and serum; can't remember how much the eye cream is as I've only bought it recently when it was on half price offer at Superdrug.

OP - I honestly think it's as good as/even better than some of the 'better' stuff I've used (the Origins one / Decleor Hydra Floral to name two).

gallery Fri 04-Sep-09 20:33:42

I am amazed as I was just pondering the same thing last night and nearly asked the same question. I use Lancome but also use espa and have even 'splashed out' on creme de la mere (I am note going to say how much it was). I also use Boots own like the Number 7 range and have used superdrug. I do have sensitive skin so have found some moisturisers irritate my skin but all the ones above have been fine. Lancome is good and I like it loads- so is Espa. But then the No 7 one works well for me too. So it depends on what I can afford and when I can get to a shop as to what I buy. My sister uses E45 (like the lady who uses aqueous cream) and has done for years, switching from the very expensive products. So I am not convinced that anyone is better than another, though cost more. I do know that some hurt my skin so have to avoid some products. Oh and I have also used estee lauder. I am a nightmare for sales assistants who want me to buy from a range and try to convince me that you must have cleaner, toner and moisturiser from the same product range. And the end result- my skin is in good shape, no spots most of the time and very rarely dry and flakey.

nevergoogledragonbutter Fri 04-Sep-09 20:35:45

I use Simple.
Not expensive but it does the job.

PinkTulips Fri 04-Sep-09 20:36:52

either lidl mosturiser, the one in the pink pot or vitimain E cream, depending on how dry/spotty my skin is.

Have used expensive ones but tbh i never really like the smell and most either aren't mosturising enough or aggravate my sensitive skin so they seem to be a waste of money imo

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 04-Sep-09 20:37:11

I can tell the difference between a £3 and a £7 moisturiser and now I am 37 I have been buying nearer ten pounds moisturiser. Still not expensive but more than I used to.

I spent £50 on a night moisturiser and that was a lot. It has lasted about 6-8 months (I don't use it every day) so cheap really.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Fri 04-Sep-09 20:38:39

Creme de la mer is about £100.

Jbck Fri 04-Sep-09 20:39:21

Was one of the Simple ones at just under £4 not voted one of the best recently in Which?

Ewe Fri 04-Sep-09 20:39:25

I have very dehydrated skin so do find it worth it to pay for a more expensive moisturiser - Clarins Hydra Quench for me. It's about £30 but does last a fair while.

onehitwonder Fri 04-Sep-09 20:49:35

I use Origins - Have a nice day for daytime and Night a mins at night. They are expensive, but quite rich, so don't need to use too much. I have experimented with cheaper options over the years, but my skin looked dull - Origins just seems to work for me.

movingnow Fri 04-Sep-09 20:50:23

Aldi

PrincessToadstool Fri 04-Sep-09 20:52:53

I use Olay in the morning and Protect & Perfect at night. Sometimes both in the morning if I have time. I am 29. Didn't Ch4 unravel the myth behind expensive moisturisers?

I use Lush 'Skin's Shangri-la', about £24ish, I have never had such good skin, it's amazing stuff.

I also use No7 serum stuff underneath, very good too imo.

But if I could only choose one it would be Lush.

morocco Fri 04-Sep-09 20:54:47

aldi one is absolutely great. i top it up with a drop of bio oil. it's one of the nicest I've tried for my skin so I'm well pleased it's only a few quid. it comes in a little round tub - not the cylindrical dispenser one which is well nasty

mooseloose Fri 04-Sep-09 21:08:00

I have used the Nivea Q10 for ages, and that is nice, but have recently gone onto Garnier nutritionist, the little green pot, and found this to be better. I have always looked for a SPF in a moisturiser , as i think this is what makes a big difference overall.

I have thirsty skin, and found olay / number 7 and others not rich enough.

I also use Barbara daly Tesco skin glow with it, and this makes my skin look really healthy.

hercules1 Fri 04-Sep-09 21:10:09

I've just started on the garnier green night one and it's really good.

mooseloose Fri 04-Sep-09 21:18:02

oh right - i might try the night one too then!

deaddei Fri 04-Sep-09 21:41:27

I used to use the Clarins Super Restorative at £50, and skin wasn't brilliant- switched to garnier vitalift, and it's great!
Everythings about £7 and is usually on offer in Boots.

lizandlulu Fri 04-Sep-09 21:59:23

i use the decleor hydra floral face cream whic is £25-£30 depending on where i get it from. it suits my dry sensitive skin down to the ground.

i used to try to change to cheaper ones, but my dry skin kept coming back, so would rather cut corners in other areas than on ym face cream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now