Talk

Advanced search

I really need help: am currently wearing -

(19 Posts)
janeite Fri 04-Sep-09 18:26:47

Argh. Our Victorian house is already bloomin' cold and I refuse to put the heating on until November (!). So I am currently wearing my own clothes, with dp's fleece and some bedsocks on top.

What 'lounging around' clothes can I get that will keep me warm but not make me look like a Weeble crossed with a dip-dyed sheep please?

bethdivine Fri 04-Sep-09 20:07:47

hmm...depends on your budget, but if you're holding out on not putting the heating on till nov, I'm guessing cashmere is out of the window too???

layers are the best thing, so can you get a few thin vests - or even, dare I suggest it some thermals from M&S for underneath (honest, they really have come on and nobody sees what's underneath - maybe worth it if it keeps you warm - guessing you won't have a bridget jones type moment if the house is that cold, you'll be waiting till firmly under the covers and thermals long gone anyway!) followed by t-shirt, followed by a snug fitted fleece? - the ones you get from outdoors shops are really thin but amazingly insulated.

otherwise if you're not into the sporty look, without sounding like a twee miss marple type, vest followed by jumper/cardigan combo (cashmere mix???)

MagNacarta Fri 04-Sep-09 20:11:05

Surely the amount you'd spend on clothes you could spend on putting the heating on?

janeite Fri 04-Sep-09 20:16:43

No Heating is for environmental reasons as much as poss, rather than financial.

So yes to cashmere. Have got thermal tops. I have never owned a fleece in my life so need links of non-hideous ones if that is really the way forward.

Twee Miss Marple types sounds great actually: but what would one wear on the bottom for slobbing in a Miss Marple manner?

bethdivine Fri 04-Sep-09 21:22:02

well people like weird fish do ok ones - obviously they're not going to be the ultimate in the style stakes

the north face - sorry this link doesn't go direct for some reason, but follow the link to women's clothing then the north face

something like this from per una with the twin set type tops?

HAd my heating on today, so feel I need to do my bit for the environment by helping yougrin - am prob not the most stylish person on here to help though!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 04-Sep-09 21:23:32

Have a look at Patra online. Lots of grim middle aged stuff, but they do very good silk thermals which are fab.

Jewelsandgems Fri 04-Sep-09 21:34:30

I would say layering and nice slippers? I hate cold feet. Mind you, I walk everywhere and never drive so feel justified in having my heating on whenever I want, and the water heating on 24 hours (yes, I know, but recent survey said to have it on all time was as expensive as letting it go cold to heat it all over again)

movingnow Fri 04-Sep-09 21:43:27

or similar

mazzystartled Fri 04-Sep-09 21:46:23

some gorgeous cashmere socks
longsleeved tees layered up
long cardigans

big thick lovely cuddly blanket wrapped around you when sitting about

janeite Sat 05-Sep-09 15:36:26

Thanks all.

Have got thermal tops / have got a cashmere jumper.

I haven't got a big blanket but now feel the need for one!

That Per Una link is so weird - jersey trousers plus high heels - in what universe is that seen to be a good idea?

However, having never possessed a pair of 'jersey trousers' I do feel that perhaps a pair of tap pants or something might be good. I looked in TX Maxx today but they were all too long.

The North Face fleece isn't as hideous as I expected, so I may have a look at that irl too.

Cahsmere socks - yum but sooooo expensive.

KnickersandVests Sat 05-Sep-09 15:47:30

I saw these this morning in the IWOOT catalogue and thought they looked so warm and snuggly. Not exactly clothes but would certainly keep you warm.

janeite Sat 05-Sep-09 15:57:00

Harry Potter eat your heart out!

KristinaM Sat 05-Sep-09 18:07:22

what about ugg type boot for slippers? or is that too weeble like

the Asda ones were recommended on a thread recently

janeite Sat 05-Sep-09 18:08:50

Have got some Ugg-ly slippers from M&S already - but thanks for reminding me, as I think dd2 may have stolen them!

woodenchair Sat 05-Sep-09 18:16:45

you need a pair of these beauties
Yes they are ugly, but they are as good has having the heating on! Honest! Both me any my sister are on our second pair, they feel like you're walking in bare feet because the bottom is suede

janeite Sat 05-Sep-09 20:30:38

They look toasty! My feet are actually okay though. What I need is a nice cuddly fitted top and some sort of soft and warm slobbing trousers I think. My jeans are feeling really uncomfortable!

zanz1bar Sat 05-Sep-09 20:40:25

cashmere socks are fantastic.
But buy mens in a big size then you won't cry when you shrink them in the washing machine and they will fit perfetly and be twice as warm as they have gone all felty.
Mine have lasted two winters and still toasty .

fishie Sat 05-Sep-09 20:47:36

uniqlo! heat tech underwear (buy it now it will be gone soon) and do get a cheapo merino dress.

i have a whole special lot of clothes for being warm at home, mainly dresses and leggings.

janeite Sat 05-Sep-09 20:49:54

Oh I hadn't thought of a knitted dress - that sounds comfortable. Thanks for the tip re: socks, Zanz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now