Talk

Advanced search

having never worn a fleece before,am i missing out are they really that comfortable?

(36 Posts)
CarrieDababi Fri 04-Sep-09 15:02:04

all this hoo haa about fleeces makes me want to try one

so what's so good about them?

are you lot on about the cardi like zip up ones or the ones like jumpers?

mathanxiety Fri 04-Sep-09 17:19:24

Big admission: I own a fleece. I am wearing it even as I type. I feel quite cosy and I don't care what you think of me grin Got it from a US retailer online (LLBean). I consider it reasonably attractive; it's a slightly fitted, zip front style, light to medium weight with a collar that can be worn up or down. The good thing about it is it washes and dries in no time and it's great for breezy cool-cold days. I got mine in light pink so nice for spring and chilly summer days, and autumn while it's still bright in the mornings. The cut/shape and weight are important. I've seen some that I would consider frumpy.

hf128219 Fri 04-Sep-09 17:20:31

I thought this was the Style and Beauty topic? grin

GreensleevesFlouncedLikeAKnob Fri 04-Sep-09 17:20:39

I've got loads of fleeces

they are VERY comfy

frumpy schmumpy hmm

TheDMshouldbeRivened Fri 04-Sep-09 17:23:50

they is warm grin and bloody nearly wind proof.

moocowme Fri 04-Sep-09 18:22:52

you don't have to wear it out

BlueKangerooWonders Fri 04-Sep-09 18:24:49

Hideous for long-haired people! Hair sticks all over them and they look so old and tatty really fast!

crokky Fri 04-Sep-09 18:26:12

if you don't like them, they aren't compulsary!

Personally, I love them. I like comfortable sporty clothes and they are totally me. With a zip or without, I love them all. Zip can be useful if you become warm as you can undo

AngryWasp Fri 04-Sep-09 18:30:13

They become bobbly after a few years of wearing, so not brilliant to look at!

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Sep-09 18:30:21

They are warm and comfortable and don't go all hideously heavy, stretchy and wet dogish if you have to wear them win the rain.

They are very good and perfectly appropriate for some things (camping) and utterly innaproriate for others (investiture of Bishopric).

NoahFence Fri 04-Sep-09 18:31:09

i have a berghasu black one for under coats when wathcing sports
its rather sleek
I look like my cat

also have a couple for camping

chosoe a nci colour and a good fit and thee you are

TheDMshouldbeRivened Fri 04-Sep-09 18:32:53

mine is about 10 years old and a bit tatty now. But I'm still wearing it.

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Sep-09 18:35:25

It is quite hard to 'kill' a fleece tbh. You have to accidentally set fire them to justify chucking them out.

As my dh would say they remain 'perfectly serviceable' for eons hmm

woodenchair Fri 04-Sep-09 18:37:27

I bought a cheap one from asda (£5 I think) last year just to see if I would wear it. It's a close fitting one, which I think look much better than baggy loose ones imo.

It's really handy when it's a bit cold in the house.

nappyzoneisback Fri 04-Sep-09 18:42:00

cheap ones i find can go bitty or mishshaped but i too like them. I am currently sat wearing a craghopper jumper one with a zip top bit like mathanxiety described to wear collar up or down - windproof and warm. A bit sporty looking. I dont care whether stylish or not they are me and im all snug.

Overmydeadbody Fri 04-Sep-09 18:42:56

You absolutely cannot lump all fleeces together any more than you can lump all jumpers together or all trousers together.

Fleece is the fabric. The actualy garments come in all shapes and sizes and some are hideausly ugly and shapeless (even sporting cute cats etc all over them) while others are perfectly stylish for outdoor clothes.

I have a fleecy hoodie and a close fitting zip up one. Indispensible for camping and climbing and general outdoor activities in this cold country.

mmrsceptic Fri 04-Sep-09 18:43:17

they make your hair go all static

Bibithree Fri 04-Sep-09 18:48:29

I need a fleece hoodie/hooded jacket for outdoorsy walks on the beach etc when it's cold but not raining, for them I will wear my outdoorsy rain jacket.

Which brands are thin, lightweight and good quality? I feel so wrong asking that on MN!

nappyzoneisback Fri 04-Sep-09 18:52:35

mine is craghopper - lovely smooth fleece - i saw some in a walking shop for £40 ish but then found them new on ebay for about £15. Berghaus is another good brand but expensive. My regatta jobby went nasty, stiff and bitty after a few washes.

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Sep-09 18:54:04

Northface and berghaus are pretty good. If you go to somewhere like Black's they have a fairly good selection.

I am currently sporting the most hideously fugly fleece you can possibly imagine. A gift from my FIL it is the Australian Rugby Union official fleece (circa 2003) in BRIGHT heinous yellow with bottle green piping. It makes me look like I have end stage liver failure.

It is my mning of an evening fleece of choice.

CarrieDababi Fri 04-Sep-09 18:54:09

i used to think they where all like this!here

NoahFence Fri 04-Sep-09 18:57:11

lol at sluibber
hey slubbs how are :things:

nappyzoneisback Fri 04-Sep-09 18:58:46

that is disgusting - who would wear that?

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Sep-09 19:00:26

:things: <snort> are um, I dunno do I? I am only [things] now.

<cryptic>

NoahFence Fri 04-Sep-09 19:05:20

gotcah

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now