Talk

Advanced search

If you had £40 to spend on basics....

(16 Posts)
Kayzr Fri 04-Sep-09 09:23:56

What would you buy and where from?

I have £40 going spare and I could do with some nice clothes. I am a 16/18 depending on the shop(or the cut). I am 5ft 8 and I have a 40E chest and a horrible fat stomach.

I usually spend my life in jeans and vest tops. I really want a nice cardigan but I can't as wool makes me itch and I just can't wear it. I am fed up of the same stuff all the time.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

missmelly Fri 04-Sep-09 09:28:04

for £40 I'd probably go to Primark. You could get a few pieces for that.
Have you thought of a boyfriend cardigan? They're not usually made of wool.

sorry, I dont really know what would suit you as I'm a different body shape

Kayzr Fri 04-Sep-09 09:28:47

No Primark anywhere near mesad I love Primark.

IrishDraught Fri 04-Sep-09 09:32:17

New look? They do some cheap cardigans I think. Or even browse the charity shops?

Kayzr Fri 04-Sep-09 09:33:51

Yeah I think I might go to New Look. I get most of my stuff from there. At least if I try it on I will see if it scratchs me.

badgermonkey Fri 04-Sep-09 09:54:44

I got a great boyfriend cardigan from New Look yesterday - think it was £20. Actually they had loads of really nice knitwear, especially long-line stuff, and cotton mostly, not wool, so not itchy.

HarryB Fri 04-Sep-09 09:59:36

Tesco has some very reasonably priced knitwear in this year. cardigans around a tenner and jumpers £10/£12.

Bettymum Fri 04-Sep-09 10:02:31

A really good bra, if you don't already have one. Will make whatever you wear on top look sooo much better. And I speak as someone who had a monoboob for years before getting properly fitted and buying proper underwired bras.
So...£20 on the bra and £20 on a nice new top .

mustrunmore Fri 04-Sep-09 10:05:11

I reckon Bettymum might be right smile
Oh but I do love Primark. Dont know where our closest one is, as I only ever seem to go to ones on holiday or days out!
I wouldnt get tescos stuff tbh, as I find them a very odd fit.

badbadbadCappy Fri 04-Sep-09 10:53:46

I'd keep an eye on charity shops

you can't find anything in there on the first look usually. It involves popping back, 5 mins each time you are in town, to snap up the best stuff

About half my wardrobe is charity shop - average about £4 a piece - inc a Boden wrap dress, a topshop dress, Monsoon cords, etc

You have to be savvy but charity shops are great

bodiddly Fri 04-Sep-09 11:12:41

slight hijack - if you wear a belt with jeans don't you find they give a big lump/line around your middle when you wear long tops or boyfriend cardigans?

Lizzylou Fri 04-Sep-09 11:18:28

Asda had some boyfriend cardigans (didnt look like wool) for £8.

madeupsurname Fri 04-Sep-09 11:54:09

Zara have some fantastic boyfriend cardigans - mentioned on another thread - I think they are £25, but very good quality and not at all scratchy. The Primark ones are v. v. scratchy.

IdrisTheDragon Fri 04-Sep-09 11:55:23

I have the belt with jeans and lumpiness problem. But as a pear shaped person it's either do that or have them fall down. Or find some other way to shrunk my bottom grin

bodiddly Fri 04-Sep-09 12:20:16

Idris ... do you wear long line stuff then and just put up with the lumps?

Kayzr Fri 04-Sep-09 12:33:01

I have some fab Bravissimo bras that I love!!

I do have the belt problem too. I have 2 size 16 jeans both from Dorothy Perkins and 1 pair is a bit of a squeeze and the other pair is always falling down!!

I will keep a look out in the charity shops. I don't go in much as it all seems to be old lady stuff. But will be keeping an eye out for something good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now