Talk

Advanced search

FIND ME A COAT! I'm pregnant, but does that mean I have to look like a frump???

(13 Posts)
sushistar Thu 03-Sep-09 23:35:47

I want a coat with colour - even brown would be an improvement on the black black BLACK of all maternity coats everywhere. Even better, with a funky pattern. Longish. not a double breasted monstrosity - a nice funky coat.

NOt the green one on Jojomamanbebe because I'm 5ft1 and that is LONG and would trail on the floor! Please help me someone? I am chilly already and baby's due Jan...

jemart Thu 03-Sep-09 23:48:24

From about 20 weeks onwards I gave up on coats and wore a poncho/wrap/cape thingy instead. I'll try and find a link for you.

llareggub Thu 03-Sep-09 23:54:38

I second the poncho/wrap thing. I wore one all winter too. I never really got cold though in pregnancy so didn't feel the need for a coat.

Mine came from Monsoon. How about this

sushistar Thu 03-Sep-09 23:57:52

Willing to consider a wrap type thingy - any links?

Llareggub would it fit over the bump d'you think? Also, it's black. No black thank you!

Rindercella Thu 03-Sep-09 23:59:13

<lurks>

llareggub Fri 04-Sep-09 00:00:55

My poncho thing was a soft grey cable knit and was beautiful. I loved it but can't bring myself to wear it now that I'm not pregnant. It fitted right up until the end.

I also wore a long cardigan that tied above the bump. That was Monsoon too. I found with lots of layers I was plenty warm enough, even in the snow.

jemart Fri 04-Sep-09 00:17:36

this possibly without the roses....

or this

also in red

sushistar Fri 04-Sep-09 00:20:54

The first one - I think that's real fur, at least the listing suggests that?!? I'm a vegetarian, I don't think that would be a good idea! grin

They're all a bit... furry, tbh. Thanks for the links though...

HarryB Fri 04-Sep-09 09:54:27

I just wore my normal coat and where it wouldn't button up on belly, I wore a long pashmina to cover that (done up as a scarf). Unless you are planning on lots of babies, I wouldn't invest in a coat when pregnant, unless you're loaded of course grin

Second the poncho too.

chocolaterabbit Fri 04-Sep-09 09:56:26

I had a charcoal one from Topshop which I only wore for my first pregnancy - been too hot this time round. Happy to send it to you if you'd like it.

tethersend Fri 04-Sep-09 13:40:25

I coveted this one whilst pg... if you don't look at the price, it's beautiful smile, but it is black (they had a camel coloured one, but seems to be gone)

here

There are some others on the site you may like, but brace yourself, they are really expensive. In the end I couldn't justify the cost.

Lastyearsmodel Fri 04-Sep-09 13:55:52

Can I recommend these coats at Gudrun Sjoden?

Not sure if the pattern will be your thing, but I have last year's in plain green and even though I'm not pregnant, it would make a great maternity coat as it is cut generously and flares out nicely. Nice quality and waterproof too.

They've whacked the price up this year but I think I have a 20% code if you're interested.

LetThemEatCake Fri 04-Sep-09 18:50:46

I'm pregnant too (although due in a few weeks) and I wouldn't bother with a maternity coat, personally. I've got a wrap from www.thetravelwrapcompany.com - if you look at their eclectic collection there are some patterns, and the Plain Gorgeous collection has some colour (i have charcoal) - really fab, stylish and warm and great too for befing baby discreetly in the winter months (let's face it, it will still be cold when your baby arrives!!) If you can make do with this and a long line cardi, I think that would be your best bet. Travel wraps are pricey but you can get a discount code if you register at www.sheerluxe.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now