Advanced search

So, how's the oil cleansing going?

(26 Posts)
TeamEdward Thu 03-Sep-09 18:00:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeamEdward Thu 03-Sep-09 20:38:06

Daisydaydream Thu 03-Sep-09 20:42:12

Unfortunately I'm lazy and I only did it a couple of times. It was a bit too much faffing about late at night, although I did really like the softness, and recommended it to a friend. I should give it another go, thank you for reminding me!

LetThemEatCake Thu 03-Sep-09 20:45:53

I've been going since March, still working brilliantly!! Castor and almond oil for me, haven't added anything sweet smelling, but keep meaning to.

Have had a couple of facials where the beautician has commented on how good my skin is for my age etc but have been warned that oil can create a barrier thus blocking pores etc .. so I use a scrub once a week (sometimes twice if I feel grotty) and a 2x weekly balm treatment. otherwise I just moisturise with BioOil

hester Thu 03-Sep-09 20:46:46

I'm a complete convert, and will never look back. My skin is clear, and never tight anymore.

TeamEdward Thu 03-Sep-09 20:50:09

dizietsma Thu 03-Sep-09 20:57:28

Oooh, link me the original thread please? Sounds lovely.

YesImSinister Thu 03-Sep-09 21:04:34

Can you link me to the original thread please? This sounds great.

TeamEdward Thu 03-Sep-09 21:16:47

TeamEdward Thu 03-Sep-09 21:20:24

YesImSinister Thu 03-Sep-09 21:29:02

thankyou

am amazed that there is a beneficial use for the castor oil I bought but was too wimpy to take to induce labour!

Heated Thu 03-Sep-09 21:34:06

Rather envy at all these glowing skin reports. I got lot of little lumps under the skin on my forehead and cheeks - it might not have been the OCM but it was the only new factor in my skin care. It took treatment from the GP to make them go.

TeamEdward Thu 03-Sep-09 21:38:50

TsarChasm Thu 03-Sep-09 21:42:45

I stopped it.

It was ok to start with but I ended up with oily skin that also felt dried out in patches. Also had a bumpy forehead.

Possibly I was doing it too much though.

hester Thu 03-Sep-09 21:55:02

How did you clean off the oil, Tsar and Heated? I remove it with a muslin cloth, soaked in very warm water (not hot, but as warm as is comfortable) which I hold over my face for a few seconds then have a little scrub. I do this four times.

I have tried just washing off the oil with tepid water, but it leaves me oily and clogged.

Sooty7 Thu 03-Sep-09 21:55:07

Message withdrawn

TsarChasm Thu 03-Sep-09 21:58:31

I was using a flannel in warm water.

As I understood it the method required the flannel to be quite warm. That part worried me a bit too as too much heat can cause broken veins on paler complexions.

Heated Thu 03-Sep-09 22:01:28

TeamEdward, my GP thought the OCM was responsible for the lumps under my skin but then he agrees with anything I suggest! He didn't need to refer me to a dermatologist (where maybe I might have got a definitive answer) because the cream prescribed and some antibiotics cleared it up - but it scared me off doing the OCM - and as I said there didn't seem to be any other factors.

TeamEdward Thu 03-Sep-09 22:05:48

LetThemEatCake Thu 03-Sep-09 22:08:52

ties in with what the beautician said about forming a barrier/ clogging ... hence a weekly scrub

Heated Thu 03-Sep-09 22:09:24

Good questins, but was scrupulous with the cleansing, used muslin cloths and hot water. Tweaked around with the % of castor oil/other oil but didn't make a blind bit of difference. My skin was softer but hardly compensation for a pebbledash forehead!

tigerbear Thu 03-Sep-09 22:11:24

I did the OCM every night for about 3-4 months and my skin looked much clearer - any spots I did get seemed to clear up very quickly, but I did get some bumps under the skin, like other posters. I think I was doing it too often.
Overall the positives outweighed the negatives. I don't do it anymore, as my skin now seems to be very clear and much less spotty than ever before. I liked doing it, but seems too much hassle every evening. I would begin it again if I needed to though.

VinoEsmeralda Thu 03-Sep-09 22:13:18

I have been doing the OCM for a few months now and it has been brilliant. Reduced redness of my skin a lot plus seems softer and genrally younger.

Do it about twice a week or if I wear eye make up

madeupsurname Thu 03-Sep-09 22:14:22

Like Sooty and Heated, my skin really deteriorated after a while. More spots than I have ever had in my life! Ditto the whole bumpy skin thing, and the sore spots. Am just getting back on track now with the help of the Retinox moisturiser recommended on another thread.

Glad it is working well for the rest of you though, it's a great idea (and a lot cheaper than what I am using now!). smile

mathanxiety Fri 04-Sep-09 06:54:08

I love the OCM. I always had acne problems, but finally sorted them out; however, remained a bit oily in the t-zone. I had always noticed that any face masks I ever used that contained grapeseed oil left my skin feeling really good, so I decided to get the grapeseed oil, and it had the same effect. I've tried using olive oil and also peanut oil when I run out of grapeseed, and they each have a completely different effect, not at all the same. If one oil doesn't seem to be having a good effect, maybe try another?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now