Talk

Advanced search

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp please! Evening wear dilemma

(6 Posts)
northender Tue 01-Sep-09 23:11:35

I'm going to a cricket club centenary dinner in a months time and have nothing to wear. I'm a size 18/20 but only 5 foot 4. I never wear skirts or dresses normally. My figure although big is in proportion ie big bust, big hips with a defined waist. I am completely clueless as to what to go for. I'm 37 so don't want to look like mutton dressed as lamb but at the same time would like to look and feel as good as I can.

Any help or advice would be appreciated smile, I really don't know where to start. The extent of my shopping is an odd visit to fat face so I don't even know what's in or out!

bishboschone Wed 02-Sep-09 08:40:09

if you bare hourglass how about a fitted black dress with a wide belt. maybe a small scarf around the neck. heals ..voila.

Tesco have got some really nice dresses in at mo if you wont use it much

northender Wed 02-Sep-09 08:56:17

Thanks, I have got a pair of heels saved for special occasionswink. I guess I could glam it up a bit with a scarf? I'm thinking mid calf length probably as I have v muscular calves I'm quite conscious of but slim (ish) ankles

MrsBadger Wed 02-Sep-09 08:58:25

re length just make sure it doesn't end up stopping at the fattest part of your leg

northender Wed 02-Sep-09 09:09:32

Okay so either above or below? Think I prefer the idea of below but not too far below iyswim. I knew I'd get good advice here! My friends (bar one) are of a similar mindset to me so would be of no use what so evergrin, however if I needed advice on the best running shoes/kit etc to get they'd be great. Horses for courses.

bishboschone Wed 02-Sep-09 17:21:24

I am 5ft 1 and have just bought a black dress which ends just under the knee. I think it is a very flattering length on me . I would say the would work .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now