Talk

Advanced search

Eyelash dying for 13 year old?

(14 Posts)
seeker Mon 31-Aug-09 15:46:36

My 13 year old dd has very long eyelashes but because she is a red head they are completely transparent. I have let her wear mascara for quite a while now, because her eyes disappear without it - particularly as she wears glasses. I was thinking of offering to get her lashes dyed before school starts again - apart from anything else it'd save us 5 minutes every morning! I can't think of a reason why not - apart from it feeling a bit weird at such an early age. Can anyone else think of a reason why I shouldn't?

missmelly Mon 31-Aug-09 16:11:23

if you let her wear mascara I dont see much difference with dying them. You can get those home kits in superdrug or boots, but I've only done my brows with them and not my lashes.

seeker Mon 31-Aug-09 17:02:18

Logically, neither do I - but it does somehow feel different!

Rubyrubyruby Mon 31-Aug-09 17:18:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lucylev Mon 31-Aug-09 17:25:48

Hello there,

Im a beauty therapist and did work in a salon for three years, i have tinted many young girls eyelashes, its completly safe and looks fab!

sherby Mon 31-Aug-09 17:32:49

Yes I would allow it

CarGirl Mon 31-Aug-09 17:34:01

yes my dd is getting hers done because I am sick of the panda look when she rubs her eyes!

notjustapuppymum Mon 31-Aug-09 20:39:58

seeker - I'm a beauty therapist and I don't see a prob dying your daughter's lashes at such a young age. HOWEVER ... please go to a salon, as I see you have said your daughter is redhead. Dying redheaded lashes/brows is tricky as they can sometimes go green so go to a therapist rather than trying yourself as she will know how to avoid this.

seeker Tue 01-Sep-09 07:37:21

Thank you - no I wouldn't try doing it myself - I've done my own and I know it's harder than it looks.

I won't tell her about the going green,though. I think she'd quite fancy that!

BonsoirAnna Tue 01-Sep-09 07:44:22

I have been dying my own eyelashes with Dylash for 24 years now; I have done friends and family too. I'm not even a red-head! My cousin's daughter, who is a red-head, has been dying hers since she was about your DD's age and it looks great - she does her own.

Getting your DD's eyelashes dyed is a great idea smile. Probably best to start with a salon treatment, though I'm sure in due course you and she can manage it together (it's really easy if you have a steady hand).

BonsoirAnna Tue 01-Sep-09 07:46:21

Seeker - can your DD not get contact lenses? At 13 you can start feeling self-conscious about glasses, and her eyes would show up so much more.

My eleven year old nephew got contact lenses before starting secondary school.

seeker Tue 01-Sep-09 07:55:21

She does want contact lenses, but she actually likes her glasses (she has several pairs!) and she can see well enough to go to parties and do sport and swim without them, so the optician told her to hold off a while on lenses. But they are certainly in her plans!

Angifi Tue 01-Sep-09 10:31:12

I don't want to put a negative slant on this, but try to go to a really good therapist. I was given lash dye treatment as a gift and the therapist was not so good.It really hurt my eyes,and it hurt for ages afterwards.I'll never have it done again.

I think I was just unlucky.Perhaps ask around so you know it is a good therapist.

notjustapuppymum Tue 01-Sep-09 13:09:06

You should always be given a patch test at least 24 hours before the treatment anyway to test for sensitivity.
Yes it can be a bit sore and stingy as to get the best result we try to get nice and close to the lash line which can mean a little bit gets into the eye but it should be wiped off thoroughly with lots of cold cooling cotton wool.
By saying be careful as she's redheaded, I'm not referring to the difficulty of applying the tint - it's just the colours in certain brands can cause redheads to go green. In the main, if you stick to black or blue/black it should be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now