Talk

Advanced search

Are ponchos a complete style no-no?

(15 Posts)
tulpe Sat 29-Aug-09 20:56:08

I have been sorting out my wardrobe and unearthed a beautiful wool/cashmere poncho. It is very elegant - think Donna Karan/Tod's rather than peruvian panpipe busking group.

Haven't worn it for a few years - iirc, ponchos were all over the place in 2004.

Would it be a huge sartorial mistake to layer it up over say jeans, long sleeve tee/merino jumper and boots?

dexter73 Sat 29-Aug-09 21:24:20

I saw Liz Hurley a couple of months ago and she was wearing a beautiful pale pink poncho and she looked amazing so I would give it an airing! She was wearing it with jeans and mahoosive sunglasses.

saltyseadog Sat 29-Aug-09 21:27:00

Yes - except for the under-5s wink.

cheesesarnie Sat 29-Aug-09 21:28:53

i think it sounds lovely!!but im not a fashionista!im a like it-wear it type person.

tulpe Sat 29-Aug-09 22:01:24

thanks

may well give it a try this autumn then. And if I am laughed at, I will donate it to someone's under-5 DD

cheesesarnie Sat 29-Aug-09 22:02:34

or megrin

MarshaBrady Sun 30-Aug-09 21:56:54

Tulpe, just saw this and remembered there were loads of swish ponchos in liberty. Think upper east side gywnnie look. Damn expensive (£600+!) so didn't try on. So go for it smile

tulpe Sun 30-Aug-09 22:56:14

Thanks Marsha

Was totally channelling that Gwynnie/Waspy/have a house in the Hamptons look

As weather has been totally dull here today, may even give it a go over white long sleeve tee at some NT type place tomorrow (was at one today and the abundance of fleece amongst women my age - 38 - depressed the feck out of me).....

fin42 Sun 30-Aug-09 23:40:11

I'm probably at the opposite end of the style barometer to you but I have a lovely dark green crocheted poncho that i bought in 2004 and can't bear to part with and drag out maybe 1-2 times each autumn since when I'm having that folksy feel.
If you feel good in something surely that is what style is all about.

tulpe Sun 30-Aug-09 23:43:48

absolutely, Fin42

tulpe Mon 31-Aug-09 00:41:57

oooh......just found this on net a porter. Tis exactly the same as mine except different colour (mine is lovely sage green).

If it is on net a porter, it must be stylish, non??!!

TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 31-Aug-09 07:06:16

does seem to be a lot in the shops. I couldn't figure out how you'd get a coat on over it when its rainy or cold though.
lol at 'peruvian panpipe busking group. '

I still poncho every autumn/winter, they are just so flattering and easy to wear.

Look good with skinnies and boots imo.

steaknife Mon 31-Aug-09 07:35:01

DM - this is what you wear in the rain grin

TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 31-Aug-09 07:43:27

Ooooooooooooooo, the lime green one for me please grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now