Talk

Advanced search

Barbour jackets - I'm tempted despite the £££;, anyone have one?

(17 Posts)
mondaymonday Sat 29-Aug-09 20:34:40

I always thought they were a bit old/country, but there are some really nice fitted ones that I've been looking at. Really want a new waterproof jacket and these actually look more stylish than anything I've seen elsewhere.

Anyone any opinions on these?

MrsSeanBean Sat 29-Aug-09 20:43:43

I've got a couple of really old battered ones, had them about 20 years. They wear well and become nice and supple with age, but you have to re-wax them which has a 'distinctive' smell. They are also the most waterproof/ windproof garment imaginable!

tulpe Sat 29-Aug-09 20:45:40

I started looking at them this week too! I was inspired by the Boden biker jacket - which is also waxed cotton - but didn't find anything by Barbour which I liked as much (and that also wasn't a total fortune).

mondaymonday Sat 29-Aug-09 21:02:44

tulpe I like the biker jacket as well (saw it on someone the other day!) - but I couldn't justify the £££ when it's not waterproof (showerproof I think).

The Barbour ones I like that are waterproof are unfortunately very expensive, but as MrsSeanBean says, they'd last forever

i like this one

love this one but not waterproof

tulpe Sat 29-Aug-09 21:12:27

like the first one

I read the reviews of the biker jacket and a couple of people had commented about how excellent it was at keeping the rain out for what is just a shower proof jacket. I used a discount code and got 15% off so paid £93 instead of £110.

Mine has just been despatched today so will give you an opinion once it arrives.

dexter73 Sat 29-Aug-09 21:21:01

I have 2 Barbour jackets and I love them. Mind you I did buy them both from the Barbour outlet in Portsmouth so I saved a lot of money.
I have this in brown and this.
The first was £99 from £199 and the second was £45 from £229.

mondaymonday Sat 29-Aug-09 21:24:18

thanks tulpe - eagerly await your review grin. I've been thinking about the cloud spotter mac as well, am being really indecisive

dexter - they are amazing discounts envy. I was looking at the amelia one, is really nice and great for £99

EleanoraBuntingCupcake Sat 29-Aug-09 21:27:00

they are v. heavy. dh has one from when he was an 80's city type hanging out with the country living set

Rubyrubyruby Sat 29-Aug-09 21:27:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mondaymonday Sat 29-Aug-09 21:28:51

eleanor - I agree with the classic Barbour coats (pictures country shooting types with tartan cap), but I think the newer styles are a bit more lightweight (need to find a shop though to try some)

dexter73 Sat 29-Aug-09 21:29:36

Mine aren't heavy. The Amelia one is a flyweight jacket which is really light but waterproof and windproof. I think they have progressed a lot from the old days!

mondaymonday Sat 29-Aug-09 21:30:00

ruby - do you think the biker jacket is one you'd be able to wear on a cold winter day, or more just autumn? (can't afford to buy one that won't last into winter)

MadameCastafiore Sat 29-Aug-09 21:31:13

There is a Barbour discount shop in Braintree, Essex - am always tempted to get the kids one to go with their Hunter wellies for dig walking but fear thay may get beaten up!

Rubyrubyruby Sat 29-Aug-09 21:43:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mondaymonday Sat 29-Aug-09 21:44:56

thanks ruby

LadyHooHa Sat 29-Aug-09 21:45:30

Biker stylee isn't my thing, but I love Barbour jackets generally!

vinblanc Sat 29-Aug-09 21:47:15

I have had several Barbours over the years. I like my 30 year old one the best. I think it is a Gamefair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now