Talk

Advanced search

Oh bloody hell!! I bought the wrong length dress for (my first!) upcoming posh work dinner/dance - help! 2 weeks today!!

(20 Posts)
AvadaKedavra Sat 29-Aug-09 20:22:48

I was un reliably informed that I needed to wear a full length dress for my DH's work's 100th anniversary dinner/dance.

I bought a gorgeous Monsoon floor length dress (and all the accessories to match) and felt really special in it.

I now find out from one of the women in the office that they are actually all wearing knee length cocktail dresses!!

HELP!

I need to find (online pref as work 6 days a week and live in a small Scottish town) a dress that'll co-ordinate with all the accs I bought - plus we ordered DH Highland Dress to co-ordinate too(Platinum Pride) and can't change that now I don't think...

The shape I am looking for is like this Monsoon dress or could do more strappy but would need a shrug thing - in lilac/purple/grey or black at a push, upto around £80 and in size 18/20.

I was nervous enough about this whole do, my first one and I don't know anyone to talk to and also found out we have to sit away from our spouses shock and now I am just shitting myself over this at the last minute.

Please help me!

janeite Sat 29-Aug-09 20:25:32

If you love your original dress, wear it. Sod everybody else! If it makes you feel special and is already all sorted for accessories, you're unlikely to find anything else you like as much.

tulpe Sat 29-Aug-09 20:26:36

I would stick with your original dress, tbh.

Maxi dresses are very cool and you do not want to be wearing the same as everyone else, because that would be very yawn-some

I know you are nervous but really, just relax and have a great time. We go to a fair few of these type affairs through DH's work and I always have a bit of a panic too but it really isn't worth it.

Just luxuriate in the knowledge that nobody else will be wearing the same dress as you

AvadaKedavra Sat 29-Aug-09 20:30:29

I don't want to stand out as the odd one out

prettybird Sat 29-Aug-09 20:33:24

You may well find that other wives/partners are also wearing long dresses, if they were also given the same info.

Anyway, maxi dresses are in fashion now.

Just have confidence in yourself.

macherie Sat 29-Aug-09 20:34:02

Could you get your dress shortened?

AvadaKedavra Sat 29-Aug-09 20:41:34

There's only 3 female spouses inc. me from DH office, the rest are male ;) I really really am not going to wear the dress now, I do not want to stand out in any way.

I considered getting the dress shortened but I do love it and will wear it sometime else instead

Please, links!

<scaredycatwimp>

mololoko Sat 29-Aug-09 20:42:58

that dress is lovely. i'd wear it and feel great.

cocktail dresses are a bit naff smile

AvadaKedavra Sat 29-Aug-09 20:47:56

That isn't my dress, just an idea of the shape I am looking for, unf it's the wrong colour by a mile as it's very very nice

brimfull Sat 29-Aug-09 20:48:26

here?

mondaymonday Sat 29-Aug-09 20:49:23

I'd wear what you were planning to - don't feel swayed. You'll stand out, in a good way

brimfull Sat 29-Aug-09 20:49:35

black

brimfull Sat 29-Aug-09 20:50:52

am thinking of getting this one

AvadaKedavra Sat 29-Aug-09 21:20:49

Thansk for those ggirl, hmm not keen on first one, second not sure about, third love that but is it work do enough being in jersey do you think?

Have already looked on additions/next/M&S/Debenhams/evans

essanel Sat 29-Aug-09 21:23:25

my friend has just got this one www.next.co.uk/shopping/occasions/womenswear/3/1 it looks gorg and the shoes are amazing too!

essanel Sat 29-Aug-09 21:23:49

sorry - not very good with links!!!

SilentBob Sat 29-Aug-09 23:48:18

Black, £68

Purple, £65

Amethyst, £55

SilentBob Sat 29-Aug-09 23:52:28

Bizzarely, £44.04! smile

AvadaKedavra Sun 30-Aug-09 08:47:09

Link for last one didn't work but managed to find it and love it!

Also ordered this one which is nothing like I wanted but I think it's lovely

Thanks SilentBob

AvadaKedavra Sun 30-Aug-09 09:05:09

And this and this from Holly Willybooby collection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now