Talk

Advanced search

Big whitehead - how to get rid - could be icky!

(14 Posts)
janmoomoo Sat 29-Aug-09 19:28:48

Got a big one between by eyelid and eyebrow. Really hard. How do you get rid of them does anyone know?

tulpe Sat 29-Aug-09 19:49:23

If it's very painful, I would hold a hot cloth over it to ease the pressure and help draw it out. If you have either lavender oil or tea tree oil, put one drop on your finger and apply to the spot. And then leave it alone!!

janmoomoo Sat 29-Aug-09 20:08:10

Ta but its not painful. Its not a spot, its small and hard and been there for months.

bran Sat 29-Aug-09 20:20:45

I used to get whiteheads and the best treatment I ever had was from a friend who used a needle (the sort that you give injections with, not the sewing sort) to make a slight incision on the surface of the whiteheads and then squeezed them out. I would be reluctant to do that near my eye though. I don't get them anymore since I changed cleanser.

Is it definitely a whitehead and not a yellowish lump? Yellow deposits around the eye are an indication of high cholesterol I think.

janmoomoo Sat 29-Aug-09 20:55:25

Mmm was wondering about doing that, seems the only option. Who would I get to do it for me tho - would a beautician type person do it?

southeastastra Sat 29-Aug-09 20:56:56

i liked to pick those out with needles shockgrin

janmoomoo Sat 29-Aug-09 21:20:35

Been reading up on this - they are called milia. I am starting to feel quite ill from some of the pics tho.

ravenAK Sun 30-Aug-09 00:10:40

Clean needle, follow up with a dab of tea tree. Maybe soften it up a bit first with a cotton wool ball soaked in very hot water?

deaddei Sun 30-Aug-09 09:17:04

I had one recently, (yes I googled and found some prety gross images)
Hot compress, tea tree oil seemed to do the trick. If not, a beautician could do it (and you'd get a lovely facial as well!)

thesleepyprincess Sun 30-Aug-09 15:45:54

I have lots of these around my eyes sad

Can a beautician really remove them? And why do I have so many?

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Sun 30-Aug-09 15:53:39

I've had one of these in the past and I used a sterilised needle and just broke the skin and squeezed it out.

bran Sun 30-Aug-09 16:39:09

What's your beauty routine like thesleepyprincess? Mine started to improve immensely when I started using Liz Earle Hot Cloth Wash, and disappeared completely when I changed to Akamuti Sweet Orange Cleanser. I think the rubbing action of a face cloth or muslin really helps to stop them from forming.

thesleepyprincess Sun 30-Aug-09 19:12:36

Hmmm...I'm [embarrassed] now but I don't really have a beauty routine. I use JOhnson's face wipes at the end of the day to take off make-up, and that's it. Going to investigate Akamuti cleanser...thank you! When I look closely at my skin with one of those horrible magnifying mirrors, I feel quite disheartened!!

redwiner Sun 30-Aug-09 19:18:37

My daughter has a couple of these and th beautician said exactly what the others have said, that they are milia and are simply oil from your skin not getting cleansed away regularly. Was told never to use needle around the eye area ( I have in the past though as long as your hand is steady)other wise they could end up staying for years. You really should have a good cleansing routine,one lady said she used Liz Earle and that is what both me and my daughter use. Look on her website or you can also buy her stuff from QVC. Reasonably priced as its really good stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now