Talk

Advanced search

What have you bought that in your mind you look like X (good) but in reality you like Y?

(34 Posts)
MarshaBrady Fri 28-Aug-09 16:27:06

I needed to buy new shoes today (due to a swimming incident in Whitstable yesterday) and went to Liberty to look.

Couldn't find anything but bought a ridiculously overpriced sort of wool/cashmere cape with buckles at the top.

I was thinking I was channeling a posh-ish Tatler-ish look with messy-ish hair.

When in reality I probably look like I am wearing an overpriced wool blanket.

Then to top it all off dh started doing 'kshh kshh I am your father' in a Darth Vader voice as I look like I am channeling the force instead.

SO what have you bought that you thought yes I am looking like this, then your dh or other have pointed out it is something else all together?

tulpe Fri 28-Aug-09 17:11:18

PMSL at Darth Vader comparison

My DCs would prob do the same. And in fact have ruined two pairs of lovely black leather gloves (the second were bought to replace the first ruined pair) by insisting on stealing them at every opportunity in order to play Star Wars. Apparently they were Darth Vader gloves.....perhaps you need a pair to accompany your cape?

Am sure I have some major style disasters in memory store somewhere. Will come back when I have put brain in gear.

Your cape sounds gorgeous, btw. Any links to same?

tulpe Fri 28-Aug-09 17:12:07

Oops......just realised it was your DH not DCs making the comments.........yep, that would be my DH too!

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 28-Aug-09 17:16:25

bought a long patterned top, thought I looked like funky mum, in reality look like pregnant middle aged woman (am not pregnant)

tulpe Fri 28-Aug-09 17:19:15

When I was pg with DS1, I found what I thought were some very stylish wide leg black trousers. Will go with everything, thinks I. I can channel the earth mother look with matching black tunic and a fab silver pendant, bangle combo.

I sashay into the sitting room to wow DH with my stylish new look and he promptly begins to adopt karate poses and making associated "hi-ya" noises. Apparently I was not channelling earth mother chic. No. I was channelling Kato chic. Has been my nickname ever since.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 28-Aug-09 17:24:11

Yes, if I wear all black my DH calls me a ninja lady.

Also once bought a burgundy jumper with a black feather collar (sounds awful and probably was) ..DH called me a reverse vicar.

When I showed him a brightly coloured top I had bought recently he asked when I had got a job singing with Ladysmith Black Mambazo angry

tulpe Fri 28-Aug-09 17:27:06

Fanjo

MarshaBrady Fri 28-Aug-09 17:28:45

Haha at all these.

Also bought a cream shortish dress where I thought I looked cool and Japanese-y but in reality looked like an off duty masseuse.

Will find link to cape, it is back in bag I am undecided!

MABS Fri 28-Aug-09 17:29:32

everything

deaddei Fri 28-Aug-09 17:30:40

Me too fanjo....
I put on a liitle ensemble on holiday for dinner- a aort of halter top with pegged trousers. Felt good till ds told me I had no fashion sense.
My brother has on occasion made me cry with comments like "wtf are you wearing?" but I now reply "you wouldn't understand, it's called fashion."

PictureInTheAttic Fri 28-Aug-09 17:32:04

A floaty hippy top that I hoped to look sort of seventies Bardot in. The effect was more Cleo Lane.

tulpe Fri 28-Aug-09 17:34:12

I am regularly told by DS1 (9 years old) that I am dressing like a teenager. I have told him that

a) he is not my father
b) I can wear elastic-waisted beige slacks and an acrylic fleece if he would prefer......perhaps throw in a mickey mouse tee for a bit of jollity

tulpe Fri 28-Aug-09 17:35:35

PITA - Cleo is still rocking that look. She lives just down the road from me and is our local sleb......along with Kevin Whately......altho he isn't known for wearing floaty hippy tops.

CybilLiberty Fri 28-Aug-09 17:38:19

I wore grey boyfriend blazer with shocking pink silk lining with sleeves fashionably ruched, skinny jeans and heels hoping I looked like Chrissie Hynd crossed with Kate Moss/Alex Chung.

I probably looked more like Crockett or most likely, TUBBS.

CybilLiberty Fri 28-Aug-09 17:39:00

I am having a crisis of confidence about my peg trousers too.

I was having a thin day when I bought them.

deaddei Fri 28-Aug-09 17:41:23

I'm about to do a Next order- no doubt ordering some future fashion disasters.

InTheseBeautifulPurpleShoes Fri 28-Aug-09 18:09:16

Wafted into my kitchen early this summer wearing a maxi dress I had bought two years ago in Matalan and never worn as weather had not been nice enough. DS1 (who always says "lovely" whenever you ask what he things of an outfit): "What are you wearing?"

Cue maxi dress in charity bag

MarshaBrady Fri 28-Aug-09 18:16:23

Oh yes a maxi dress with a bold pattern, I'm thinking sophisticated 70s look.

Walk in, dh - 'ha ha curtains'.

He's quite good at doing this actually!

casawasa Fri 28-Aug-09 18:42:42

Skinny red jeans from current Next catalogue to go with biker boots, bought after seeing miley cyrus on TV. Probably old enough to be her grandmother but I just avoid mirrors on the way out of the house.

TBH haven't left the house with the skinny jeans on yet as they barely cover my bum - may keep them for hoovering in

MarshaBrady Sat 29-Aug-09 20:16:50

Tulpe I tried to find a link but it seems ralph lauren stuff only exists on bad websites, or at least this cape poncho thing. Never bought ralph lauren before but it is low key and soft so not bad.

So I went to liberty today to take it back and nabbed an xs of a mannequin - it's better without the swathes of material.

Also ended up getting a Vanessa Bruno mustard dress which is ace and soft. Love her stuff. Spent too much though, love autumn clothing.

Plus dh came with me, so had approval on site. Much better!

tulpe Sat 29-Aug-09 20:20:43

Glad you stuck to your --light sabre-- guns on the issue of the cape, Marsha

I'm with you on the autumn clothing thing. I love mooching through racks of knitwear and lovely layering items.

Am going off now to try and find the RL cape on a bad website

cocolepew Sat 29-Aug-09 20:20:49

I got nice, grey slouchy trousers, I thought I looked very swish.

DH said "oh I like your slacks" shock.

He couldn't figure out what he'd said wrong.

Slacks ffs.

MrsSeanBean Sat 29-Aug-09 20:21:36

Boden (too short) denim skirt. In my mind I looked like the sylph like model, whereas in reality (a photo DH took of me) my torso looked square and toad-like, as wide as I was long.

Very, very unfortunate. Skirt was immediately got rid of.

tulpe Sat 29-Aug-09 20:21:38

Bugger. Witty comment totally ruined by sodding stroke out not working angry blush

tulpe Sat 29-Aug-09 20:22:20

strike out, even blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now