Talk

Advanced search

Treatments to protect hair from drying out in the sun

(17 Posts)
scrimble Wed 26-Aug-09 12:05:44

About to head of to sunnier climes for a couple of weeks. Any recommendations for hair treatments (perhaps a leave-in conditioner?) for preventing hair from drying out and becoming - usually in my case - 'fluffy' from being out in the sun?

RamblingRosa Wed 26-Aug-09 12:16:06

watching with interest. I'm wondering the same thing. I've heard Kerastase is particularly good for this but v pricey.

whatevermaycome Wed 26-Aug-09 15:55:03

This wella sun mask or this sun shimmer splash are brilliant.

The sunshimmer spray has spf 15 and worked a treat on protecting my coloured hair.

The mask can be used as an evening treatment or left on during the day to soak in.

Both recommended by my hairdresser who doesn't stock wella so not even a commission sell.

Really liked them both.

waitingforgodot Wed 26-Aug-09 18:27:57

Right ladies this is what you do. Get up and wash your hair in the morning and slap on a good conditioner for dry hair. Leave the conditioner in your hair and tie back and stick a headband or scarf on(I have a few of those headbands that expand into a bandana idea). Go out and lie on the beach or do whatever. Rinse out in the evening and voila-lovely conditioned hair. Worked wonders for me.

RamblingRosa Wed 26-Aug-09 20:58:44

I was thinking of doing that WFG but I was worried that a normal conditioner might a) go a bit er crispy if I left it on to dry in the sun and b) irritate my scalp (which is quite sensitive. What conditioner do you use?

RamblingRosa Wed 26-Aug-09 20:58:49

I was thinking of doing that WFG but I was worried that a normal conditioner might a) go a bit er crispy if I left it on to dry in the sun and b) irritate my scalp (which is quite sensitive. What conditioner do you use?

RamblingRosa Wed 26-Aug-09 20:58:50

RamblingRosa Wed 26-Aug-09 20:58:51

RamblingRosa Wed 26-Aug-09 20:59:19

Sorry! computer being odd blush

scrimble Wed 26-Aug-09 22:07:06

RamblingRosa - my thoughts entirely. smile

WFG, sounds an interesting idea and it's obviously tried-and-tested for you. Will give it a go. Like RR am wondering what sort of conditioner you use - if it's a rich conditioner or an everyday one.

RamblingRosa Thu 27-Aug-09 08:18:59

This range is meant to be brilliant but it's quite pricey. I'm starting to think I might not bother and will risk having parched/fluffy/staw like hair!

I did check in Boots yesterday and both Charles Worthington and Mark Hill do little mini UV/sun defence condioners and sprays. I might pick one of those up at the airport.

tulpe Thu 27-Aug-09 08:46:07

Can vouch for the fabulousness of Kerastase sun care range. My hair was butchered coloured a few months ago and the ends were totally screwed by whatever the colourist put on it (tried new salon as reg colourist could not fit me in.....HUGE mistake). It has taken me several months to get it back in good condition and I was worried that our summer hols would undo all that good work. I slapped on the Kerastase first thing in the morning and probably two or three times during the day. My hair was glossy and soft the entire holiday (despite pools/the sea and 35 degree heat).

However.......Kerastase is made by L'Oreal. L'Oreal also do a hair protection product, or so I believe. Perhaps their regular brand will be just as good?

RamblingRosa Thu 27-Aug-09 09:52:13

Which one did you use Tulpe? There seem to be several different sprays and creams in the range.

tulpe Thu 27-Aug-09 10:03:22

Kerastase Soleil, Defense Ultime, Care Index 3 (am assuming they make them in different strengths according to your own needs - ie coloured, dry, normal etc etc)

Cost about £15 direct from salon. 125ml size has lasted me a total of 3 weeks on holiday (2 weeks last year and a week earlier this year) plus various days when it has been hot enough here to warrant a slather of something

Bought another for our 2 week holiday this year and used approx half of the bottle.

I have shoulder length hair.

tulpe Thu 27-Aug-09 10:05:12

BTW, it is a cream rather than spray. A few years ago I used the Kerastase spray but found that whenever I swam I got a foul taste in my mouth. Realised it was the alcohol or whatever chemical was in the spray was running down into my mouth in the pool! No probs like this with the cream.

Also, when you slick it on, it just makes your hair look shiny and neat and doesn't go dry and crispy

MayorNaze Thu 27-Aug-09 10:10:07

i have short hair but have done it with long as well - basically just style your hair with suncream instead of regular products! protects your scalp as well )

waitingforgodot Thu 27-Aug-09 15:19:33

It was l'oreal elvive I used. If you have a scarf over your hair, it stops it going crispy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now