Talk

Advanced search

ok, this leggings thing

(91 Posts)
AnyFucker Tue 25-Aug-09 21:58:15

Although I am really too old for 'em I am intrigued

I am tall, slim, fairly flat tummy, with long legs, admittedly saggy knees but they will be covered of course. I have some long tops and boyfriend cardis to cover the bum area

I could consider wearing them if they were quite heavy duty, dark coloured, non-see-through material, came right down to my ankles and didn't go baggy

Has anybody of 40+ bought any and looked ok, and where might I find some like I have described ?

alternatively, tell me I am being silly

whooosh Tue 25-Aug-09 22:00:49

Ooooh-watching with interest (didn't think anyone else had "saggy" knees)

LetThemEatCake Tue 25-Aug-09 22:01:13

I have a friend of 41 who has a similar shape to the one you describe and she looks ace in leggings.

Also, I have horrible, horrible knees and leggings do them MANY favours.

American Apparel do good ones, have also heard great things about Topshop. I get mine from Blochs which is an Aussie label - not sure if available over here??

do it do it.

CMOTdibbler Tue 25-Aug-09 22:03:37

I'm 37 and tall, and have just got a couple of pairs of these which meet all your requirements.

MintChocAddict Tue 25-Aug-09 22:06:52

I got a nice black pair in New Look. They're leggings - in that they are stretchy and have an elasticated waistband (thankfully)- but are made from a soft denim material so are quite thick and definitely not see through.

I love 'em and although I'm not quite 40+, I'm old enough to have worn them last time around. wink

cheesesarnie Tue 25-Aug-09 22:09:23

mine are topshop and i was very impressed!they were about £12-try some!i dare you.grin

AnyFucker Tue 25-Aug-09 22:09:26

keep it coming...

thanks so far, ladies

CMOTdibbler Tue 25-Aug-09 22:11:36

Oh, and Long Tall Sally are doing theirs again this year - here. They are great quality (have been wearing mine since last year and no bobbling). But the waist is a little lower than I'd prefer in leggings

MintChocAddict Tue 25-Aug-09 22:12:32

Just checked the New Look website after posting (am rubbish at links) and they're on the front page - £15. 'Must have look of the season' -apparently! grin

dogofpoints Tue 25-Aug-09 22:21:49

But leggings are not just about leggings, are they?

There then follows a whole raft of ropey ideas about what to wear with them.

Leegings suiting your body is only half the battle.

TsarChasm Tue 25-Aug-09 22:24:59

And what shoes to wear?

AnyFucker Tue 25-Aug-09 22:25:29

what do you suggest dop ?

what does anyone else suggest ?

BigGobMum Tue 25-Aug-09 22:32:36

Ive got the New Look ones and they are a perfect length (am tall) but go soooooo baggy.

dogofpoints Tue 25-Aug-09 22:33:31

Well, I would never go for leggings due to associated problems of tops and shoes.

cheesesarnie Tue 25-Aug-09 22:39:57

i wear dresses over the top or denim mini+ top.or floaty tops or floaty little skirts.and usually ballet pumps.

AnyFucker Tue 25-Aug-09 22:40:29

well, I only wear flat shoes so am a bit limited tbh

I would wear gladiators for the next month or so

then, if said leggings were heavy duty enough, and top was long enough, probably boots

in other words, I would treat 'em like a pair of trousers..is that wrong ?

fishie Tue 25-Aug-09 22:43:13

i've got grey marl m&s limited collection 3/4 length with cuffs which i am wearing now with a sweatshirt dress from uniqlo.

otherwise i have long, very long, american apparel in navy. you can't wear them with jersey dress or it is like some sort of middle aged pyjama. so denim / cord skirt or patterned dress.

dogofpoints Tue 25-Aug-09 22:45:44

hm. I would avoid ballet pumps and gladiators too. You lotsmust be lookers

AnyFucker Tue 25-Aug-09 22:48:59

pardon dog ?

TsarChasm Tue 25-Aug-09 22:51:07

Boots and leggings look v good imo.

I can never make my mind up about leggings and flat shoes though.

High shoes look ok but I so rarely wear high shoes these days I feel overdressed when I do.

PitysSake Tue 25-Aug-09 22:51:47

i am not sure abotu boots and leggings looking much less revelaing than a pair of tights tbh - for work or whatever

LetThemEatCake Tue 25-Aug-09 22:54:57

boots & leggings good.

Leggings and gladiators bad.

You'd need a pump-y/ plimsoll-y type thing. the sort of thing that rocketdog do.

LetThemEatCake Tue 25-Aug-09 22:55:43

leggings and high shoes bad

Unless you are Olivia Newton John singing "you;re the one that I want"

ministryofsleep Tue 25-Aug-09 22:57:22

I have the topshop ones CMOT linked too and they are brill, I wear them with long t-shirts or jumper dress over the top and ballet pumps

AnyFucker Tue 25-Aug-09 22:58:32

but why are leggings and glads bad ??

is it because this is a very young look ?

I have some fab glads but have really struggled to wear them this summer and was hoping the acquisition of some leggings would extend their season a little bit smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now