Talk

Advanced search

HELP, I NEED A TOTAL MAKEOVER

(22 Posts)
FabMum1 Mon 24-Aug-09 17:26:08

I'm 36 but have started feeling much older.
I feel I am stuck in a rut and need some help.
I'm no longer trendy and my skin is feeling is feeling in need of some anti-ageing products.
I really don't know where to start.
I think I need
- Long lasting foundation
- Skin highlighter
- Mascara
- Bronzer
- Moisturiser and eye cream
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Perfume
- Body lotion
- New clothes, something trendy n comfy.
- Accessories
HELP!
Any suggestions
blush

bishboschone Mon 24-Aug-09 18:11:27

I am 34 and am fighting the ageing process. I try to buy stylish well fitted clothes. Get yourself to a department store and get a personal shopper to help you find some basics . good fitting jeans and trousers.
I use oil of olay day and night cream . No7 foundation , max factor 2000 calorie mascara and some bronzer.

not sure if that helps but may give you some ideas

tulpe Mon 24-Aug-09 18:21:06

size?
budget?
lifestyle? (ie do you need clothes for running around after DCs only or are you looking for work wardrobe too?)

Before splashing out on loads of new clothes, it is a good idea to get grooming underway .

What is your skin like? Dry/oily etc
I love CHanel Vitalumiere foundation. It is very nourishing but not overly greasy. Lasts all day, ime. For days when I want something lighter, Chanel tinted moisturiser is perfect.

What is your hair like? Then we can work out which products may suit

What perfume have you worn in the past? What aromas appeal to you? Floral, citrus, woody notes? Best thing to do for perfume is to go and cruise the department stores and get samples. Spray on to one of their tester cards first and then if you like it try it on your own skin. And make sure you still like it 3 hours later

FabMum1 Wed 26-Aug-09 09:32:16

Thank you ladies for your help.
I'm 36 with 2 children that I run around after. I like a the smart casual look, but not for work. Size 8-10 with a small budget.
I have a combination skin but am def seeing signs of ageing around my eyes and forehead. Need a good coverage for daytime make up and some assistance with lipstick.
My hair is quite dry, shoulder length and in need of some TLC.
I love Calvin Klein perfumes, also perfumes with a light scent, dont really like anything to heavy.
Hope this helps
smile

inkyfingers Wed 26-Aug-09 18:51:48

Go round New Look, Next etc with friend who has a style you like. At 36 with your size you'll look good in most styles. Avoid anything too teenage. Don't take DCs and treat it like dressing up. Buy a few things over next few weeks and build up ways to wear them.

purplepeony Wed 26-Aug-09 19:06:41

Darlings you make me laugh- "I am 34 and fighting the aging process"- try being 50+ and then you will see what age really is! smile

The world's your oyster- go for young ranges like Benefit, skin care from Boots No 7- Pure and Protect is supposed to work and they do eye creams etc, the whole lot. Or try L'Oreal or Olay.

If your skin is good you can afford to buy cheapish cosmetics and see what you like- Rimmel, L'Oreal, Revlon, etc.

I always buy a good foundation- Clinique- and expensive moisturisers, but I think you can get great eye colours and lip sticks etc in the budget ranges.

FabMum1 Wed 26-Aug-09 22:27:03

Hi ladies
Thank you so much for your comments, I am now going to surf the internet and look at New Look n Next for starters.
Will also be paying Boots a visit to have a look at No.7 and Clinique (which I have heard good things about before). The problem I have with foundation is getting one that lasts long enough too.
I also find piecing things together difficult. I look at other women sometimes n think they look fab, where do they get their style ideas from. I haven't got a clue!
sad

janeite Wed 26-Aug-09 22:31:16

I like Olay Regenerist for skincare. It's nice and light, has SPF and does seem to make a bit of a difference.

For makeup, Clinique is good (I don't rate their skincare stuff) but Mac is the best for eyeshadows.

Perfume - I love Kenzo Flower - nice and light / or Philosophy Pure Grace.

Body lotion - I like Aveeno - dead cheap in Boots.

AbricotsSecs Wed 26-Aug-09 22:35:36

Message withdrawn

colditz Wed 26-Aug-09 22:38:42

As forpiecing things together ask ashop assistant (not a teenager).That's why theyare thereand generally they love this part of the job!

Sorry, keyboard is naff

FabMum1 Wed 26-Aug-09 22:42:17

Thanks Hoochie, lots of great suggestions.

Will def be visiting a Benefit and Estee Lauder counter at the weekend. Oh I'm getting excited (how sad am I). Just need to feel like my old self n not dowdy like I do right now.
smile

AbricotsSecs Wed 26-Aug-09 22:51:26

Message withdrawn

AbricotsSecs Wed 26-Aug-09 22:53:04

Message withdrawn

AbricotsSecs Wed 26-Aug-09 22:53:35

Message withdrawn

noddyholder Wed 26-Aug-09 22:54:04

what is dior show?Thanks

AbricotsSecs Wed 26-Aug-09 23:00:38

Message withdrawn

FabMum1 Wed 26-Aug-09 23:04:11

Oh I like the look of the mascara wand, do you buy yours from Sephora ?
Estee Lauder it is then, will try very hard not to be convinced to buy other products. Have quite a strict budget so MUST NOT BE TEMPTED!, lol!

AbricotsSecs Wed 26-Aug-09 23:19:52

Message withdrawn

FabMum1 Thu 27-Aug-09 09:57:31

Oh yes, brill idea re Boots points. Can also look in there at Benefit too.
Thanks Hoochie

FabMum1 Thu 27-Aug-09 17:22:47

Hoochie just checked out Debenhams and from 17 sep to 3 oct they are doing a free gift worth £50 on Estee Lauder, so you know where I'll be going.
smile

AbricotsSecs Sun 30-Aug-09 17:59:36

Message withdrawn

FabMum1 Tue 01-Sep-09 14:34:43

Thanks for your help ladies
Have so far purchased a new pair of jeans, two gypsy style long blouses, protect and perfect and am in line for the Estee Lauder offer to buy my foundation
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now