Talk

Advanced search

curvy ladies ... where to you buy your clothes?

(17 Posts)
muddleduck Mon 24-Aug-09 14:10:26

I know I've posted on this before but I really need help. grin

This year I've been trying to sort my wardrobe out as most of its contents were much older than my children. I've bought several pairs of fab trousers and a couple of skirts that I'm really chuffed with (boden and hobbs), but I've really failed when it comes to tops.

I'm a 34gg. Size 12 trousers.

I've been browsing the web for days trying to find somewhere that sells stuff that would be a good cut for my figure, but everything seems intended for ladies without curves.

I want to buy 2 or 3 tops in fairly neutral colours.

HELP grin

bishboschone Mon 24-Aug-09 17:30:26

have you tried bravisimo? They do clothes in curvy , super curvy etc. ideal for slim people with big boobs.
I am very curvy but small if that makes sense.( size 10 bottom size 8 on top) v small waist 30 e boobs)and I struggle with clothes but I just keep trying things on and eventually I get somewhere. Next is generous on tops too

bishboschone Mon 24-Aug-09 17:32:20

here

OhBling Mon 24-Aug-09 17:36:44

As you're relatively slim, I'd say that lycra and all stretch fabrics are your friend...

Don't worry, I'm not talking about some super stretchy whatever, but often department stores and others will do t-shirts and tops with some stretch in them - when I was slimmer I bought a lot from M&S for example where they could nicely stretch over the bust without looking hideous. This worked wel in particular for round and v-necks rather than things with buttons etc.

muddleduck Mon 24-Aug-09 19:30:12

Is bravissimo really the only answer?
how depressing sad.

I have a couple of their tops and tbh I'm not really impressed. For what they cost I'd expect much better fit/quality. And they are really dull. And they have practically nothing in stock at the moment. And they have an obsession with wrap style tops which are fine if I want everyone to stare at my breasts all day grin

Usually I would go for stretchy fabrics but to be honest with my post children wobbly tummy this isn't the best look.

please somebody help me find some nice tops?

thank you smile

CHOOGIRL Mon 24-Aug-09 21:11:31

I am 34E and think Vivienne Westwood Anglomania tops are worth the money. You get 10% off my-wardrobe with mumsnet.

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Tue 25-Aug-09 23:50:58

Oooh, I am going to get me some of that Anglomania when I hit the job market again. Thanks, Choogirl.

aarghhelp Wed 26-Aug-09 08:13:02

I have been putting my work wardrobe back together again, also using Boden and some Hobbs. I am bigger than you (16-18) and have a bust that is 10-12 inches bigger than my waist. I am basically a big girl with a small waist and I have suspicions that bravissimo is really for small girls with big boobs although I haven't investigated their clothing range beyond walking past it in the Oxford branch and not feeling inspired to try anything on.

I have got some tops from Boden in the sale and the one I like best for work is this as it's excellent value, very comfy fabric, doesn't need ironing, is quite form fitting but fairly modest and has long sleeves which extends its life into winter. I might get some more crinkle shirts in the next Boden sale.

muddleduck Mon 31-Aug-09 10:29:02

Hi.
thanks for these suggestions.
The anglomania one is a bit out of my budget, but I do have a birthday coming up... grin

aaarhhelp - I'm amazed that you managed to have success with Boden. I was sure that they designed clothes with women with no boobs. The one that you link to is out of stock, are there any others that have worked for you?

keep the suggestions coming [smile

mamijacacalys Mon 31-Aug-09 17:18:57

I am a G cup and have these tops from Boden.
Both are gorgeous.
www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Tops-and-T-shirts/Long-Sleeved-Tops/WL504/Womens-Double-Layer-Twisted-T op.html
www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Tops-and-T-shirts/3_4-Sleeved-Tops/WL515/Womens-Frilly-Flower-Top.html
In the summer I had some short sleeved tops from M&S to go with work suits. I noticed today in store that they do a long sleeved version for winter. They're about £12 each. Nice material. Here is the link to the short sleeved version, can't find the long sleeved on line.
www.marksandspencer.com/gp/product/B001N4BGSW/sr=1-6/qid=1251735454/ref=sr_1_6/276-5130468-8094651?i e=UTF8&node=&m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&keywords=&mnSBrand=core&size=9&rh=n%3A83175031&page=1

ssd Mon 31-Aug-09 17:24:53

agree about bravissimo, they seem to make tops that make big boobs look even bigger! I don't think they are designed well for bog boobs at all

the Westwood one looked just like a tee shirt and god what a price! who could afford that for a top?

ssd Mon 31-Aug-09 17:25:34

bog boobs blush

big boobs!

jeminthecellar Mon 31-Aug-09 17:27:43

I am a 34HH, and very tall, so Bravissimo clothes, although excellent, do not fit, in fact most things don't fit.

(Is that any help, ie I feel your pain{grin])

jeminthecellar Mon 31-Aug-09 17:28:19

Shit grin, obviously, <sigh>

muddleduck Tue 01-Sep-09 08:59:27

thanks ladies. smile

Good to hear that some of the boden tops do fit. I'd avoided the twist top as several of the reviews say that it doesn't fit right on larger boobs.

The M&S one that is linked is very similar to one I got there a few years ago that is about to fall apart as I've worn it LOTS. I think it is the gathering at the neckline that makes this work. Not sure about colours though ...

moocowme Thu 03-Sep-09 18:31:27

i find it very hit and miss as well being a 34G. but i have found that sainsburys clothes seem to be for the more rounded figure, otherwise i have made my own tops or altered ones i have made.

when buying one i keep going up in size until it fits across the bust, this is usually a size 16. then i take it in down the side seams or put darts in it.

another trick that has worked well is to zigzag some stretched elastic across the back or just across the sides. this can cinche it in nicely.

otherwise i go for a belt. primark have some nice cheap stretchy ones that i find work well.

muddleduck Tue 08-Sep-09 13:36:23

Hi Moocowme
I've been thinking of doing some alterations but am not sure that my sewing skills are up to it. I have a bunch of t-shirts that are really baggy round the waist - could you gime me step-by-step instructions on how to take them in at the side seams?

[cheeky emoticon]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now