Talk

Advanced search

Dyeing hair blonde at home

(15 Posts)
BeauticianNotMagician Mon 24-Aug-09 13:01:10

Hi i usually get a full head of highlights every six weeks but i simply cannot afford it anymore.Has anyone had success with a blonde home hair dye kit.Recommendations please.My natural hair colour is described by salon as dark blonde but mousey brown to the rest of us i think.smile

bluebump Mon 24-Aug-09 13:26:54

I had the same problem and started using this stuff. My hair is dark brown naturally and it works fine as it is something like 13% peroxide which is about what they use on me in the salon. I use the cap and just make sure that the strands are very thin as the chunky ones look rubbish at the roots otherwise on me. I've bought it from both Boots and Superdrug before and it is often on offer.

BeauticianNotMagician Mon 24-Aug-09 13:33:08

Thank you bluebump is it difficult to do though as usually i find the cap painful as my hair is quite long.

bluebump Mon 24-Aug-09 13:51:58

My hair is long too so although I can do the front ones myself, I usually need someone to do the back ones.

BeauticianNotMagician Mon 24-Aug-09 17:27:03

I dont know if i can get anyone to help.I was looking more for something i can just apply all over but will keep this in mind.

BeauticianNotMagician Mon 24-Aug-09 21:15:14

Bump.

Jewelsandgems Mon 24-Aug-09 21:27:12

Hi can I just say, as a full-head-highlighter having your whole head done every 6 weeks is very very extreme! I have mine done very 12 weeks, and mostly that is considered more than usual than most.

Why not adopt a routine that is cheaper/kinder to hair like this kind of thing? So, you start with full head, then book for 10 weeks and have half head, then book for 10 weeks and have full head again etc etc... This makes a massive difference cost-wise and also your hair will really thank you for it!

The other option is going for jennifer anniston toffee highlights which are very fashionable right now, and will go beautifully with autumnal colours
like this and you can have your hair done a whole lot less.

BeauticianNotMagician Mon 24-Aug-09 21:32:24

Do you really think its extreme.Gosh i dont think i could go that long my hair does grow very fast.I last had it done 6 weeks ago and my roots are about two inches already.

Paolosgirl Mon 24-Aug-09 21:33:26

I've had to stop the highlights due to lack of cash, and now use Clairol's Perfect 10. I wish I'd discovered it months ago and saved myself a small fortune. More info here

Jewelsandgems Mon 24-Aug-09 21:40:40

Well your hair sure does grow fast! In 6 weeks I have 1 inch regrowth max, maybe 1 1/2 but it doesn't bother me that much. I dry my hair with volume at the roots, so you notice regrowth even less (and I have fine hair, so this actually adds thickness and depth to my hair)

I am sure you can get a good result at home too - I guess the best way is to try a few out and see. Personally, I would also do this, if I was planning on going for a more mid-toned hair. Mine is pearl blonde highlights, with 2 tints which are an ash blonde and a ash brown, so I am 100% sure this is not a result I can achieve at home with one home colourant kit.

BeauticianNotMagician Mon 24-Aug-09 21:44:13

Paolosgirl I was looking at that in the shop just the other day.What colour is your hair naturally?Does the colour come out evenly?Sorry for all the questions.

BeauticianNotMagician Mon 24-Aug-09 21:50:00

Jewelsandgem I know everyone says about how fast it grows.If only it were thick and not baby fine.I do tie my hair back alot as well simply because it does grow so fast and any cut i get gets out of shape so quick.I used to think it was a blessing but its costing me too much.

I definitely prefer the look i can achieve in a salon but im a single mum with nursery fees,working part time and studying i just dont have the money any more or the time.smile

Paolosgirl Mon 24-Aug-09 22:06:07

My hair is naturally dark blonde (mousey!) also. I've used the light ash blonde and the medium ash. I found the light just a bit too light, as I fancied going a bit darker. The medium ash is perfect. For some reason it does seem to look light I've got highlights, and my friend who used to be a hairdresser and now cuts my hair for me for a tenner (hows that for money saving!) asked me where I was getting my hair coloured. She was really impressed when I told her it was Perfect 10 (and no, I don't work for Clairol!).

I'd love to go back to the highlights, but just couldn't justify the expense, like you. My hair also grows v quickly, is very thick and has more grey in it that I would like.

BeauticianNotMagician Mon 24-Aug-09 22:17:31

Thank you Paolosgirl i think i will try it.Really hope it works as it would save a fortune.I used to home dye years ago but cant remember what i used.Just one last question my hair is just past my shoulders is one packet enough or should i invest in two.

Paolosgirl Mon 24-Aug-09 22:19:53

I'd just get one. My hair is the same length as yours by the sound of it, and quite thick. I've always had solution left over at the end, so 1 should be fine. Hope it works out OK for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now