Talk

Advanced search

I went to the Chanel makeup counter, assistant demonstrated products on me. I have NEVER worn as much makeup in my life!

(28 Posts)
Jewelsandgems Sun 23-Aug-09 19:49:03

I went for some foundation after seeing that the lumiere range was good. So I asked the assistant and she said there was a new one, better for my skin - this

I was all excited, thinking that the coverage and result would be tons better than my no7 tinted moistorisor.

But OMG. She put in on with a brush and it was terrible, could see the brush strokes, did not sink in (she had applied moisterisor efore the foundation) and it was caked around my chin and forhead. Thank God they didn't have the correct shade in stock (just the tester she used on me) so I didn't feel obligigated into buying it.

She also the new autumn colours to my eyes which are very dark green and looked amazing. But it was definately not a daytime look blush and I had to wonder around the shopping centre feeling ridiculous.

When I got home I got the stuff off immediatly and realised how much better my skin looks without (this) foundation!

I duly bought another tube of my usual tinted moistorisor, and will keep well away fron the stand from now on (I did end up buying a fabulous mascara and a lip gloss too, that I didn;t need) grin

cocolepew Sun 23-Aug-09 19:51:27

Was she orange?

AbricotsSecs Sun 23-Aug-09 19:52:56

Message withdrawn

FrameyMcFrame Sun 23-Aug-09 19:53:53

Last time I went to one of those counters I ended up spending 150 quid shock

LuluMaman Sun 23-Aug-09 19:54:18

you need to let your moisturiser sink in for a good few minutes before foundation!!
so wonder it went all cakey!

Jewelsandgems Sun 23-Aug-09 20:04:08

Well Lulu she did let it sink it a little but, but certainly no longer than 1 minute hmm

coco she was a little bit orange, but not overly so, like you do see sometimes grin

I am starting to think that you hoochie are right! wink

Katiekitty Sun 23-Aug-09 20:06:22

ooh - off on a tangent, but that No 7 tinted moisturiser IS good!

lou33 Sun 23-Aug-09 20:07:22

i would recommend going to a benefit counter, they dont plaster stuff on and have a more natural look

plus their products are lovely

they are the only counter in my store that dont charge for makeovers to be offset against buying products too, so you can basically go in get them to do you over and not have to pay or buy for anything

and they have always been v friendly and helpful and not snooty or overbearing

HaggisNeepsnTatties Sun 23-Aug-09 20:07:32

Chanel nail varnish is fantastic!! smile

Jewelsandgems Sun 23-Aug-09 20:13:31

katiekitty yes it is good, such a dewy look - very flattering!

lou I do love benefit stuff, the only blusher I wear is benetint. It;s just because I was recommded the chanel one I thought I'd try it and see. Never heard anyone really rave about benefit foundation. Wanted to get it right! (But how wrong I was !)

lou33 Sun 23-Aug-09 20:16:31

i use their you rebel tinted moisturiser, which i really like

Jewelsandgems Sun 23-Aug-09 20:19:39

lou when I have run out of this batch of no7, I will give the benefit one a try (but you know it has a lot to live up to!)

watsthestory Sun 23-Aug-09 20:52:17

Message withdrawn

lou33 Sun 23-Aug-09 21:19:52

i am a huge benefit fan, it's a bit pricey for me but i think it is worth it, especially their erase paste

PitysSake Sun 23-Aug-09 21:20:57

i wouldnt moiusturise under VL

watsthestory Sun 23-Aug-09 22:33:15

Message withdrawn

PitysSake Mon 24-Aug-09 12:06:37

i nerver moisturise before foundation anwyay as IMO it all slides off hten
aslo VL is quite shiny

ThisIsWhyYouWereToldNotTo Mon 24-Aug-09 12:39:37

Ooh I had a hideous experience with a chanel thing - got a free facial and makeover thing. The facial was terrible (DH could have done a better job) and I ended up with foundation so thick it creased when I moved my face, and just truly frightening eye make up.

My mum's was even worse - she insisted on using this different foundation stuff and it highlighted every single line on my mum's face shock

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 24-Aug-09 12:47:03

Space NK far better at putting make up on than House of Fraser types concessions workers. I wanted to use vitalumiere, however my skins is incredibly pale, Chanel colours very pale also but they are yellow, I have pinky skin. Sat like paint on my skin when tried it.

Now use Eclat Opulent by By Terry - costs a fortune but it has an amazing texture.

It is funny how different expensive foundaitons are - I went to my mum's this weekend and forgot my make up, and used her Rimmel - you could really feel that the texture, colour and coverage was not as good as more expensive foundation. I say spend a fortune on foundation and then get your eyeshadows, lipsticks and mascaras from Miss Sporty etc.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 24-Aug-09 12:48:13

Agree leave a good 15 mins after putting on moisturiser before putitng on foundation.

watsthestory Mon 24-Aug-09 13:36:26

Message withdrawn

Bleh Mon 24-Aug-09 14:25:36

I do agree that the Chanel nail polishes are good. Got my first one last week: one coat (over undercoat) and it lasted without chips for four days! (it was chipped by the end of the fifth day, but then I was lugging tons of stuff about, so understandable).

Jewelsandgems Mon 24-Aug-09 21:45:47

I used my no7 tinted moisterisor this morning (phew to have supple, glowing skin! And to NOT feel like I am wearing any makeup at all!) the new Chanel mascara which is truly excellent and the lip gloss which is actually totally beautiful. I am not a lipstick girl and am in love with this product. [swoon emoticon]

So, Chanel is forgiven on those grounds, but it will take a while before I run the gauntlet of Chanel foundation again!

NorthernSky Mon 24-Aug-09 22:30:43

Message withdrawn

supersalstrawberry Mon 24-Aug-09 22:36:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now