Talk

Advanced search

ebaying- guide please?

(5 Posts)
purplepeony Sat 22-Aug-09 11:14:19

I am going to ebay some boots soon- they are narrow calf width boots, riding boot syle and cost £135 new last year. Have worn a few times but TBH wasn't that keen on the style and have now seen some others I like better.

Do you think half the original price is okay as a starting price or is it too much?

joliejolie Sat 22-Aug-09 11:17:28

I think it would be a good idea to put a low starting price with a reserve. That way you are not obligated to sell at a lower price than you want, but you still encourage bidding.

I personally don't bid on things that has a starting price that is too high.

higgle Sat 22-Aug-09 11:23:32

Purplepeony If they are a really good make you might get a buyer on this basis, but really you get the best prices when a couple of people are battling it out for something they really want. It is a bit old fashioned now but I start everything very low and then if there is a market you get a good price, if something has a high start price it often seems to go to just one bidder. If there is a reserve purchasers know that they cannot get it for less than £50 which puts them off. The number of times gullible me has started out bidding of a 99p item and ended up paying £60 + is legion. To go back to original question what sort of price were they in the sale? for used secondhand I'd want to pay sales less 30% or so - unless they were a cult item that had sold out.

purplepeony Sat 22-Aug-09 11:49:29

They never were in the sale- I paid £135 for them last season. Duo do have a sale but the more popular/classic styles never go in it.

I think I might start low with a reserve- I can't afford to let them go for a low figure, as I need the money to put towards some new ones.

higgle Sun 23-Aug-09 14:27:06

Another thought - if you have not already listed them do a completed listing search - then you can see what similar boots have been sold for. A quick look through shows that there was one pair that made just over £50 but most went for less or remained unsold at £35 /£40 - if yours did not go in the sale perhaps they will fetch a good price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now