Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had their 'colours done'??

(14 Posts)
Littledawley Sat 22-Aug-09 07:37:06

Colour me beautiful type thing??

I think that I dress fairly well and I'm pretty good with make-up but I like the idea of being told what colours to buy/avoid. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had it done - was it worth it?

It's really easy to do yourself, get a good honest friend and a stack of clothes/sheets/towels in every colour imaginable.

Stand in front of a big mirror in good natural daylight and drape different colours around your neck and shoulders.

The differences in your face will be quite noticable, look for which colours make you look washed out/pale/sallow/ill. These do not suit yougrin.

However some will make your eyes stand out/your hair look great/your skin glow. These do suit yougrin.

Remember good light, no make up, honest friend. Don't try and convince yourself that a colour looks good on you because you have lots of fave items in said colour.

Though you can still wear stuff that doesn't technically suit you if you wear it away from your face, ie bottom half of your body or by wearing a scarf in a colour that does suit.

'Tis really easy and will save you a stack of money to spend on new togs.

evaangel2 Sat 22-Aug-09 07:51:29

I had this done many years ago and it was great...I learnt to avoid the colours which do myself no justice especially the colours I loved at the time
as you will already know its all about your colour hair and skin tone...I was told to avoid pink as it enhances my skin tone to look paler..I should only wear a cerise or fucshia pink...reds to avoid where bright red...but claret and burgundy are fine...greens were fine also blue but I was told to avoid white and go for ivory/cream if I ever married.
go and have it done..its a good experience...it made me experiment more with colours which I thought I didnt like but in fact suited me...good lucksmile

AbricotsSecs Sat 22-Aug-09 07:53:28

Message withdrawn

Littledawley Sat 22-Aug-09 08:00:56

Thanks all - I'm seriously considering booking it. I know that I suit certain colours but would like to know what to avoid. Am just a bit worried that the consultant will be a bit scary!! Maybe I should book with a friend..

Mercedes Sat 22-Aug-09 10:23:53

I had this done last year and really enjoyed it. It's been useful as I just don't look at certain colours now when I go shopping- saves a lot of time.

I love lime green and I was really disappointed to be told this wasn't a good colour for me. However the woman who did the colours told me what to do to get round this - use of silver and white etc.

purplepeony Sat 22-Aug-09 11:10:38

I had mine done about 20 years back!

It was Colour me Beautiful.

I was disappointed as she said i was on the cusp of 2 types!

anywa, one thing it did do was sterr me away from black and navy and give me confidence to try neutrals and ecru shades, as well as other colours.

I bought the book Colour me Confident a while back and it's good.

I think the problem with DIY is that you are not always the best judge of what really suits you. eg I used to LOVE peachy shades but realise that although I like them, they don't like me and make me look washed out.

The bottom line seems to be - are you a warm person who suits golds, browns, etc or a cool person who suits cooler shades.

I look drab in khaki and moss green,(warm) but suit blue-greens.

It's worth having done, IMO and there is also House of Colour, not just CMB.

PigeonPie Sat 22-Aug-09 11:30:18

I had it done with House of Colour in February and I'm still learning. It has definitely been worth the money. I have recently had my style done too and, although I can't find anything at the moment to buy, I know that when I do buy clothes, I will buy the right ones for me and will feel confident in wearing them.

If you're anywhere near Witney in Oxfordshire, then their consultant there is one of their leading people and is fantastic.

Both days were really enjoyable too. I had the colours day for my birthday from everyone, and when you put how much you might spend on clothes in a year and how much you spend on mistakes, it's definitely worth it!

LovelyTinOfSpam Sat 22-Aug-09 11:37:16

I went with a friend - she wanted it for her 30th - it's not something i would normally do myself IYSWIM.

It was really good fun - deffo recommend. And the colours thing is true, though unfortunately I don't always follow the advise!

AUBINA Sat 22-Aug-09 20:26:07

I had my colours done about 20 years ago. It was at a tuperware style party which was great because you could see how true it was for the other people. It is harder to see on yourself. Its interesting because some colours light up your face and make you look "well". Other colours drain you though and make you look ill.

Sometimes I wear the "wrong" colour just because I like the particular outfit. However usually and for special occasions I take it into account.

Well worth it. I'm an autumn by the way!

neversaydie Sat 22-Aug-09 21:10:57

The real bonus for me was not just that it confirmed the colours that don't suit me - I had pretty much worked that out. But it also identified a couple of colours that suited me that I had never tried (purple for one) and extended my range.

I did it over 15 years ago, colours and styles, and I still use it when shopping, and it mostly saves a lot of time and hassle. Unfortunately, it does mean that in a bad season you can go into a shop you usually like, take one look round and stomp out again, as you KNOW that nothing in the shop will suit you!

Wafflesnaffler Sat 22-Aug-09 21:27:36

I've had it done and it is good. But as WhereTheWildThingsWere said, you can do it yourself. With a friend you will be able to see her face light up or go drab according to the colours, so that should help you be objective and see it happen in yourself too. The good thing is, it's not that you can't wear certain colours, it's the shade. Eg: I can wear cold reds but not warm ones, cold greens not warm ones etc.

AbricotsSecs Sun 23-Aug-09 02:18:04

Message withdrawn

Littledawley Mon 24-Aug-09 07:14:01

I think I may book it - House of Colour looks good and my local rep seems nice from her profile. Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now