Talk

Advanced search

Are coloured skinny jeans okay if you are older than 20?

(19 Posts)
tulpe Fri 21-Aug-09 16:39:11

Wandering around the shops this afternoon and have fallen in love with the idea of coloured skinny/straight leg jeans for this autumn. Seems to be some gorgeous shades of deep pink, plums etc. I am 38 years old and a size 8/10.

Will I look like mutton etc hmm ?

Tippytoes Fri 21-Aug-09 16:43:10

I have a pair of red ones - I am a size 12 and am 36. I think (hope) they are ok!

tulpe Fri 21-Aug-09 16:55:04

thanks Tippy Toes. I think they look fab but wouldd hate to wander into "middle aged frump trying to a rock a look and failing" territory!

Where did you get yours from?

Tippytoes Fri 21-Aug-09 17:24:40

I got mine from Next and it was Christmas 2007 that I had mine, don't think there were many of them about then, but they have them everywhere now don't they

stillfrazzled Fri 21-Aug-09 17:35:58

Oooh, where were the plum ones? They sound fab!

Am in early 30s and will join you in solidarity smile

tulpe Fri 21-Aug-09 17:39:45

offer of solidarity greatly appreciated Plum and deep pink in H & M for bargainous £14.99.

Clure Fri 21-Aug-09 17:42:02

I think if you have nice legs and bum it doesn't matter what age you are - if they suit you, wear them!

stillfrazzled Fri 21-Aug-09 17:43:30

Kidding? <makes mental note to sneak out tomorrow on spurious errand abandoning DH to DC>

lou33 Fri 21-Aug-09 18:50:07

plum sounds really nice

MaggieBeauLeo Fri 21-Aug-09 18:51:43

I think they are ok if you are thin. I'm your age and wouldn't wear them because I'm size 12 and five foot 2, and the whole effect might be a bit suasage like, but the same could be said for a 22 yr old of my build.

Ronaldinhio Fri 21-Aug-09 18:54:48

mutton, sorry

lou33 Fri 21-Aug-09 23:18:48

i agree with the pov that it is more about shape, size, attitude and not age

i dont subscribe the the train of thought that after a certain age there are things that should not be worn in public

unless it's a nappy of course

Wafflesnaffler Sat 22-Aug-09 21:39:58

Think it depends on what you wear them with. The mistake I often notice women (usually over 40 if not 50) make when trying to wear colour, is to match their plain top colour exactly (or worse, not quite exactly) to the bottom. Plain plum top to go with plum trousers etc. Today I saw a head-to-toe turquoise and a head-to-toe brown. I think it's down to lack of confidence maybe.

PitysSake Sat 22-Aug-09 21:41:50

i have purple form next two years ago
very nice

tulpe Sun 23-Aug-09 02:11:52

So, Wafflesnaffler, do you think if you wore coloured jeans with contrasting top that would make it better? eg plum trousers with black top? Agree that matchy-matchy clothing is rarely a good look (with the exception, I think, of beige/camel shades which can look fabulously expensive when worn together as long as fabrics/items are classic, in a "Tods" kind of way).

MiddleClassBitch Sun 23-Aug-09 02:13:35

No, no, no. Mutton/Lamb anyone?

PitysSake Sun 23-Aug-09 10:05:21

i dont see hwy blue jeans are ok and dark purple of green are not
vair odd

lou33 Sun 23-Aug-09 19:49:17

i agree

Wafflesnaffler Mon 24-Aug-09 18:50:27

Tulpe - totally agree about neutral shades, white, cream and even black!

I think the top would need to be patterned in some way, or if it was a block colour then some kind of grey/white/cream/neutral (or as you say, black, but that would be quite a wintery look). Can't think of an actual "colour" which would look good in a plain block with plum. I think grey might look really good with it for autumn.

I think it's the top (and shoes) which is the key to the jeans not looking muttony. I'm sure you'll look great in them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now