Talk

Advanced search

Tell me what to wear for wedding please

(25 Posts)
OrmIrian Wed 19-Aug-09 15:06:14

Yes I know it's pathetic and I need to grow a pair and sort it out for myself but still....I happen to know some of you love looking for clothes and I hate it, so....

I need a dress for an evening wedding party in October. ATM I have a black and white summery dress that I wore to DH's neice's wedding last summer. Not really suitable for the time of year and a bit OTT anyway for the occasion. I have my very favourite long-sleeved uniqlo sweater dress but it's not really dressy enough.

My picture is on my profile so if you look you will see that I am v tall, quite big and have shoulders like a shot-putter. I don't do frills or lace and I prefer quiet colours. Also bear in mind that I can't wear heels because of the state of my right foot so it has to be something I can wear with flat shoes sad Don't I sound lovely grin

Somebody please find me the right dress.

Oh and I can manage up to about £60 I guess so no links to silly prices please.

I thankyou.

scoutandjem Wed 19-Aug-09 15:14:02

I have a similar situation and DH told me to look on e bay. It was a little fiddly but once I inputted requirements - size, colour, type, price etc. it brought up loads of fantatic dresses - BNWT stands for brand new with tags wink

Good luck

ps i got a karen millen dress - black and red

EldonAve Wed 19-Aug-09 16:37:47

what size?
what colours do you prefer?
do you want long or short?
do you have bra issues or are you happy to go strapless or halter?

OrmIrian Wed 19-Aug-09 16:39:32

I am 12 but very tall - 5'11". I prefer either very long or above the knee. Colours - I prefer dark colours but not averse to the odd bit of red or blue. Need bra.

EldonAve Wed 19-Aug-09 18:02:25

Here are some random suggestions...

coast
too fancy?
also comes in blue
pink
b&w

OrmIrian Wed 19-Aug-09 18:18:23

Wow!Thanks Eldon. I love the coast one and the shape of the pink one but not sure I am brave enough for that colour!

EldonAve Wed 19-Aug-09 18:22:49

www.shopstyle.co.uk is very handy for browsing multiple shops - you can choose size, price etc

ErikaMaye Wed 19-Aug-09 18:30:48

Blank with detail - Topshop

Black and white - M&S

Black and white, long - M&S

Dark blue - Debenhams

cornsillk Wed 19-Aug-09 18:39:04

this was linked to on a style thread yesterday - I think it's lovely.

missmelly Wed 19-Aug-09 18:42:26

long tall sally

KristinaM Wed 19-Aug-09 18:50:09

sorry i have no useful suggestions...but as i am nosey i checked out your profile

i cant see any photo of soemone who is "quite big and [has] shoulders like a shot-putter"

you are very slim NOT big - size 12 is positively skinny for someone of your height. and you look toned/athletic - not "shoulders like a shot putter".

you have a better figure than many women 20 years younger who havent have kids. you need to feel better about youreself , really you do

ok lecture over grin

Clure Wed 19-Aug-09 20:32:40

dress 1
dress 2
dress 3
dress 4
dress 5

Lulubee Wed 19-Aug-09 21:55:57

I was just about to post exactly what KristinaM said, but she got there already. So yeah, what she said. grin

OrmIrian Thu 20-Aug-09 08:21:47

lula and kristina - thanks for those kind comments smile. I really wasn't fishing for compliments. I find my figure really hard to like and even harder to dress. I have model height but not a model figure hmm and more often than not I feel badly dressed when I wear something feminine. Which is why I need help.

Everyone - thanks for the suggestions. clure - I feel I need something on my arms but there are loads of good things on the Warehouse site. I shall have a good mooch.

coast has some lovely things

cornsilk - I love that dress but I don't think I'd have the guts to wear it!

erika - thanks for those. I liked the Debenhams dress. THe topshop one was a bit too scary for me!

missmelly - I have yet to find anything I really like in LtS. Which is a shame cos more often than not normal dresses have the waist in the wrong place for me hmm

Thanks everyone. I haven't had a chance to have a good look yet. Will do later today.

missmelly Thu 20-Aug-09 08:38:51

I find the same thing, especially in fitted dresses, they bag around the waist because it's too high and should be around the hips.

what about this one?

OrmIrian Thu 20-Aug-09 08:40:26

I did like that one miss! But didn't really want a maxi dress. But am considering it.

missmelly Thu 20-Aug-09 08:43:32

there is a nice ruffle dress on there, shame it's sold out in your size though

OrmIrian Thu 20-Aug-09 10:37:16

Hmmmm.... I think that I may have to leave this for a while. When I said I was size 12 that is because I was last time I bought anything. Have just put on a 14 skirt that I hadn't worn for a while and it fits...snugly hmm I suspect I don't look quite like that photo right now. So will leave buying anything until I've been able to run again for a few weeks.

Clure Thu 20-Aug-09 17:31:23

Orm I tried this on today It looked gorgeous on and has a bit of a sleeve. I didn't buy it as couldn't justify £65 with no occasion to wear it for!..... mmmm might have to sneak back to try it on again though!

OrmIrian Thu 20-Aug-09 20:26:19

I do like that clure!

Clure Thu 20-Aug-09 21:57:44

yes, I ummmed and arrrhed about trying it on but it looked so nice on, its silk so it hangs beautifully. It was just on my kneee (but am 5'1!) thinking seriously about going back to buy it, although I could wait to see if it in sales!

OrmIrian Fri 21-Aug-09 07:57:44

On your knee! I think it will be a pelmet on me! grin

Clure Fri 21-Aug-09 19:06:03

lol at pelmet grin

OrmIrian Fri 21-Aug-09 19:14:39

How about this sort of shape Not this particular dress maybe, not sure about the fabric, but is it a bit scary?]]

OrmIrian Mon 24-Aug-09 12:51:04

I like the look of it but wonder whether it will suit my shape

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now