Talk

Advanced search

Top shop BAXTERs compared to MARTHAs

(23 Posts)
BadgersArse Tue 18-Aug-09 17:25:58

do not want to look like na inverted skittle with big feet

are they very skinny

tulpe Tue 18-Aug-09 17:38:30

iirc, the Baxters are much tighter in the lower leg. Martha's far more flattering, imo (although annoyingly the last time I looked for indigo ones, they only had them with weird flap pockets on the bum hmm?? )

BadgersArse Tue 18-Aug-09 17:39:58

yes have flap things atm
so do the bazters make your feet look liuek big flippers?

Pollyanna Tue 18-Aug-09 17:49:36

I have both. Marthas are more flattering, but the baxters aren't really really skinny. (I am a size 12 and am over 35 and they look fine on me imo. )

MaggieBeauLeo Tue 18-Aug-09 17:49:48

I remember the first time round trying to get my feet out of the jeans when I was taking them off! wouldn't want to go through that again at my age. might fall over and break a hip! lol. well not quite, but I do remember the 80s!

Pollyanna Tue 18-Aug-09 17:50:22

baxters best with boots, but ok with sandals too.

noddyholder Tue 18-Aug-09 17:52:02

Well I had the marthas because they ar small of bum but eventually they started sliding down without a belt and so I sold at car boot for 2 quid Skinnies better.Zara do a semi skinny in the teen section and the biggest size is a perfect fit if you ar funny shape like me and you.Come in every colour too

Pollyanna Tue 18-Aug-09 18:24:20

yes, I wear a belt with my Marthas. They are my work jeans.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 18-Aug-09 18:27:26

I hate to say the word so will say it quietly (N E X T) but they do the best high street jeans imo. Their skinnies are far, far better than baxters, quite a bit cheaper as well.

I am very long waisted and baxters reveal my bum cleavage - Next ones slightly longer in the waist (but still hipsters iyswim)

BadgersArse Tue 18-Aug-09 18:34:46

funny shape?
YOu noddoid?!

BadgersArse Tue 18-Aug-09 18:35:29

i always like the next coloured skinnys they do in teh winter for like £20

have ordered both
yes my marthas need a belt too - the 12 start off tight then get lsoser

brokenspacebar Tue 18-Aug-09 18:45:58

I bought Martha jeans in a twelve and they are very big on the waist compared to my other size twelve topshop trousers (all petite), they are quite new, so yes have annoying flappy thing on the pockets... has anyone seen martha jeans in petite, I bought the 30 leg, but they are still a bit long on me, I usually buy TP petite, but my local shop only has pippa jeans in petite and they are so skinny.

I really love my new tp black trousers, they are quite high waisted, and very comfy.

noddyholder Wed 19-Aug-09 10:28:53

Not enough bum to hold them up securely without a belt! Gap Levis or zara best fit ime

brokenspacebar Wed 19-Aug-09 10:38:11

I think zara would be too long for me.... Gap too far away.

tulpe Wed 19-Aug-09 11:19:41

Zara has an alterations service (or at least our local one does). It cost me £6 to have some trousers taken up

Jewelsandgems Wed 19-Aug-09 13:30:12

Baxters are a great jean - I have the indigo and they really are excellent. Not too skinny, but skinny enough around the bum, hips, thighs, calfs. Look great with boots, mary jane shoes or sandals.

Don;t get the vintage baxter though, they have trendy near-holes on them but one wrong move with your toes, and they become just big gaping holes.

BadgersArse Wed 19-Aug-09 16:55:18

thansk all for advice

will report in later

GrapefruitMoon Wed 19-Aug-09 16:59:45

I also hate jeans that start off ok and then get loose. Only ones that fit me ok are Gap L&L but want to get something straighter for winter so will be awaiting your feedback!

BadgersArse Wed 19-Aug-09 17:08:21

ah grapey but i have some mathras already but are too short fo rheels ( 32) i need the 34 for heels

my faves of all time are the Gap straight i got a couple of eyars ago but are a bit tight on the old gut atm

the marthas are VERY flattering thigh wise btu yes do gape on day two.
bt worth it and good "going out " jeans as dont show your fat white stretchy mark back wink

but orangina said try the bazters so here i am

Bellebelle Thu 20-Aug-09 07:44:34

Same prob here with my Martha's - now need a belt. Considering buying size down to see if this solves the prob.

Gap now sell online through ASOS.

GrapefruitMoon Thu 20-Aug-09 08:35:31

And I even find Gap sizing has gone a bit strange since they went over to inches rather than sizing so they don't fit as well as they used to...

Clure Thu 20-Aug-09 22:06:00

hi, today I bought a pair of Martha's. I'm size 8 but the marthas were VERY tight. however once done up i was pleased with them. Having tried them on at home i'm concerned about flesh spillage over the snug waist-line - its minimal but will affect which tops I can wear. Do you reckon they may give a bit?!

PitysSake Sun 23-Aug-09 12:50:42

ok well teh 34 inch Marthas were nice but too long even with heels

the BAXTERs omg - you said they werent very tight
at one point i had to sit on the floor to PEEL them off me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now