Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Machine washable duffle coats - do they exist?

(21 Posts)
RamblingRosa Tue 18-Aug-09 08:30:19

I know it's a bit early to be thinking about coats but I've started noticing lots of coats in the shops which has made me start to think about what coat DD (22mo) will wear this winter. I'd really like to get her a duffle coat (preferably red) but the only ones I've seen (M&S and Boden) are dry clean only which seems a bit impractical for a toddler hmm
Any ideas?

castille Tue 18-Aug-09 08:45:32

My DD had one a long time ago which was washable because it was cotton velour rather than wool.

Wool doesn't tend to stand up to machine washing very well.

bubblagirl Tue 18-Aug-09 08:47:05

i'm selling a little red duffle coat 3-4 just checked would appear they would all be dry clean but im sure you may be able to do it on low wool wash but i personally would dry clean just in case

RamblingRosa Tue 18-Aug-09 08:49:07

Thanks. DD's on the small side so a size 3-4 would be too big. Need a 2-3 really.

Maybe I should just accept I'll have to get it dry cleaned (or let DD run around in a mucky coat!)

bubblagirl Tue 18-Aug-09 08:53:27

lol there pretty durable really you could easily wipe it down and then any real grime get it dry cleaned

SchnitzelVonKrumm Tue 18-Aug-09 11:21:54

JoJoMamanBebe used to do them. Gap often does fleece duffles in the winter.

MrsBadger Tue 18-Aug-09 11:37:40

yes but they will be fleece

the joy of wool coats is that they are showerproof and warm without the bulk. Agree spills come off wool better than you'd expect, and mud etc will brush off when dry.

red is a good compromise - don't get pink which will show every mark - but something with a pattern eg checked or tweedy is even better

Bettymum Tue 18-Aug-09 11:55:31

I was in Next yesterday and they had beautiful red duffle coats, will pop along at lunchtime and see if they can be machine washed.
Will report back...

tutu100 Tue 18-Aug-09 11:58:18

I have washed my wool duffle coats and they have come out fine. I wash them on my 40 delicate wash. They are 70% wool ones though so I don't know if that makes a difference.

They haven't lost shape though and still look good. 1 of them is about 10 year old so has been washed a fair few times.

RamblingRosa Tue 18-Aug-09 12:43:55

Ooh lots of brilliant tips thank you. I eagerly await news from Next and I'll check out JoJo Maman Bebe website.
Thanks

Tobermory Tue 18-Aug-09 12:46:26

I was admiring the duffels in Jojo only the other day but I need somethign that can be flung in the washing machine on a very regualar basis!

Bettymum Tue 18-Aug-09 13:34:27

I'm back
Well the coats are wool/viscose (sorry, can't remember the percentages but I think it was 60/40 one way or the other) and DRY CLEAN ONLY! Sorry. Also the smallest size is 3-4 years. So I guess they're no good for you.

RamblingRosa Tue 18-Aug-09 13:52:46

Thanks anyway Bettymum. V sweet of you to report back. I think I might go for it and get this one and just accept that she'll be a bit grubby grin

Bettymum Tue 18-Aug-09 14:42:01

Oh, that's nice! I have already bought my DD a winter coat from the Monsoon sale or I'd be very tempted to run out and buy that one.

MrsBadger Tue 18-Aug-09 14:51:30

that is nice

this one will show the dirt less but is shorter

StealthBearWipesBumOnDailyMail Tue 18-Aug-09 14:57:08

DS has a couple, one from Ladybird (woolworths) and one from Tesco, both age 2-3 (not red though, sorry). Both go in the wash (and have done lots) no problem. Both seem to be proper duffle coats as far as I can tell!

StealthBearWipesBumOnDailyMail Tue 18-Aug-09 14:57:31

obviously woolworths has shut but are they selling clothes online now?

Bettymum Tue 18-Aug-09 15:00:52

Yes I think so, SBWBODM.
I also nipped into H&M, they had the most fabulous fake fur leopard print coats in there. Soooooooooooooooo tempted to get one for DD! grin

RamblingRosa Wed 19-Aug-09 08:43:02

Thanks. DD had a duffle coat from Woolies when she was 6mo or so and it was very nice. About £6 in the sale. I'll see if I can find their stuff online.

muddleduck Wed 19-Aug-09 08:52:46

My ds's both wore a fab duffle coat from Gap. It was dry clean only but I washed it a couple of times on the wool cycle and it was fine. To be honest even with 2 really mucky boys I didn't need to do it that often as the mud etc just brushes off once it is dry. In contrast DS1's current coat which is fabric and is washable needs washing all the time.

TheWolfHasNoCommentForTheDM Wed 19-Aug-09 10:49:14

DD had one last year from Mothercare that went in the washing machine.

Very tempted by the red M&S duffle now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now