(29 Posts)
brimfull Mon 17-Aug-09 22:51:06

atm I have 3 framed prints from ikea

am sick of them

need something fairly large

but not a triptyche thing please

help

FritesMenthe Mon 17-Aug-09 22:53:27

Enormous world map from Ikea (£115 though)

get your DC or some other more artistically gifted children (do it yourself then claim it was DC, thats what I did) and paint a murial

brimfull Mon 17-Aug-09 22:55:59

yes have thought of that

we already have one upstairs though

shock at £115

KnickKnack Mon 17-Aug-09 22:56:37

The map is pretty cool, but really bad quality close up and definitely not worth the money (a friend has looked at it several times but always comes away with the same opinion)

brimfull Mon 17-Aug-09 22:56:58

has to cover a redundant light switch

but interesting idea

by this I am implieing that my painting ability of said muriel looked like a two year old had done it hmm

brimfull Mon 17-Aug-09 22:58:35

muriel is good

could incorporate the switch lol

or a stencil montage in a painted frame??

remove said switch and fill / sand / paint wall

brimfull Mon 17-Aug-09 23:04:23

oh yeh

doh!

FritesMenthe Mon 17-Aug-09 23:06:02

think you're right about the ikea map KK, but I like the idea of a map.

you could paint a map?

OllieWollieWoo Tue 18-Aug-09 07:40:21

Have you thought about the ole covering a canvas with some material trick???? I've done it with some dinosaur material for DS2 bedroom using a couple of largish canvases and it looks quite good. Ikea always has some stylish material imo?
Also - ages ago I once framed some nice wrapping paper which looked more like a poster which I luved and a friend has framed some liberty style print material in a chunky dark wood ikea frame which looks v cool. Would need to make sure it doesnt look too twee tho????

brimfull Tue 18-Aug-09 10:15:50

ollie-fab idea,ikea do the stretcher frames.

Right a trip to ikea then

thanks

chimchar Tue 18-Aug-09 10:19:30

lovely kids map of the world here...only £18 too!

www.gltc.co.uk/fcp/product/-/bestsellers_room_accessories/Giant-Maps/937?colour=World&imgcolour=WOR

chimchar Tue 18-Aug-09 10:20:51

someone on here AGESSSSSS ago put a lovely link to a poster company...i spent hours trawling it...but i can't remember what it was called.

tk maxx sometimes have great prints and vintage sign type things.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 18-Aug-09 10:23:22

I have an enormous "Keep Calm and Carry On" wartime type poster on my wall. If find it very soothing.

and I've rather sadly bought matching mugs blush

CybilLiberty Tue 18-Aug-09 10:31:23

Ikea now sell frame stretchers where you can put any fabric you want over them and make them into a canvas. A load of them on the wall instead of one big picture could look good.

CybilLiberty Tue 18-Aug-09 10:32:20

Doh just seen someones earlier post

<slaps forehead>

CybilLiberty Tue 18-Aug-09 10:33:44

to make up for my stupidity they have some cool prints on here

brimfull Tue 18-Aug-09 10:53:29

cybil-great site !

your stupidity is forgiven smile

CybilLiberty Tue 18-Aug-09 11:11:19

you could always do a Kirstie arf

AussieSim Tue 18-Aug-09 11:19:29

I am loving www.art.com at the moment and they have a 'cuisine' category with plenty of great 'kitchen' appropriate prints and the prices are very reasonable.

missmelly Tue 18-Aug-09 11:19:56

I've just bought the 'keep calm and carry on' poster too.. havent put it up anywhere yet though.. it's about £6 on ebay

OllieWollieWoo Tue 18-Aug-09 11:53:34

That Pop Art site is fab - think a book cover poster would make a lovely present - esp if it was their favourite book! Think I am going to hunt down a keep calm poster Miss Melly and LaurieFairyCake - tho have also seen one once that said 'Keep calm and have a cupcake'!

Let us knwo what you end up with ggirl!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now