Talk

Advanced search

Non-frumpy clothes for breastfeeding

(12 Posts)
JimmyMcNulty Sun 16-Aug-09 16:16:15

I'm after some recommendations, especially websites or links to specific clothes.

I have a few vest/top combos where I can pull the vest down and the top up, and a couple of 'proper' breastfeeding tops, but would really like some clothes that make me feel a bit more groomed and stylish and not like I've been up all night feeding my 2-week-old so have thrown on the closest workable things to hand...

Not after really posh clothes for evenings out (as if!), just everyday things to make me feel like a slightly yummier mummy - have moved to a new nicer area and can see that I am now at the scummier end at toddler groups grin. Can be clothes designed for breastfeeding or just anything that makes discreet feeding easy. I don't like the bfing tops that are obviously bfing tops (have one that has a line of poppers across the front that manages to be frumpy, obvious, yet hugely awkward and inaccessible for
feeding). Stuff that is long enough to cover post-baby belly would be good too.

TIA

I know you asked for websites but haven't really got anything specific.

I too am breast feeding and was fed up of looking like a tip. I also have a large gap between DS1 and DS2 so a lot of the mums at toddler groups are a decade younger than me and quite trendy. My verdict was - could try harder.

I have taken to wearing long tunics / shirts and leggings / jeggings or skinny jeans. The tunics hide a multitude of sins and there is enough fabric so I don't get a bare back when feeding and enough to drape over norkage.

I've started to feel a bit more 'with it' and in fact have had lots of compliments about my appearance!

I thought I'd be too big/ short for this style but I've found it quite flattering. I'm 5' 2" and size 14 but have nice skinny ankles!

There are loads of tunics/ long shirts in most of the shops. H&M have some nice ones and dare I say it primark. If you feel like splashing out there are some in Boden (I just can't justify spending £££ on a garment that's going to end up covered in vomit though) Boden patterns cover milk leakage / vomit quite well though grin

HTH

domesticslattern Sun 16-Aug-09 19:59:29

Normal tops which you can hitch up. With bump band underneath to cover acres of wrinkly tummy. Ta dah!

PrincessToadstool Sun 16-Aug-09 20:03:52

I really liked Mamaway, they are not super cheap but I found them good quality. Good service too, when I ordered a tunic/dress thing it said delivery in 7 days and I emailed and asked if it could be quicker as I had a new group to go and everything was I owned was sick-stained or horrid, anyway they were lovely and sent it out straight away.

PrincessToadstool Sun 16-Aug-09 20:06:38

Oh fuck I am so sorry for my grammar in that post. I edited it twice and the result is a garbled mess. You get the idea, perhaps!

mathanxiety Mon 17-Aug-09 05:27:55

Any long floaty hippie style top with a pattern looks good imo. I started out with purpose-built 'nursing' tops and found they were all frumpy and useless so I adopted civilian clothes instead, but in a larger size so they could fit my huge boobs and not look all stretched out from lifting them up for access to the boobs for the DCs. I found that the regular clothes were much better for public bfing too, more discreet. With those flappy things I just ended up flashing too many gawkers. And I felt more like a human being in something a bit fashionable. Plus they were far cheaper.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 17-Aug-09 07:28:33

I just used to wear normal clothes, but chose things with buttons. I have a lot of henley-style tops that have been my staple for summer - Boden have some nice ones.
Once we get into autumn then either a vest with cardi, or a wrap dress make for easy feeding.
There is no need to buy specific BF things IMO, they are very expensive and often look incredibly mumsy.

JimmyMcNulty Mon 17-Aug-09 20:11:44

Thanks for all the ideas - I do agree most bfing tops look naff. I guess layers are the way to go to avoid showing much flesh; I think I really need some more stretchy low-cut vest tops, then I can wear most anything over them.

Montifer Mon 17-Aug-09 22:45:47

I found some good stuff at H and M.
Also found the vest under whatever top you are wearing to cover flabby tum very helpful

EachPeachPearMum Mon 17-Aug-09 23:54:00

I have 2 mamaway items- a tunic/dress and a top- they are both great! (sizing is a little small though, as they are a far east company and oriental ladies are quite petite. I am 10/12 and take their medium)

louii Mon 17-Aug-09 23:57:03

Belly band under any top covers all flesh on show up to the boob.

monkeysmama Tue 18-Aug-09 07:58:31

I wear vests under everything (I've found Peacocks of all places do the best ones in packs of 3 on every colour under the sun) & pull my over-top up & vest down. The vests in the shops at the moment with a tighter vest attached to a baggier vest on the top in same or contrasting colour are great for coverage & can be made a bit smarter with a good necklace etc. I've been bfing dd for 15 months so have been through all seasons & would recommend vests in winter & a bump band too even (tho mine felt horrible & baggy). I have a vivid memory of feeding dd in a freezing forest at a baby nature group the day after it snowed in London. Layers are the way to go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now