Talk

Advanced search

good quality clothes which last

(30 Posts)
ihatethecold Sun 16-Aug-09 13:00:33

i am really fed up of buying what i believe to be decent high st clothes, e.g white stuff, warehouse, oasis, wallis etc to find they dont last more than a month looking nice, they either develop small holes or loose their shape, mostly tops im talking about here,. i cant afford to spend loads on clothes but decided to gok things up and buy less but better quality, where do you ladies recommend??
thanks

ihatethecold Mon 17-Aug-09 07:44:51

anyone??

Warehouse and Oasis shocking quality imo, and gap is just unbelievable tat, White suff I have very little but it has been ok, never shopped at Wallis.

Personally I have just started re-vamping my bwardrobe and have finally sucummed to ladies Boden after years of buying Mini-Boden for the kids.

I think it is good quality and like the fact that you have 3 months to return, so if it does bobble, shrink, not wash or wear well, then back it goes, this is something not offered on the high street and I think it's great.

Oumasrusks Mon 17-Aug-09 10:41:40

I also recommend Boden. The stuff I have bought seems better quaility than most high street stores these days.

MrsBadger Mon 17-Aug-09 10:54:11

Warehouse, Oasis and Wallis all poor quality IME
better to pay less in Primark and Topshop but know it'll go for dusters eventually
I actually like Gap as they tend to tumble dry well but only buy in sales.

wash cooler and with less detergent
and check if it's your belt buckle making holes in tops

and buy more shirts / blouses - they last much better than jersey tops.

paddingtonbear1 Mon 17-Aug-09 11:22:28

next used to be good quality but doesn't tend to be so good now. I find White Stuff OK, and Fat Face also normally keeps its shape. I don't have a tumble dryer atm though!

slug Mon 17-Aug-09 11:29:34

I buy long sleeved TShirts from Uniqulo. They are fabulous quality for the price, retain their shape and look good even after a couple of years.

MrsBadger Mon 17-Aug-09 11:49:04

yy Uniqlo

their merino jumpers are good too, but do need handwashing

ihatethecold Mon 17-Aug-09 11:51:42

i dont have a uniglo in cambridge. and im not wearing shirts, fat face gets baggy quickly, and waht can i do about my belt buckle ruining my tops. i have to wear a belt with jeans otherwise it aint pretty smile

MrsBadger Mon 17-Aug-09 11:57:28

get a different style belt - flat buckle with no prong

or some jeans that fit

uniqlo do mail order

purplepeony Mon 17-Aug-09 12:00:05

I don't have a problem with quality at all. Are you washing your clothes carefully enough?

e.g I always use a quick wash at 40C for some things, but more delicate tops etc get either hand washed or go onto a wool/silk/delicates wash at 30C with a much shorter spin.
Holes can also be caused by your washing machine and by over loading the machine. My machine also has a handwash option. I'd never put my T shirts or tops in the main cloured wash with all the towels and undies etc.

I don't think you can really work out what is quality and what isn't- some T shirts go baggy and twisted very quickly, others don't.

ihatethecold Mon 17-Aug-09 12:15:53

i always do a 40 c wash with non bio liquid but i do shove it in with things of the same colour. can this cause damage?. i always do a short wash aswell and dont tumble dry

purplepeony Mon 17-Aug-09 12:23:44

I have inadvertently "ruined" a few cardis etc- Boden included- by washing on a normal 40C wash even though the label says it's fine. They tend to come out very creased and a bit bobbly. I now do all my own tops on a separate wash on a very gentle cycle.

cocolepew Mon 17-Aug-09 12:23:53

M&S I've have shirts for years and they are still like new.

next and dotty Ps imo.
I also find asda last forever

HarryB Mon 17-Aug-09 12:26:33

NEXT. Not the most stylish place in the world, but it does have some gems now and again. It bloody lasts for years though.

cocolepew Mon 17-Aug-09 12:26:44

Asda v good, better than Tesco.

ihatethecold Mon 17-Aug-09 12:55:03

so are you people telling me that the cheaper clothes on the high st last better than the more pricey ones..

yep grin

MrsBadger Mon 17-Aug-09 13:42:15

possibyl because you expect less from them

if a £3 Primark tshirt is out of shape within a month I am not too cross

if a £20 one is, then I am

ihatethecold Mon 17-Aug-09 16:54:13

but i dont want to buy clothes made by kids.

MrsBadger Mon 17-Aug-09 19:48:37

Oasis, Warehouse etc are all sweatshoppy

buy online from somewhere ethical

Adili have nice things

CybilLiberty Mon 17-Aug-09 19:50:38

Uniqlo stuff wears and wears. I have a black jersey Grecian style dress (ponce) from there last year and it looks as good as new.

Heated Mon 17-Aug-09 20:06:50

I try to wash clothes carefully which makes a difference to their longevity.
- use powder with a built in softener (not liquid as it gums up the machine and no additional clothes softener as both seem to take the shine of some fabrics)
- put delicate items in a knotted pillowcase & turn clothes inside out
- have a whites, reds, green/blues and blacks wash
- wash at 40, only towels and bedding at higher temp
- stained dc's items sprayed with Shout

TheWorstWitch Mon 17-Aug-09 20:38:20

I always think that ironing prolongs the longevity of clothes, as well as washing at low temps with less powder and short spins and no tumble dries.

The clothes which I find have lasted the longest for me are the expensive designer ones, Agnes B, Donna Karan, Armani. I have a fuschia dress from Harrods which was handed down to me by my Aunt, who bought it 30 years ago, and it still looks brand new!

Have started buying a few things from Boden and these seem very good quality.
Gap are OKAY
Everything else just falls apart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now