Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

New York in October... what do I take/wear?

(24 Posts)
geordieminx Sun 16-Aug-09 09:32:26

Its our honeymoon, I want to look cool nice, but comfortable. Keep looking at weather websites which say anything between 10deg (freezing) and 20deg (sub-tropical for a geordie residing in Glasgow) plus I hate being too hot because of a million layers.

I need to pack light, and use "key pieces" hmm, and although we will be doing some shopping over there, we are only there for 4 days so need to take enough stuff to last?

Any thoughts would be appreciated....

geordieminx Sun 16-Aug-09 12:01:40

bump sad

ADifferentMe Sun 16-Aug-09 13:27:55

Bump for you - interested to know cos DD going then as well. Her teacher said it snowed last time they were there in October.

geordieminx Sun 16-Aug-09 13:55:37

Noooooooo I was thinking skinny jeans flats, vest and cardi type thing.... shock

esselle Sun 16-Aug-09 14:13:43

An empty suitcase, comfy shoes and a credit card!!!grin

Jeans and flats are a great start and just wear layers. Make sure you are comfortable.

ruffletheanimal Sun 16-Aug-09 14:19:26

hmm, how topical, I will (hopefully) be there then-ish too so i will wait for someone knowledgable to come along.

geordieminx Sun 16-Aug-09 14:21:02

I dont want to turn up with nothing though, as its our honeymoon I dont want to have to shop just for clothes to wear while I'm out there IYKWIM?

esselle Sun 16-Aug-09 14:35:46

I was there in February, it had snowed the week before we arrived and there was mountains of snow piled up everywhere.

I just wore jeans, boots or trainers, vest, tshirt, cardigan, coat,(actually a hat and scarf really keep you warm and can be stashed in your handbag when you aren't wearing them) - type of thing.

It was very crisp clear weather and nice outside. Inside everywhere was very well heated.

geordieminx Sun 16-Aug-09 14:37:34

Thats what I was thinking - we arent going to be spending much time standing about, so I dont really want to take a huge coat, as it'll be a pain to carry

cariboo Sun 16-Aug-09 14:45:25

snap esselle!

also, thinking honeymoon = no (or few) clothes?grin

geordieminx Sun 16-Aug-09 14:52:03

Bugger off! I've waited 7 years to go back to New York, I shall not be spending it nekkid! grin

cariboo Sun 16-Aug-09 14:54:53

pmslgrin sorry - just jealous

cariboo Sun 16-Aug-09 15:00:00

Go with an empty suitcase. Wear most elegant & travel-friendly "core pieces" you have, invest in a pashmina (looks good with almost anything + useful for warmth if needed + easy to fold & store). Head for 5th Ave on arrival. Go mad with consumer lust!

GreenPeas Sun 16-Aug-09 15:05:29

We were there in October a few years ago and it was in the 80s... Probably not helpful after the snow comments?

Reckon layers are the way to go?

ADifferentMe Sun 16-Aug-09 17:31:03

Looks like it might be a case of waiting till the day before you go and checking the forecast!

littlemissbossy Sun 16-Aug-09 17:39:14

I was in NY last October and the weather was lovely, jeans/light trousers and short sleeve weather. I have been in October twice before and the weather was good although not as warm as last year. You really do need to check just before you go.

geordieminx Sun 16-Aug-09 18:08:32

Its early oct we go so hopefully it should be ok. Will plan around jeans/vests/cardi's with a light jacket and if it snows then i'll look like an idiot I'll just buy a big coat

justineandcarrieneedanewlawyer Sun 16-Aug-09 18:12:56

In september it is usually still sunny and dry but cooler than the summer months. By October there may be a bit of a chill, enough to turn the leaves lovely colours and enough to warrant a warmish coat and maybe a hat.

I love New York in October!

Of course this is a massive generalisation and I suggest you check the weather forecast nearer the time.

justineandcarrieneedanewlawyer Sun 16-Aug-09 18:13:58

i miss 'seasons' sad

geordieminx Sun 16-Aug-09 19:14:19

Geordies dont feel the cold. Its fact. grin

AnyFucker Sun 16-Aug-09 19:18:18

geordies are tough

they go out for the evening in December wearing just a mini-skirt, boobtube and white stilettoes don't they ?

< runs >

geordieminx Sun 16-Aug-09 20:16:10

Yup - I remember in my youth queuing to get into a club right on the river, for over an hour, in decemeber in a strapless dress without any underwear

Those were the days....wink

mimsum Sun 16-Aug-09 22:04:56

we lived in New York a while back - arrived in mid-September and most of our summer clothes were in storage while we looked for somewhere to live. Early October was absolutely sweltering - really hot and sticky and I longed for all the t-shirts/floaty dresses etc which were locked up in a container somewhere! However by November it was freezing - autumn seemed to be very short ...

have fun

mathanxiety Mon 17-Aug-09 05:19:42

It really does depend on what part of October you'll be there. They also sometimes get the tail end of hurricanes (v wet, not really windy). Probably no need for a big coat of any kind unless snow is in the forecast, just bring things you can layer. And you can shop, ya know. Shoes -- go for good-looking comfort that might be useful for keeping rain out. Check the weather right before packing. If you hate to pack at the last minute, check the weather for Chicago because U.S. weather moves from west to east, but this is only good if there's no Atlantic hurricane heading for New England. Chicago weather arrives in NY in about two days, sometimes a watered down version.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: