Talk

Advanced search

Make-up. I need serious help.

(36 Posts)
thatsnotmybelly Thu 13-Aug-09 12:30:29

I went out last night for the first time in several millenia. For those of you who can't remember, that's when you put on nice clothes and impractical shoes and you spend time with people who don't want you to wipe their bottom or read Dig Dig Digging. Also there is alcohol.

I decided to wear something called 'make-up' which is like magic crayons for making your face less haggard.

Rummaged around under the sink and finally found my make-up box. It contained...

1 X green pearl eyeshadow.
1 X black mascara.
1 X Clarins Beauty Flash Balm (score!)
1 X bottle of elderly perfume.
1 X green eye-liner pencil (blunt)
1 X lip liner pencil (blunt)
0 X pencil sharpener.

I borrowed a My Little Lipgloss from dd (aged 3). It tasted of bubblegum.

Soooooo.... what should I buy? Has makeup changed much since I last bought some? People still use arsnic face whitening powder, right?

What are my options?

HeliumBee Fri 14-Aug-09 09:25:55

I like Benefit - or clinique - go into town and ask them. They'll try and sell you the lot - so get a couple of free makeup trials done - say you'll go back once you've tested and worn it (in case you are allergic) and then decide.

thatsnotmybelly Fri 14-Aug-09 15:56:53

I'd be like a rabbit in the headlights at a beauty counter getting the hard sell.

cornsillk Fri 14-Aug-09 16:00:10

chanel vitalumiere foundation
precriptive magic liquid powder
laura mercier tinted mosituriser
hypnose
pencil sharpener

randomtask Fri 14-Aug-09 16:12:02

Depends on what sort of look you want. Clinique are excellent for 'natural' style make up so I tend to buy their brown eyeliners, plus their blusher and foundation.

Mac are the best (by far) if you want 'colour' as they have higher pigments in their eyeshadows/eyeliners. They do an eyeliner called powerpoint that didn't come off when I spent the day chasing after 11 7-11 year olds so if you want bold, I'd advise them.

Most do 'the hard sell' but if you explain you're unsure, they'll do a subtle look and then work it up if you want more.

Personally I'd buy (in which ever colour you choose):

Good mascara (Maxfactor do great ones and cheaply)

A 'neutral' eyeliner then a colour

1 natural eyeshadow and 2 colours

Foundation

Concelor

Blusher (not to dark as you can add more if you want more colour) that is cheap as they're pretty much the same whoever you buy from.

Lipstick - once again, one natural, one not so.

Good luck!

cornsillk Fri 14-Aug-09 16:15:02

If you can wait a few weeks elizabeth arden and lancome usually do a brilliant box full of make up and brushes before xmas which is usually about £30 with 2 purchases.

thatsnotmybelly Fri 14-Aug-09 16:24:32

Cornsilk, what is the difference between foundation, liquid powder and tinted moisturiser? What is liquid powder? What's Hypnose?

Random, thank you. Cheap blusher. Right. And other stuff... will look at Clinique.

randomtask Fri 14-Aug-09 16:29:56

I bought my wedding 'basic' make up from Clinique and the colours from Mac-both lasted during a stressful day!

Beware of some 'powder' foundations as they often end up making your skin look blotchy (unless you're sickeningly lucky enough to have perfect skin already). Tinted moisturiser is lighter than normal foundation. Depends on how much coverage you need. Make up counter ladies can advise you.

Celery Fri 14-Aug-09 16:38:09

What sort of budget have you got? Make-up varies a lot in price.

nappyaddict Fri 14-Aug-09 16:58:42

YSL mascara
Clinique or Chanel foundation
No 7 stay perfect lipstick
Giorgi Armani sheer cream blush
Bobbi Brown long wear gel eyeliner

Bloempje Fri 14-Aug-09 17:03:59

try ElF make-up, cheap but very good and an extensive choice of make-up etc.

see www.eyeslipsface.co.uk

CybilLiberty Fri 14-Aug-09 17:07:31

Throw away all those manky bits you found at the bottom of your drawer.

I reckon all; one needs is

tinted moisturiser/foundation/mineral foundation whatever floats your boat

decent concealer

simple eyeshadow, a neutral colour like a taupey brown (and a half decent brush to apply it with)

a couple of eyeliner pencils plus sharpener

mascara, black (Avon so a great one that really builds up lashes)

A couple of lip glosses, one clear and one coloured

Oh! and most important, a rosy blusher, either in stick form (no 7 do a good one) or powder.

CybilLiberty Fri 14-Aug-09 17:08:29

If you watch QVC when they are flogging make up they alway do demonstrations of what is around and how to apply. Laura Geller make up always looks good.

nappyaddict Fri 14-Aug-09 17:08:36

Revlon colourstay eyeliner is also good.

thatsnotmybelly Fri 14-Aug-09 17:37:23

Can anyone recommend a decent concealer?

randomtask Fri 14-Aug-09 21:13:35

Mac. It comes in a pot so you dab it on but it doesn't move and seems to cover my 'blemishes' on really bad days!

watsthestory Fri 14-Aug-09 21:15:27

Message withdrawn

watsthestory Fri 14-Aug-09 21:21:10

Message withdrawn

Celery Sat 15-Aug-09 09:51:41

A few key pieces is all you need. I splashed out and got some more expensive stuff for the first time, and I have to say, I think it's worth it, but once that's run out, I shall have to think more economically. I really rate the virgin vie range, not too expensive and very good. At the moment I'm using

Creme de la mer tinted moisturiser - this is a one off, at nearly £60 a tube, but it's marvellous. Laura Mercier or Virgin Vie tinted moisturisers also good though

Benefit Big Beautiful eyes kit, for shadow and eyeliner. Comes with instructions, really good!

Chantecaille, le stylo eyeliner pen.

Chantecaille lip gloss.

Chantecaille mascara.

LOVE Chantecaille. Don't lie the foundations much, but the above three are the best I've ever tried. Expensive, but so good.

I also have Virgin Vie illuminating face powder, to brush over the tinted moisturiser. Very nice.

TheDMHatesMe Sat 15-Aug-09 12:45:07

V. funny OP.

I like MAC foundation and lipstick.

I reckon you can get away with a cheap mascara.

Boots no. 7 do a nice highlighter which you can daub on your face to give you a peachy glow.

Blusher or cheek tint is also good for this - Collection 2000 do a cheap cheek tint which is supposed to be good.

I like those Bourgeois eye shadows that you just sweep on with a little brush - nice colours and very easy to put on.

kormachameleon Sat 15-Aug-09 13:02:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hamptongirl Sat 15-Aug-09 15:44:23

Message withdrawn

watsthestory Sat 15-Aug-09 19:36:50

Message withdrawn

nappyaddict Sun 16-Aug-09 03:08:11

ooh what brand i missed it?

CybilLiberty Sun 16-Aug-09 09:07:18

I have used most brands of concealer in efforts to find the best one. My best one so far is Benefit Boi-oing, whihc is in a few shades and lasts all day without creasing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now