Talk

Advanced search

Struggling with lip make up

(17 Posts)
div22c Thu 13-Aug-09 09:59:40

In preparation for going back to work soon, I have recently started wearing lipstick (hardly ever worn before). But a kindly friend told me to stop, as she thought it made me look worse. I guess my problems are multifold: inexpert application, bad choice of colours, dry chapped lips (despite using vaseline every night) and uneven natural skin tone. Maybe I should just use a tinted lip balm, and apply that with a finger? Or is that a recipe for bleeding colour all around my lips? Would appreciate any suggestions for simple easy to use methods and brands. Want a professional look as will be working in Canary Wharf.

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 13-Aug-09 10:07:11

TBH I think lipstick is pretty unnecessary if you are wearing other make up. I think it is far more important to make sure that you have a good base, cheek colour, mascara and eyebrow definition as a complete basic, everything else is optional.

I wear a full face of make up, but never wear lipstick as it wears off unevenly, and long lasting lipsticks are very drying and don't look attractive imo. I wear Juicy Tubes (or the equivalent) instead, far better imo and easy to reapply without a mirror as they are sheer and don't look tooo 'done'.

I also get chapped lips very easily, and always carry a tuby of Carmex with me, that is by far the best lip balm available for dry and chapped lips, is only a couple of quid and is available everywhere, really recommend it.

CMOTdibbler Thu 13-Aug-09 10:16:02

A good lip gloss looks much more polished than lipstick, and is easier to do too.

If you will be working at Canary Wharf, you prob need to wear a base on your face - either a tinted moisturiser or a mineral foundation if you don't wear much makeup. MAC is a great brand, and their staff are very helpful. If you go along to their counter when it isn't busy (in the week is good) and ask for some help they will find the right shades and products for you.

For lips, I love their Lipglass - some lovely neutral shades and it's very moisturising.

I also love the tinted Elizabeth Arden Eight hour lip gloss

div22c Thu 13-Aug-09 14:30:55

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I should have mentioned that I have never worn any make up at all, but age is now telling. Do get my eyebrows done regularly. Was planning to start small - just a foundation (No7) and lippy. Dont want to go to work looking like the little girl who played with mummy's make up! Once I feel I have got the hang of these, maybe graduate to mascara. Cheek tints not so sure about. Do keep the suggestions rolling in though!

missmelly Thu 13-Aug-09 17:08:39

how old are you?
I'd suggest even a lip tint then you can just apply vaseline/carmex over the top to keep your lips moisturised. I think lipstick is fairly dated anyway. A shiny gloss might look a bit young depending on your age.

Also mascara doesnt take much work but really makes a difference

div22c Thu 13-Aug-09 17:23:11

I'm 37, cant be classified as young any longer :-( So for a newbie like me, it would be a base, lippy and mascara. Will def pick up a pot of Carmex. Would be great if you could pls suggest brands as well. MAC/ E Arden seem good options (though quite expensive I am sure), I was thinking on more economic lines - No7 for instance. Is that a bad idea?

div22c Thu 13-Aug-09 17:32:39

Btw, I live in Woking, just had a look online but cant seem to find a MAC counter here. Going up to London tomorrow, any suggestions where I could find a MAC counter? Am going to Upper Grosvenor Street but dont mind jumping on the tube network for a bit.

UndomesticHousewife Thu 13-Aug-09 17:50:14

If you've never worn make up I assume you don't actually need it! In which case try a tinted moisturiser rather than foundation as it won't look as heavy. Or mix your foundation with a bit of your own moisturiser.

I'm sure I read somewhere that vaseline isn't the best thing for chapped lips as the lips get used to it and if you don't continue to use it your lips will then become chapped, as it's water based so they (some beauty editor in some magazine) recommended using blistex as it's not water based. Or something like that.

I have Carmex though and it's very good.

No 7 do a sheer lipstick that comes in a tube adn adds just a bit of colour and is shiny too it's very good though it's around £9, so not the cheapest.

div22c Thu 13-Aug-09 18:44:51

I actually DID not need make up till a few years ago but now age is definitely telling :-( Tinted moisturiser sounds good, again No7 or some other brand? Alot of suggestions for a sheer lippy or gloss, the problem is that my natural lip colour is not even. A sheer lippy seems to draw even more attention to this flaw - am guessing I need some sort of base/primer to even the colour out before putting on gloss/lippy?

missmelly Thu 13-Aug-09 19:13:42

if you're going into london you could go to one of the department stores (like Selfridges, my happy place!) and go to a makeup counter like Bobbi Brown or Mac. Bobbi Brown makeup is natural looking and im sure they'd be able to give you some tips on what you can do. I dont think it's the cheapest of options though. Or you could ask their advice, then buy similar products at Boots

I'd go for a gloss with a hint of colour to it, MAC has a massive range of these. Def get yourself to a department store and try a couple on.

Also, if you want to try something, but not splash out too much, I buy products from Collection 2000 at Superdrug. Their stuff is cheap and cheeful. For eg this cheek and lip tint I've also used their plastique lip gloss and its good.

UndomesticHousewife Fri 14-Aug-09 10:43:39

Benefit do something called Lip Plump (I'm sure it's called this), it's a lip base/primer that will even out the colour of your lips before putting lippy on.

I'm sure there are others like it but I don't know of them except Benefit.

UndomesticHousewife Fri 14-Aug-09 10:50:37

Though tbh, I would leave the lipstick if your lips are a bit of a problem and play up your eyes.
Go to one of the big counters and get them to show you how to put a bit of eyeshadow and liner on, then you can just leave your lips except maybe some sparkly clear gloss.

And practise doing your make up, we all have had to start from somewhere though in my case I think I was 14 blush

div22c Sat 15-Aug-09 14:37:39

Went to Selfridges yesterday, picked up a tinted moisturiser at the Estee Lauder counter. So that's step 1 done.
Benefit lip plump sounds the trick I have been looking for, will def get that.
So what would the order be - moisturiser on the face, then lip plump, followed by lip pencil, then lip colour, and finally mascara?
Not at all confident of applying make up to eyes or cheeks - they seem to be the ones that need the most skill, and make you look really bad if you dont get it right.
Sighhh, yes I realise I need to learn and practice. Thanks for all the suggestions, keep'em coming!

hamptongirl Sat 15-Aug-09 15:01:56

Message withdrawn

div22c Sat 15-Aug-09 15:26:26

Hi hamptongirl, for some reason I seem unable to send you a message. Could you please try and send me one? Thanks

missmelly Sat 15-Aug-09 15:33:31

for cheeks, I have a product I love, it's not the cheapest but I'm sure there are alternatives, it's a Ruby and Millie face gloss here. You literally just smudge it on your cheekbones and rub it in a little. I have it in colour 'wine' and it looks very natural (on me, not sure of your colouring)

If you use lip pencil, make sure you colour in your lips with it as well. Nothing worse than the top layer wearing off and leaving a ring of lip pencil around your mouth!

If you arent confident to do eyes, a natural/beige eyeshadow just to even our your eyelid would be ok.

I'd suggest looking at brands Bourgois, Revlon and collection 2000 for cheaper products. Also I really like Loreal mascaras, or of course there is the Maybelline great lash which is a very well known and popular cheaper mascara

good luck, just practise and you'll be fine

hamptongirl Sat 15-Aug-09 16:23:39

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now